Sparring someone with their knee up :)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If they have rules that don't allow them I want to understand how that works with the earlier comment (#27) since the fastest way to resolve a conflict can easily involve groin strikes, eye pokes and biting. Many MMA fights are "Stopped" due to the Groin Shot or the eye poke. Not allowing them would lead to the same "
"sub-conscious restrictions as a result of habit"

:

a.v said:
My basics and general understanding of self-defense, introduced to me by my Seniors, was fixated on finding the fastest way to resolve a conflict.

"Train how you fight" (although where possible, apply "Train harder than you fight")
Given this, I feel that point sparring and complying with rules can cause natural, sub-conscious restrictions as a result of habit.
Hence, this nature can disturb the destructive nature of any style.
The "/s" at the end of my post was meant to denote sarcasm.

I agree with you 100%.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Suppose someone inexperienced (like me) is point-sparring against someone more experienced with good flexibility and strong balance. They hold their lead knee up high and are able to use it both defensively to keep you away and offensively to throw a side kick or roundhouse. How does one get around that and actually have a chance at scoring?

Thanks,
Here are some possibilities under a WT rule set.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Suppose someone inexperienced (like me) is point-sparring against someone more experienced with good flexibility and strong balance. They hold their lead knee up high and are able to use it both defensively to keep you away and offensively to throw a side kick or roundhouse. How does one get around that and actually have a chance at scoring?

Thanks,
I used to tell my students to never let a one-legged person beat you. There are a couple of things to try.

Immediately make a hard move in the opposite direction. Visualize your opponent with his right leg up, throwing round kicks at you. He is the center of the clock and you are on the 12 o'clock line. Immediately move to his 9 o'clock. He has to shift against his kicking leg to follow you and while he is shifting, close the gap, jam the leg and punch. Or if he puts the leg down, time it and as soon as it starts to drop, close, jam and punch.

One of my students got really good with what he called the suicide squeeze. He got kicked a lot until he developed his timing, but after that, he never lost to a one-legged wonder. He would simply time his opponent and charge straight in on the rechamber with a kihap that sounded like a T-Rex getting ready for lunch. Block, jam and punch. If was fun watching him do that in tournaments.

Latest Discussions