Hidden Moves in Short 2's Cup & Saucer?

AmericanKenpoChris

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I recall someone talking about hidden moves in a cup and saucer per short form 2 for a wrist grab. Can anyone illustrate this or other moves from the cup and saucer?

Thank you,
Chris

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
do your cup and saucer move slowly and you should be able to see the grab and pull motion there. From that point work with a partner and other things should become clearer.

Respectfully,
Marlon

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
AmericanKenpoChris said:
I recall someone talking about hidden moves in a cup and saucer per short form 2 for a wrist grab. Can anyone illustrate this or other moves from the cup and saucer?

Thank you,
Chris
Hi folks!
Dear Chris,
from a natural stance, have your opponent execute a front left hand direct wrist grab to your right wrist,then close your hand into a fist as you turn your hand clockwise and execute a back knuckle strike to the inside of your opponent's wrist [which should be palm up in both instances] as you draw your right hand to chamber position [palm up]
then,from the same stance,have your opponent execute a front right hand direct wrist grab to left wrist. Then, close your left hand into a fist as you bend your left elbow as your left hand turns clockwise so that it is palm down and your knuckles are facing 3 o'clock with your hand in a horizontal position [palm down] {simulating the action of "checking your watch"} as your left hand moves to your right hip accross your body.
now, combine the 2 previous actions to acheive the "hidden fist" position on your right side.
next add the action of drawing to a left cat as you do the above mentioned actions.
If you look closely, these actions are also taught somewhat in the wrist release hand isolation of long form 3 after destructive twins.
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

OP
A

AmericanKenpoChris

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Kenpo Joe for the insight regarding short form two. I have been working my forms a lot lately and had a senior moment regarding that idea. Thanks again.

Chris

simon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
its just like performing a kote gaeshi, outer wrist lock.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What part of the form are you guys referring to as "cup and saucer"? That's just not how it was taught to me so I am confused by the term. thx.

Dionysianexile

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
What part of the form are you guys referring to as "cup and saucer"? That's just not how it was taught to me so I am confused by the term. thx.

Yeah, they've lost me on the term also...

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you bring one fist from the opposite side to other chambered fist. Vertical fist over horizontal, looks like a cup and saucer.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
When you bring one fist from the opposite side to other chambered fist. Vertical fist over horizontal, looks like a cup and saucer.

Ah, so is this in preparation for the second series of movements, a right punch and left outward block to the left? Would the cup and saucer be the chambering movement just before this next series?

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Ah, so is this in preparation for the second series of movements, a right punch and left outward block to the left? Would the cup and saucer be the chambering movement just before this next series?

It can be. I have heard a few variations on the applications. See Kenpojoe's above - I like that one too.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
It can be. I have heard a few variations on the applications. See Kenpojoe's above - I like that one too.

Thanks, now I can go back and re-read the thread and understand what is going on.

Like the other thread going on right now, I guess we can learn something and improve our practice on Internet Discussion Forums... :asian:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Got it. Yeah, I can certainly see wrist releases in that movement. Good points. thanks for bringing up a minor detail that I am sure I have neglected.