Something I've never seen in Taekwondo

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We only had a couple of classes this week, due to the holidays. Class this week was run with the template: student asks a question, coaches answer, then students drill the answer. It was a very unique experience in and of itself.

The second day is what I really wanted to talk about, though. Class was being run by a brown belt. Our professor (4th degree black belt) would not answer any questions without first asking permission of the brown belt. There were a few times the brown belt looked to him to see how he wanted the brown belt to answer. "It's your class", and then the brown belt would answer. If Professor had anything to add, he would offer it up humbly or as an addition, instead of acting like he's correcting the brown belt.

One question came up on wrestling. Brown belt said, "I know how I want to answer, but I know we have someone who can answer it better than I can," and he turned it over to a blue belt (that's also been grappling for 20+ years and was top-10 US in high school wrestling). Professor said, "I was going to suggest the same thing."

In all my experience in Taekwondo, I have never seen the Master turn the floor over to another instructor, except as a way to test their knowledge. In fact, I've been told by multiple Masters to only teach what's in the curriculum or only teach what they've told me, and not what I've learned elsewhere.

And it's strange, because I feel more valued for my leadership as a blue belt in BJJ and as a beginner in Muay Thai than I recently did as a 3rd degree black belt in TKD.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
We only had a couple of classes this week, due to the holidays. Class this week was run with the template: student asks a question, coaches answer, then students drill the answer. It was a very unique experience in and of itself.

The second day is what I really wanted to talk about, though. Class was being run by a brown belt. Our professor (4th degree black belt) would not answer any questions without first asking permission of the brown belt. There were a few times the brown belt looked to him to see how he wanted the brown belt to answer. "It's your class", and then the brown belt would answer. If Professor had anything to add, he would offer it up humbly or as an addition, instead of acting like he's correcting the brown belt.

One question came up on wrestling. Brown belt said, "I know how I want to answer, but I know we have someone who can answer it better than I can," and he turned it over to a blue belt (that's also been grappling for 20+ years and was top-10 US in high school wrestling). Professor said, "I was going to suggest the same thing."

In all my experience in Taekwondo, I have never seen the Master turn the floor over to another instructor, except as a way to test their knowledge. In fact, I've been told by multiple Masters to only teach what's in the curriculum or only teach what they've told me, and not what I've learned elsewhere.

And it's strange, because I feel more valued for my leadership as a blue belt in BJJ and as a beginner in Muay Thai than I recently did as a 3rd degree black belt in TKD.
That is Always the right way to do it.
I am very sorry, but you have just had bad school TKD experiences. That is not the norm IMHO.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Quite normal situation in my gym. If any of profesors knows that any students knows some technique better/ knows different solutions tested with good results during competitions, never hesitates to ask this student to show it. Sometimes main BJJ coach asks students (usually black belts, but brown and everen purple) to conduct the classes and he trains as regular student.
Quite refreshing experience for everybody.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite normal situation in my gym. If any of profesors knows that any students knows some technique better/ knows different solutions tested with good results during competitions, never hesitates to ask this student to show it. Sometimes main BJJ coach asks students (usually black belts, but brown and everen purple) to conduct the classes and he trains as regular student.
Some of my favorite classes are when I turn things over to a student and can wander through the class fine tuning things with individuals.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Class was being run by a brown belt. Our professor (4th degree black belt) would not answer any questions without first asking permission of the brown belt. There were a few times the brown belt looked to him to see how he wanted the brown belt to answer. "It's your class", and then the brown belt would answer. If Professor had anything to add, he would offer it up humbly or as an addition, instead of acting like he's correcting the brown belt.
This is leadership development.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Smart instructor. Being an instructor should Never mean you can't learn anything new. Quite the opposite really.

Latest Discussions