So...Who's Teaching The Correct System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenpohack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Judge for yourselves if Mr. Tatum has all of Mr. Parker's speed, power, technical expertise, and depth of knowledge.

http://www.ltatum.com/TipOfTheWeek.html

There are 40 videos to reference on this site. Maybe you're right. Maybe a blue belt and a First Black just lack the qualifications to judge Mr. Tatum's skill (despite having a combined IQ well over 300). That's ok. Since everyone else on the forum has so much more experience, go ahead and critique Mr. Tatum. Give us your take on what he does. Pull no punches, I'm sure he can take it. He's not sensitive enough to be a part of this forum. He doesn't cry when someone offers an opinion that he doesn't like. By the way, if you need tissue, Walgreens is open 24 hours. Don't forget the Vagisil, it helps in those sensitive moments.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpohack said:
Anyone with half a brain and vision correctable to 20/20 can judge between Tatum, Planas, Kelly, Chapel...They're all obviously very talented kenpoists. I'm hard pressed to say anything bad about any of them. They all also have distinctly different styles and modes of movement. I believe Brian and I are on the same wavelength when we say that Tatum seems to move closest to Ed Parker. That doesn't mean that any other senior is not skilled. It just means that Tatum is likely to have spent the most time on the mats with Parker considering his close proximity to Mr. Parker. None of the other seniors lived close enough to Mr. Parker to train with him as much as Mr. Tatum (maybe with the exception of Mr. Chapel, I only say that because I don't know where he hails from). All the aforementioned seniors are clearly masters of kenpo. I just believe that Mr. Tatum moves the closest to Mr. Parker and teaches an unaltered version of the system. Remember, this is alot like comparing a Corvette, a Viper and a GT40: I would drive any one of them in a heartbeat, despite having a preference.

I was leaving this thread alone until I saw this very sensible post. Not sure about the proximity viewpoint as I don't have the "official" record of how much time Mr. Parker actually spent in California during the said time period as opposed to his worldwide travels. But the viewpoints on how to compare the seniors (in bold) I couldn't have said better myself. All are excellent though some people have a personal preference for one over the other. I can respect that greatly.

Full Salute! :asian:

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpohack said:
Judge for yourselves if Mr. Tatum has all of Mr. Parker's speed, power, technical expertise, and depth of knowledge.

http://www.ltatum.com/TipOfTheWeek.html

There are 40 videos to reference on this site. Maybe you're right. Maybe a blue belt and a First Black just lack the qualifications to judge Mr. Tatum's skill (despite having a combined IQ well over 300). That's ok. Since everyone else on the forum has so much more experience, go ahead and critique Mr. Tatum. Give us your take on what he does. Pull no punches, I'm sure he can take it. He's not sensitive enough to be a part of this forum. He doesn't cry when someone offers an opinion that he doesn't like. By the way, if you need tissue, Walgreens is open 24 hours. Don't forget the Vagisil, it helps in those sensitive moments.

So you are both geniuses (the official term for a score that high) with IQ's over the 150 mark? If that is true I am impressed to say the least as IQ scores in that range are VERY RARE (about 0.25% of the poulation). It also begs the question why someone with such a high intelligence quotient would state that 40 video clips (although all 40 aren't available on the site as about 5 or so were lost on a server a while back if my memory serves me correctly) that amount to just over an hour of video would be an accurate barometer of the depth of someone's knowledge in a field they've studied for over 30 years. Personally, I'd be insulted if one hour of video even scratched the depth of my knowledge or technical expertise in an area I'm considered to be skilled in.

My critique of Mr. Tatum (My opinions):
--Moves well, possibly even more fluid than the videos I have of Mr. Parker, very explosive, very fast.
--Has an intimate knowledge of the kenpo system, does pack alot of info in a short clip, even mixes things up from the ideal on a few clips.
--The kenpo ground technique clip is questionable, it is applicable and the concepts are sound, but that particular application is highly unlikely for two reasons. 1) the way the person is "mounted" shows a lack of knowledge and skill which decreases the likelihood of them getting to that position and 2) if the person is skilled enough to get a trained kenpoist to that postion, they are most probably not going to mount in such an unstable fashion.
--Does Mr. Tatum's signature "reverb" count as wasted motion? I haven't seen enough to know if he does that all the time or if it's just flash for the camera.
--Some moves are different from those of seniors who "predate" Mr. Tatum and seniors who came later, this brings to question "were the moves changed by Mr. Parker and then taught to Mr. Tatum or did Mr. Tatum change them himself?" Everyone has a different view on this and Mr. Tatum may be the only person who has THE answer other than the senior who taught him through 1st brown.

Off Topic: With IQ scores that high people are generally given notice of "areas of concentration" for the types of intelligence they excel in which gives them such a high score. What are the types of intelligence that you have a concentration in? I have a high IQ score as well and would like to compare notes.

Disclaimer: There is no intended sarcasm in this post. All questions are genuine and all stated opinions are just that, my opinon.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
kenpohack said:
Anyone with half a brain and vision correctable to 20/20 can judge between Tatum, Planas, Kelly, Chapel...They're all obviously very talented kenpoists. I'm hard pressed to say anything bad about any of them. They all also have distinctly different styles and modes of movement. I believe Brian and I are on the same wavelength when we say that Tatum seems to move closest to Ed Parker. That doesn't mean that any other senior is not skilled. It just means that Tatum is likely to have spent the most time on the mats with Parker considering his close proximity to Mr. Parker. None of the other seniors lived close enough to Mr. Parker to train with him as much as Mr. Tatum (maybe with the exception of Mr. Chapel, I only say that because I don't know where he hails from). All the aforementioned seniors are clearly masters of kenpo. I just believe that Mr. Tatum moves the closest to Mr. Parker and teaches an unaltered version of the system. Remember, this is alot like comparing a Corvette, a Viper and a GT40: I would drive any one of them in a heartbeat, despite having a preference.

As I've said, my knowledge of how others move is limited compared to others on here. That being said, could you expand on this comment a bit? How much 'altering' would you say Palanzo, LaBounty, Planas, etc. have done? I'm sure that everyone has made slight changes due to body size, reach, etc., but not necessarily changing the moves in a technique.

Mike

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thread closed pending review.

MJS
MT Supermod

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

The rules & policies of MartialTalk are in place to ensure we maintain a FRIENDLY discussion of the Martial Arts. The recent posts in this thread have shown a disregard, if not for just the specific rules, then to the intent of the MartialTalk community. For these reasons this thread shall remain locked.

Lisa Deneka
MartialTalk Super Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions