Space Colonization

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that it's pretty obvious that we (humans and whatever other lifeforms we take with us) will colonize space at some point in future. How long do you figure until that happens? BTW, I would define colonization as having a significant population of at least 100. And yes, I'm a geek.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mid to late August...???

Honestly? Quite a while. The setbacks that we've been encountering with human spaceflight recently have really put a damper on those plans. The shuttle disaster(both), no US spaceships carrying people into space, and the problems with the ISS that seem to pop up every other week Not to mention that the international has, for the most part, been doing extremely well with unmanned mission the Mars rovers are doing unbelievably spectacular. The Cassini-Hugyens probe, was a great sucess, despite some minor flaws.

The modern world has become very risk averse when it comes to exploration and there is certainly not a thing wrong with trying to save lives. But to make gains you do need to take risks. Kind of like, "gotta play big to win big". Think of how many lives were lost in exploration of this world? Not that I'm advocating to strap some people to rockets and see how it turns out...but don't expect the process to move along quickly if you don't. Where would we go? We've already put space craft around almost all planets, (don't know if we've hit Pluto yet), we have craft on the moon, Titan, and multiple vehicles on Mars. I feel pretty safe betting I'll have left earth long before living people start to do it in any significant numbers.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the things I think about with space colonization is that people forget just how "earthbound" we really are. Our entire physical makeup is "designed" (evolved or created ;) ) for the conditions on this planet. I believe that scientists are discovering that even relatively short periods of time in space can significantly effect the bodys systems.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides...we have yet to develop warp speed... :D TW

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I believe for that for colonization to become a reality, there will have to be a serious financial incentive. Specificly, there will have to be a need for some resource in space or on another planet that can't be obtained here on Earth.

So in other words, support colonization, destroy the environment! :D (j/k)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zepp said:
I believe for that for colonization to become a reality, there will have to be a serious financial incentive. Specificly, there will have to be a need for some resource in space or on another planet that can't be obtained here on Earth.

So in other words, support colonization, destroy the environment! :D (j/k)
Space Beer?

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wait a second space beer...Space babes...COme on now we can do it. Ok warp drive first. Techno punk you think you can handle that? We also will need phasers. Ummm Zepp you handle that. bignick You can deal with the computer stuff. Umm I'll handle manage this project. That will be the hardest parts right.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Since I work at a brewery then, I am hereby electing myself as official beer supplier...

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think it would be fun to develop a system of MA in zero G. That and some recreational games and activites could be completely revamped for zero G. We can't forget about reproduction. :uhyeah:

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flash lights you say hmmm...
Nah we will use martial arts. I suppose combat would change alot in a 0G environment.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
The development of the "Scramjet" rocket might let us finally slip the bonds of Earth cheaply. If we can do that, maybe build the theoretical "space elevator" that has the buzz going, then we'll be able to colonize.

I'd love it to happen in my lifetime. Unless medicine does something quickly to stave off the ravages of age, I fear it'll be something you youngsters enjoy.

Now...Triton has methane. Megatons of it. Could we use that? Bring it back here...cheaply? It's all frozen, so maybe we could use it to cool our beer?

We could put a 7-11 on Triton as a way station on the way to Pluto. Or something. "Cold beer and Eats." How about a T/A truckstop? Put a "Cracker Barrel" on that puppy and you'll have the Solar System overrun in no time.

Regards,

Steve

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you just need Star Trek food synthesizers. They made everything in those machines including beer or better yet Mai Tai's! ;) More work for Technopunk. TW

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
No, you just need Star Trek food synthesizers. They made everything in those machines including beer or better yet Mai Tai's! ;) More work for Technopunk. TW
Ya, but that was Synthahol, which gave the flavor, but didn't make you drunk. pssh. What's the point?? :p Bring on the Romulan Ale!!

And I'd rather visit the The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. :)

Latest Discussions