Sparring during testing

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Still off topic though because if the OP wanted to look at videos he will, without us telling him. In a grading though he will be expected to spar in the style he is grading in so MMA or other fighting videos would not be of use. The OP posted asking for a critique on his sparring for his black belt grading, he'd said the instructor wanted them to spar the way he was in his video. Yes, in my opinion it's somewhat limited but that's what they do. For him to add elements from other fighting styles ( which to my mind would help) might have resulted in a fail in a grading.

'Moontasori.' sorry don't know what this is.

Kind of" absorb what is useful" idea. (Ghandi said that by the way)

Moontasari is a tkd monster who is bashing his way through the ufc at the moment.

Doesn't bounce. Which is interesting.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congratulations on earning your black belt. It's definitely a milestone achievement, but it's not the end of the road by any means. Actually, it's a new beginning. You proved you're proficient in the basics of your art and you're ready to learn more advanced stuff. IMO 1st dan is where you start really learning what your art has to offer. Lay people think black belt is some sort of mastery. It's nonsense; 1st dan means you've moved passed the very basics and now you're ready to start learning.

Some students struggle with that transition, and some teachers struggle with teaching black belts differently than kyu ranks.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No but if a taekwondo guy fights a boxer like that with his hands at his sides it'll be a lot easier to punch him than if he had a guard

If a tkd guy fights a boxer in a tkd match, he can keep his hands wherever he wants and still win. Different rules...

If a baseball pitcher used the same throwing motion to play quarterback, he'd take lots of sacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk