Sparring gear

L

loun

I am a just starting to learn sparring and I was interested in purchasing head gear with protection for my face. There are 2 types I see available, a wire cage and a clear plastic shield. Has anyone used either of these 2 styles and what are the advantages of one vs. the other? thanks.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used the one with the plastic shield. It was ok, but I wasn't that crazy about it. Using the one with the wire might provide for better air circulation while wearing it.

Personally, I've gone back to using the one with the open face.

Mike

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Group :)

I've used both types of cages.. and was Not satisfied with either.. The wire type cage was held together in the back via velcro and was hot and bulky.. the clear shield fogged up and the bottom edge is very sharp and actually cut my face when it slid down..

I no longer use any helmet unless at a tourny and then would only use an open face.

Best advice.. Learn to bob n' weave and avoid face hits :)

Have fun~!

~Tess

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Years ago you used to see guys with a face mask frm Hockey i think it was. No, not the Jason version, a half face type

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sparring ... gear? you are confusing me.... (I rarely use any kind of gear anymore, usually just a pair of bag gloves if anything)

I have never been a fan of helmets, however I would reccomemnd the wire mask as opposed to the plastic shield. Better air circulation and helmets are hot to begin with, sweat getting smeared on the inside of the plastic would create problems for me.

And just to point out the obvious, regardless of the fact you are wearing "protection" and working with people who know how to control their techniques (and attitude) do not treat your pads as impervious armor. Neglecting the fact that you are participating in a contest of combative skills will lead to injuries.

Just my thoughts

-Josh-

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Probably refers to the wires and screws that hold everything together now!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well gee.. dontcha know this is the day of "I'm going to sue you~!" Student's, especially younger, untrained ones, do need to wear protective gear.. cuz I've been hit by a yellow belt and they have very pointy elbows ;)

Seriously.. If you're trained.. fine don't wear it.. if you're not used to being hit and hitting.. wear it~!

If you're in a commercial school.. most likely your Head Instructor will have rules of wearing 'gear'.
Some Tournaments require full gear even through BB.
So to each his own.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
Well gee.. dontcha know this is the day of "I'm going to sue you~!" Student's, especially younger, untrained ones, do need to wear protective gear.. cuz I've been hit by a yellow belt and they have very pointy elbows ;)

Seriously.. If you're trained.. fine don't wear it.. if you're not used to being hit and hitting.. wear it~!

If you're in a commercial school.. most likely your Head Instructor will have rules of wearing 'gear'.
Some Tournaments require full gear even through BB.
So to each his own.

So very true Tess. I will wear gear when working with novices or if the person wishes to wear them. I prefer to not wear gear, but I only go without is when I am working with some one that is willing to do the same, and if I trust them to not lose control (needless to say its a short list).

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Face Block. Hardly has to be taught, can always fall back on when other defenses fail and will exhaust the other guy in due time--almost perfect!

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I spent years using my mouth, nose and eyes to protect my face. What's face gear?D
I always found waking up from a KO to be a neat experience. First there was the thought, "why am I laying here?" Then the thought "where is here?" And the care and attention I would get from other class members was kind of like icing on the cake.

And I don't recall having too much of a headache afterwards. And I don't got no brain damage.

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
Hi and welcome to the Group :)

I've used both types of cages.. and was Not satisfied with either.. The wire type cage was held together in the back via velcro and was hot and bulky.. the clear shield fogged up and the bottom edge is very sharp and actually cut my face when it slid down..

I no longer use any helmet unless at a tourny and then would only use an open face.

Best advice.. Learn to bob n' weave and avoid face hits :)

Have fun~!

~Tess
Who would wanna hit a pretty face like that!:idunno:

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Funny...Really Kind Odd...No one seems to have a problem busting me one in the grill.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Funny...Really Kind Odd...No one seems to have a problem busting me one in the grill.
When I spar without gear my friend has a nasty habit of a) low shots (sometimes i have a cup on but not always) and b) seeing if he can bloody my nose or knock out my mouth guard (i dont spar with out one dental work is not fun).

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh My Gawd.. I was just perusing through the New 2005 Century catalog... Bright Canary Yellow Sparring gear....

sure.. here's my head.. over here.. nope.. here.. Just hit me.. I may as well have a bulls eye painted on it.. and the gloves.. See my hand coming? How bout this foot......

Whatever happened to just plain black......

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
Oh My Gawd.. I was just perusing through the New 2005 Century catalog... Bright Canary Yellow Sparring gear....

sure.. here's my head.. over here.. nope.. here.. Just hit me.. I may as well have a bulls eye painted on it.. and the gloves.. See my hand coming? How bout this foot......

Whatever happened to just plain black......
Here I thought the name of the game was to minimize target availability not turn your head into a target. Yellow is the most attractive color to the human eye.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
'xactly... I guess there must be some demand for such an obtuse color choice..

and what's with the gi colors.. and fabric.. there's a multitude of pages of some new stretchy materical called Adrenaline stretch.. you can get a traditional gi made from this stuff.. *pffts

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This must be why I don't do well at tournaments (not that i go to many). My gear and gi aren't flashy enough. Who would have thought that one would stand out wearing a solid black traditional style gi.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Century appears quite taken with glittery things

I saw the traditional strech Gi. Hopefully we will get the best of both worlds the ability to kick high with embarassing skin tight pants on...

Latest Discussions