Sparring during testing

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
First of all, I like to see sparring and I admire your courage of exposing yourself that way.

Regarding the level of contact (which is not your choice) in my opinion should be on other level for a Black Belt. While I advise light contact, for non competitor, as a general rule, a Black Belt should know what he can do under pressure, with fear (or at least under actual danger) and, eventually, injured. Without that, one can freeze easier under real threat (if it matters).

One can discover quickly our weak and strong points. I discovered I was not fast enough to defend punches, but could quite easily survive to punches that put blood on my face. It was 10 years ago and still a good feeling about that. :) Also had to spar hardly against a new fresh opponent every minute or so, for a few intense minutes. I think these experiences were the best I had after 10 years training. Besides high rank graduations (and very rare moments), training was physically suitable for old people. I still like that way...

Thank You. I just received my 1st dan today. I hope in my journey as a MA I do get these stressful situations during training where I have to perform under high levels of stress. Like I said I have been 1st dan for about 4 hours, so anything that a black belt should possess I have from now until my instructor feels that i am ready to test again to achieve.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good to hear. For a moment there I thought you went back to your old ways of just kicking. lol. I wish you guys could grab legs. It would change your perspective on how to kick and when to kick.

I wish we could too, but like I stated in a previous forum entry my instructor is somewhat paranoid about that. Mainly because he was swept that way and hurt his shoulder, and doesn't want that to happen to his students.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually had a long talk with an Olympic TKD guy about their sparring. We talked about the guard that they use. Basically what I got from the conversation is that Olympic TKD is just the boxing version of kicks. You can't kick in Olympic Boxing , and you can't really punch in Olympic TKD. As far as the Olympic Boxer destroying the TKD guy it would depend what the match is, a boxing match, sure. A TKD match highly unlikely. A free sparring match , this is where it gets tricky. A boxer won't automatically win because he has better hands than the TKD guy. He still has to worry about lightning fast kicks, coming at him from various angles and directions. That match wouldn't be so black and white. Just because they practice sport sparring with their hands down doesn't mean they are unable to put them up, if the rules of the game change.

I always have to laugh when people suggest style A would beat style B, it's unrealistic and is akin to those video games. As you say to hit an Olympic TKD person you'd have to get close and those kicks would make sure you didn't. If they have quick kicks they will also have quick hands when needed, it's like the Judo competitors in the Olympics just because they are bound to the rules in the competition doesn't mean they can't do all the mean stuff when needed.
On a side note we watched a boxing final from Rio last night, it was a farce. The Russian boxer was given the decision over the Azeri despite some very poor boxing, hanging on, going backwards and being on the ropes. He was defensive all the way through the other attacking. The crown booed the decision and the medal ceremony so perhaps the way a boxer can win against a TKD person is to have very poor boxing judges!

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with what you say, but keep in mind he wasn't a black belt yet in the video. He was testing for his 1st dan.
But now he his, without that kind of test (in class, at least).

A black belt should actually DO the job, up to knowing how to do it in a safe environment. So, in my opinion, these tests should start before black belt. Just a few, with a clear purpose, 'cause it is not funny and the outcome, 'random'.

Nevertheless, it is optional and just an opinion (from an average guy). It all depends on where we train and for what purpose, age...

And better that (always light contact) than just go hard getting injuries and without technical progress...

PS: Azulx, you asked opinions. I am sure you take it easy. If you posted yourself being tested, an opinion of a 'keyboard master' does not do any bad to you. ;)

Last edited:

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually had a long talk with an Olympic TKD guy about their sparring. We talked about the guard that they use. Basically what I got from the conversation is that Olympic TKD is just the boxing version of kicks. You can't kick in Olympic Boxing , and you can't really punch in Olympic TKD. As far as the Olympic Boxer destroying the TKD guy it would depend what the match is, a boxing match, sure. A TKD match highly unlikely. A free sparring match , this is where it gets tricky. A boxer won't automatically win because he has better hands than the TKD guy. He still has to worry about lightning fast kicks, coming at him from various angles and directions. That match wouldn't be so black and white. Just because they practice sport sparring with their hands down doesn't mean they are unable to put them up, if the rules of the game change.
No but if a taekwondo guy fights a boxer like that with his hands at his sides it'll be a lot easier to punch him than if he had a guard

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No but if a taekwondo guy fights a boxer like that with his hands at his sides it'll be a lot easier to punch him than if he had a guard
Some boxers also fight hands down. I watched on the ongoing Olympics. :) While I agree with you, everything is possible. For instance, if the taekwondo guy keeps the distance with kicks and footwork, hands down is ok. The success depends more on how skilled is the TKD guy and boxer guy, than where the hands are.

Besides that, TKD hands down is just to make clear that TKD is not karate nor boxing, right?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a TKD practitioner, so take my perspective with the appropriate grains of salt.

The first thing that I notice is the range, especially on the punches. Just because you're going light contact doesn't mean you have to punch and kick from out of range. More than 90% of the punches thrown (both by you and your opponents) couldn't possibly have landed even if the target stood perfectly still and didn't block. I'm not talking about being just a couple of inches short either - they were often a foot or more out of range. The kicks were better, but some of them still seemed to be targeting the arms rather than the head or body.

The next thing I noticed is that you and your opponent are doing a lot of "taking turns", i.e. fighter A advances with a short series of kicks while fighter B retreats, then (usually when they reach the edge of the mat), fighter B attacks with a short sequence while Fighter A retreats - back and forth. It's a really good thing to break that mindset. Get used to working on counterattacks, stop-hits, setups, maintaining continuous pressure when you can, working on changing angles and broken rhythm when you can't. Fighting should not be a turn based game. On the plus side, you were less guilty of that than you were in the video from your first geup test, so I can see improvement.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Depends when they go up and down.

This was a while back. But Steve Vick used to smash people in the kickboxing circuit

So there is a level where you can get away with it.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

This was a while back. But Steve Vick used to smash people in the kickboxing circuit

Yeah, there are a lot of good fighters who tend to keep their hands low. The key is having the experience to know when and where it is safe to drop the hands and when they need to be up. For those people who are not experienced professional fighters, it's generally safer to keep the hands up by default.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, there are a lot of good fighters who tend to keep their hands low. The key is having the experience to know when and where it is safe to drop the hands and when they need to be up. For those people who are not experienced professional fighters, it's generally safer to keep the hands up by default.
Anderson silvas experience didn't help save him

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poor OP he posts a video of himself which is always brave on here and we are now getting MMA videos.
Azulx is looking for constructive criticism not a replay of an MMA fight.
I'd say congratulations and well done for gaining your blackbelt and now the hard work begins lol!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Yes there is a level where you can get away with it. (The music that is)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree on the distance issue. Even if you guys wanted to make more contact, you couldn't from where you are.

If this is the most contact you're allowed to make maybe think about shoving on some boxing gloves and a mouth guard against a buddy who has good control, and try to hit each other's chins / noses / heads. Educational, and makes kicking as an entry strategy naturally have better distance.

Essentially, stop backing off and start circling and sidestepping.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Poor OP he posts a video of himself which is always brave on here and we are now getting MMA videos.
I'd say congratulations and well done for gaining your blackbelt and now the hard work begins lol!

Already gave my constructive criticism so now I'm discussing something else that's being discussed.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Already gave my constructive criticism so now I'm discussing something else that's being discussed.

12002294_856729097773054_7125758823042610974_n.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It is the same thing. Op can look at how top fighters apply elements he may be able to use.

Moontasori. May get a look in before this thread is over as well.

There is a lot of common elements in fighting. And there are lots of top fighters who are conveniently filmed using them on you tube.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is the same thing. Op can look at how top fighters apply elements he may be able to use.

Moontasori. May get a look in before this thread is over as well.

There is a lot of common elements in fighting. And there are lots of top fighters who are conveniently filmed using them on you tube.

Still off topic though because if the OP wanted to look at videos he will, without us telling him. In a grading though he will be expected to spar in the style he is grading in so MMA or other fighting videos would not be of use. The OP posted asking for a critique on his sparring for his black belt grading, he'd said the instructor wanted them to spar the way he was in his video. Yes, in my opinion it's somewhat limited but that's what they do. For him to add elements from other fighting styles ( which to my mind would help) might have resulted in a fail in a grading.

'Moontasori.' sorry don't know what this is.

Latest Discussions