Sparring tactic

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
My initial strategy was to use a lot of double kicks, feints, switch stances, etc..deception and redirection. Like I said, he doesn't naturally react fast enough for this to really work, which is why I've been working on a new strategy

That reminds me of one of the people I frequently spar. He likes to go with a lot of body fakes, feints, double kicks etc. It works great when the opponent he's sparring bites. When I realize he's getting me to do that I simply stop and reset the action by maintaining a guarding block that allows me to cover the majority of my potential openings. He tends to wind down and fight the fight I want him to fight instead.

Works great because When I don't bite, he gets nothing from the feints. If my hands don't move, and I have no reason to move them, he's acheived nothing because I'm still in position to block the target he's looking to strike.

That aside, somethhing else for you to consider is beating him to the punch. When he goes to kick, kick him first. He's already dropping his guard and sacrificing his balance and mobility while he's attacking. As long as you intercept his attack with one that also allows you to protect yourself from being hit...

Not sure if that last bit's entirely clear, but if you're looking into developing strategy and tactics, you might want to read Living the Martial Way. That book provides a great outline for developing strategy...

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Everyone here has offered great advice. Another thing to try in order to get the guy to open up is to not attack him at all. People tend to leave themselves open when they attack.

At a tournament a winner is usually determined by who ever scores the most points or a certain number of points in a time limit. My goal is not to reach the required number of points to win automatically, but to have the most points after time expires. Even the most defensive of opponents know they need to score a point. After spending half of the time circling you with no action they will try to do something in order to open you up or make something happen. Always be moving so when they attack you are a good angle to deliver a strong, aggressive, continued counter-attack from an angle they can not effectively counter from. It takes a lot of patience, but I am willing to go into overtime tied 0 to 0 if that is what it takes to open you up.

In the class room most guys will get tired of circling you and will do something just to stop the boredom. If they don't, work on your foot work. Work on circling him in such a way that you manuver him towards a wall or out-of-bounds. If you get him in such a bad position you can probably press your attack with good chance of sucess or knock him up against a wall. Fun either way and should "encourage" him into doing something.

Anyway, try that as well. Just don't attack. It is ok to counter-attack to keep him from closing in on you or something or to counter a leg that stays in the air, but just play the waiting game and let him come into your waiting attack.

Latest Discussions