South Beach Diet?

S

sifu nick

I was going to try the South Beach diet but after reading the book I don't think I can do it. It just seems to time consuming with the meal preps. I have very little time to cook for myself.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
sifu nick said:
I was going to try the South Beach diet but after reading the book I don't think I can do it. It just seems to time consuming with the meal preps. I have very little time to cook for myself.
Actually the diet is quite simple. A small meat portion (about the size of a pack of playing cards), increase your vegetables and cut out simple sugars and white flour and white potatoes. The books give recipes but they are just suggestions. Diets that work must be portable and non labor intense. Also use nuts (ie. almonds, pistacio, etc. ) as snacks. Think of it as a long term change in the way you eat and it can make a difference.

Jeff

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through about three months on the diet last year strictly to their menu. After that we just ate about the same way but not as much preparation. Like chicken breast, I just broiled and seasoned. I discovered which things I didn't like, like spinach in oil on a poached egg. I rather would eat it steamed separately-nuked in the microwave. I loved the noon salads though especially the raspberry fresh spinach salad. The SB chopped salad, the Greek Salad, etc. I didn't eat as much fish as the diet wants, especially salmon twice a week especially in view of the latest news about mercury. There are apparently two types of salmon, the commercially grown lighter pink salmon is worse. So we got into the habit of eating salads with green peppers, nuts, soybeans, feta cheese, papaya, etc. (not all that together) I discovered low carb bread and some are better than others. We have Minneapolis bakery that makes fabulous breads with all kinds of different seeds and nuts in them. I like eggbeaters and I probably wouldn't have tried it before. So it definitely is a lifestyle change. It also allows "'bad weeks" so that you can redo the first two weeks of the diet and get back on. Its good for you, what can I say, get the book and see for yourself. TW

S

sifu nick

Yea, I need to try something. It's the cutting out the carbs that kills me. I can do away with fatty and fried foods easier than I can cut out pastas and breads. I bought the book, so i'm gonna try it out.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do a modified Sugar Busters! diet. Lost the 25 pounds I wanted to in the first 6 weeks and have maintained ever since. No more blood pressure meds and total cholesterol dropped from 226 to 173.

By modified I mean I make sure at least 2/3 is plant life and take some suppliments. I wouldn't call Sugar Busters! low carb. It avoids carbs that are high in the glycemic index. Here are some links to glycemic indexes.
A friend of mine really liked SugarBusters, it sounds good. I'll have to look at the book again - she loaned me hers for a little bit a while ago, but I'll need to look at it more thoroughly....