So in the UFC...

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the # 5 ranked fighter beats the #10 ranked fighter he gets a title fight.
??????
Beating the 10th ranked puts you in position to fight the #1!

Yes; it makes complete sense.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah it doesn't make any sense. I like Connor McGregor as his fights are fun to watch. However, he has not been tested enough yet against the top contenders in the UFC to deserve a title shot! Still I love to watch his fights!!! ;)

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
But then it is the UFC where it is about the draw not about the best fighters fighting the best.

I do enjoy viewing McGregor.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The judging in this UFC Fight Night has been horrendous. Cahal in no way deserved to win and Cerrone was beat around the ring for three rounds by Benson Henderson and the judges give the fight to Cerrone. Go figure!!!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't see the fight, but I do root for Cerrone. He's a nice guy, and I've know his mother for a lot of years.

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like Cowboy, but... He did take Benson down in the 2nd and again in the 3rd but he was out punched and Benson dictated the pace of the whole fight. Shows that takedowns score high, very high with the judges.

McGregor was excellent. Simply over whelmed Siver with great fundamentals, timing, and range control.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
A lot of the decisions UFC has made recently make me think they're becoming more and more like a corrupt WWE. Cerrone fought his heart out, but Henderson controlled that entire fight. If it was a split decision, I''d be a little more inclined to believe it. But a unanimous decision? That just sounds fishy. Plus, Macgregor getting a title fight out of nowhere is basically an insult to all the other fighters in that weight class who have better records, have worked harder for it, and are simply seated higher. All this after a fighter keeping his belt while being on drugs? Yeah.. I'm liking the UFC as an org less and less. Which is a shame, because they basically own Grandscale Commerical MMA and run other orgs who try into the ground.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say well it's a business what do you expect? :D But those that know me also know I can't stand the UFC, not for several years since they sent promotions in the UK solicitors letters telling we can't use certain words such as 'cage', 'ultimate fighting' etc etc. Didn't hold up in law thankfully but we still don't like the UFC and it's 'world' titles, attitudes to drugs and for not letting women in for years then deciding to reluctantly because they only saw the money oh and a whole lot more.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say well it's a business what do you expect? :D But those that know me also know I can't stand the UFC, not for several years since they sent promotions in the UK solicitors letters telling we can't use certain words such as 'cage', 'ultimate fighting' etc etc. Didn't hold up in law thankfully but we still don't like the UFC and it's 'world' titles, attitudes to drugs and for not letting women in for years then deciding to reluctantly because they only saw the money oh and a whole lot more.

Definitely not enough bikinis lol. I just call it a ring even when it is not. No one mentioned Alexander Gustafsson. He is cool as well as McGregor :D

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
McGregor looks like the real deal and I am pretty confident he will win a title in the UFC soon. However, he is really getting that title shot early without having to put his time in.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
McGregor is turning out to be a right prat. You can be a great fighter without the hard-man panto act; shouting at your next opponent in the crowd in front of his daughter and acting like a knuckle head isn't cool.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McGregor is turning out to be a right prat. You can be a great fighter without the hard-man panto act; shouting at your next opponent in the crowd in front of his daughter and acting like a knuckle head isn't cool.

Like so many. One has to put on a show. What did you expect from someone pumped up?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like so many. One has to put on a show. What did you expect from someone pumped up?

Exactly, it's what the business wants him to do, to become a 'character', to be memorable. They want people to buy tickets to either support him or see him defeated, it doesn't matter which as long as people pay. They want people talking about him saying exactly what Dinkydoo said, to be ignored would be bad for business.

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The theatrics are two fold; both being psychological in nature. 1. to antagonize the opponent. To play mind games with him.
2. to sell the fight. To whom? To anyone who gets excited by the theatrics and antagonism and will pay to see the person get beat.

It's not about being a knuckle head, it's about being a good actor and showmanship.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I understand the need for putting on a show and building up a bit of hype but McGregor came across as a bit of a thug. I know there is a 'macho' element to martial arts particularly when fighting competitively, but shouting in the face of a man who has his wife and kids beside him isnt the behaviour of a trained and disciplined athlete, its acting like an ******* imo. He could easily have stood and pointed, shouting from the cage but he had to act tough, force the security to almost get involved before swaggering off. I hope he gets his *** handed to him. A good fighter, but comes across as utterly classless.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm much more impressed by the professionalism and mutual respect shown by people like Cowboy and Benson Henderson than this sort of WWE nonsense.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The theatrics are two fold; both being psychological in nature. 1. to antagonize the opponent. To play mind games with him.
2. to sell the fight. To whom? To anyone who gets excited by the theatrics and antagonism and will pay to see the person get beat.

It's not about being a knuckle head, it's about being a good actor and showmanship.
Totally understand the psychological element of fighting and I've experienced it myself even when sparring. It can be a big limiting factor to doubt yourself and if you can make your opponent feel that, you have the upper hand already. There are ways and means though, I just dont agree with his methods.

On the second point, I prefer theatrics to be left to WWE tbh. Full contact, unscripted competitions should be about the fighting in the ring, not before it. Intimidate your opponent, get in his face at photo shoots if you have to (although I'd rather fighters didnt) but to scream in the face of another athlete who's little girl is almost getting knocked over by the 'show' going on is bang out of order, and another thing entirely.

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Totally understand the psychological element of fighting and I've experienced it myself even when sparring. It can be a big limiting factor to doubt yourself and if you can make your opponent feel that, you have the upper hand already. There are ways and means though, I just dont agree with his methods.

On the second point, I prefer theatrics to be left to WWE tbh. Full contact, unscripted competitions should be about the fighting in the ring, not before it. Intimidate your opponent, get in his face at photo shoots if you have to (although I'd rather fighters didnt) but to scream in the face of another athlete who's little girl is almost getting knocked over by the 'show' going on is bang out of order.
It's not "his methods" it's the UFC's. I stated several months ago the UFC was going the way of the WWE. This is all a part of that persona.
What you have to realize is that most of what you see is show. Is there some bad blood between some fighters, sure. However, for the most part the fighters are very respectful towards each other behind the scenes. Aldo was smiling and laughing the whole time. It is a part of the UFC show!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I disagree with strongly is that MMA fight nights or even weigh ins is not a place to bring young children.

I don't know Connor though I do know his coach, he's brought fighters over several times for us. The thing with Connor I think is that he's in a long tradition of 'fighting Irish', where they are very aggressive both in and out of the ring, sadly it is a crowd pleaser which it shouldn't be. He came into MMA from boxing rather than martial arts although he has trained in some. His BJJ belt is from his coach John. I imagine this aggression is a big selling point with the UFC and he's encouraged to be that bit more 'flamboyant and creative' with it. The fact that people are talking about proves it works, however much we wish it didn't and would prefer it not to be done.
The cult of Conor McGregor Why it s time to give The Notorious Irish fighter a UFC title shot - Mirror Online

Latest Discussions