Sparring - Sink or swim?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We start at a low level, and work our way up.

In arnis, the techniques we practice are the ones we use in sparring; same in JKD. In many arts one practices techniques that perhaps can't be used in sparring (e.g., clawing techniques) or don't work well in such a setting (as opposed to when one is grabbed by the lapels, say). It makes a difference.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since there are many kinds of kumite, I'll just limit my discussion to free-sparring.

I've seen several philosophies carried out at the various schools at which I trained. I've also seen each one work just fine.

At some schools, they'll start you out right was as a white belt. Some sensei will only allow such white belts to go slowly. Others will allow normal speed fighting, and others will even allow full contact, although this is limited to a few select styles.

Some schools will make you wait until you have at least gotten your yellow belt (assuming yellow comes after white). The sensei usually constantly emphasizes that the student should keep things simple, and not try anything complex at this point.

Some schools make you wait until you are at least an advanced student (3rd kyu / brown belt). Their philosophies are that you should be proficient with the techniques first, before applying them.

Which one is the best? I honestly cannot say answer that, since any of the above methods can work just fine, if your methods of teaching are solid. The ones who follow Mas Oyama's methods (full contact at white belt) usually end up being a good group of karateka, and can refine their techniques along the way. Those who wait until the techniques are already refined do just fine from the start. Who's to say who is right or wrong as long as it works?

The way I see it, if the sensei is following a proven cirriculum, and is a reasonably good teacher, then I would certainly trust him to decide when is the right time for someone.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Merriam-Webster defines a gauntlet as: a double file of men facing each other and armed with clubs or other weapons with which to strike at an individual who is made to run between them.

Last night, we had a similar exercise: one person, say the defender, stood before a line made of the rest of the class. On 'hajime!', the first person in the line stepped in to spar with the defender. Each consecutive start brought a fresh fighter to that person until, one at a time, the entire class had opposed him. Then the first person became the last person in the line and the first person in the line became the defender.

That's sort of a gauntlet, too.

egg
That is pretty close. The only difference is that the one that screwed up is always the one going down the line sparring with the different fighters. This person keeps going until they have found the error of their ways and know better next time.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We start sparring once we reach our second belt rank, and we are pretty much thrown into the thick of it really, which can be very scary escpecially for those who have really no idea on what they are doing (that would be me). Now even though I am higher up in the belt ranks I still hate sparring, so I don't think I have really learnt anything other than the fact it can be alot safer to sparr higher ranked people then lower ranked people as the higher ranks know more about what they are doing and have more control!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Coung Nhu it is acctuly against the rules to start sparring untill green belt (thats the third rank by the way). Getting to green belt takes normally about 1 - 1 and a half years. Though every stlye does things differnitly. Anouther example in Coung Nhu when you get to brown belt (fourth) you can start to sweep other brown and abouve. A more "normal" thing is at black you can punch to the face. Brown belt will take about three years, and black six. Hard huh (joke)? One of our students is a 5th dan in Tae Kwon Do and says that a black belt in Tae Kwon Do is about as hard as a green belt in Coung Nhu. and she's a two black stripe, you have to test for stripes in Coung Nhu by the way.
Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John
sorry about getting off topic

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Imagine signing up for Tennis and being told it's against the rules to have a match until at least a years training
nixweiss.gif

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Green, being as polite as possible, are you talking to me or someone else. I add the polite as possible because last time I asked this question to some one they assumed I was being rude.

John

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, to add to conversation nothing more, tennis is just tennis. Martial arts aren't all sparring, or all fighting, or all forms, or all any one thing in particular. Martial arts a way of defending and perfecting yourself, mentally, physically, spiritually. True you could say and do the same with tennis. But many old, old, old schools of martial arts didn't do much of any sparring. Most modern schools will, but martial arts are not just about sparring. Tennis is mostly about playing a game. True you have to do much other play games, but every thing you do when you play the game, you practice outside games, and vice-versa. With martial arts a lot of what you do when you practice outside the ring is not what you do in it. I have to go now, but we'll talk latter.

John

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Green, no I cannot give examples of my comment that many old schools didn't do much sparring, come to think of it I probably shouldn't have put that down. As for Arnisador, once again tennis is a sport for most of the people involved. Martial arts are a way of life. It’s like comparing the growth of potatoes and turnips. They can be similar, but they simply are different things. Most of the Wing Chun and other kung fu schools around were I life do similar to what coung nhu does; you can’t spar until you have a good feel for the techniques.

Now if you're experienced in another style (tae kwon do people are pretty common cross trainers in Coung Nhu) you're allowed to spar when you start. But at Green Belt you have to spar in class, and Brown Belt you have to spar at tests. I hope this stays casual conversation and doesn't end a verbal slug fight.

John

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I agree with the concept of making sure a student has a good touch on basics before being thrown into the ring I feel that a year is a rather long time to wait. I've heard that the first 6 months to year is the most dangerous time for a beginning martial artist. Why? Because they are developing new reflexes, ones that may be opposite of 'natural' pre-existing ones. Like learning to step into an attack to jam up the opponent, not many inexperienced, untrained people react that way, the usual reaction would be to drop back, to get out of the way. Sparring will help smooth out these reflexes, especially if the sparring sessions are with a seasoned instructor with plenty of sparring experience. A careful balance must be maintained when teaching a newbie how to spar; you must ensure that no bad habits are formed, while simultaneously encouraging the positive things.

Just my opinion

-Josh

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good point I suppose. Either way, I suppose it is mostly a matter of style, school, and personal oppoin. But that is how we do things in the Coung Nhu world, and we can be kinda crazy at times.

John

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Almost forgot, sparring, Randori, boxing, wrestling, sticky hands, and so forth may help the way you react to situations, but it is not the same. And the way I understand what you just said Mr. Doublejay, you think it will. Any form of freestyle has rules that restrict your actions. Sparring may help you do some things in a fight, but the only true way to make sure you react correctly in a fight is to fight. Sparring and so forth will help, but only so much. They are not the same. And it took me over a year to build the muscle memory to do much of anything in a sparring, I’d be afraid of how I would do in fight. Sparring and so forth takes allot of muscle memory, which can take a very long time to build. If you practice only the moves for a good long time until you can do them with any skill at all. o.k. I think that is all might have forgotten something else (joke).

John

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are right, sparring is not fighting. But the confidence that can be built up in sparring will give a student faith in their technique. Simply put if the person doesn't belive that they can fight, they have already lost. Sparring doesn't make good fighters, techniques don't make good fighters, drills don't make good fighters. Its the combination of those, and the confidence of those skills that make a good fighter.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dubljay said:
You are right, sparring is not fighting.
And lab mice aren't people, but I'd imagine most people would prefer that it be tested on the mice, before on them.

The mat is our lab, everything should be put to the test there.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
On similar lines to that, we have a sparring thing they jokingly call mortal combat. A person stands in the center of a circle of people, all of whom will attack when their number is called by an instructor. You in turn must block and be ready for the next attack.
In our school, that's called 'no mind'. It's good real training in that you have no idea of what to expect, as in the real world.

I started martial arts in a style where sparring was taught from white belt, each session beginning with drills and then pairing off with a person who wanted to practice what you did, i.e., just basic drills, light contact, or all-out sparring. One could tailor one's training. Drawback: since it was voluntary as to what you wanted to practice, a lot of people stuck to Level 1 - drills - and thus deprived themselves of the full benefit of sparring.

Been in tkd - sparring in that particular dojang was voluntary. Watched people spar for the first time on their black belt test.

In my kenpo school, I began sparring when I earned my purple belt. We are required to have a certain number of hours' experience sparring before we are considered for testing for black. Again, it's voluntary as to how many sparring classes one attends, but you'll be Brown I a long long time if you don't come to spar. And -- one deprives oneself of the 'real' aspect of their training. Our master instructor teaches sparring utilizing our kenpo self defense techniques (not just a free-for-all in the ring), which really puts things into perspective. Like a chess game, we have to 'condition' our opponent into thinking we're attacking one body part when our target was really somewhere else all along.

As to having women in your sparring class. Benefits us tremendously, since the chances are we will be attacked by a man, not another woman. Benefits you males also, since our femaleness is our best disguise -- teaches you to never underestimate your opponent.:asian:

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good points Doublejay and Mr. Green. But like I saide earlier, it seams to be a matter of style, school, instructer, and personal oppoin. And to kempo tiger, that last line is pretty funny (and not I'm being sarcatisic and don't think you could do anything to me, cause you could probably kick my butt in no time). But keep in mind that most of the people who have beat me up, not including sparring and the like, were girls. They also tend to be short and/or attractive. but thats really just me.

John

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
After the first two classes, I got thrown into it. My opponent was only allowed to lightly tap me, but I was scared all the same. He was alot bigger and older than me. So there I was with my little white belt at 14, trying to fight a huge blue belt. It was a bundle of laughs for everyone else....and now for me too.

PS. Andrew Green, nice ninja chick picture. He's cute!