Smelly mitts

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was going to post this on the MMA forum but thought it would turn into a WC vs MMA fight in some way ;-)

Got some MMA type mitts and I use them alot.

Put plainly, they stink. I have only had em a few months and they cost a fair bit.

They are Adidas ones with leather on them and material etc.

What do I do, will they be ruined if I wash them?

Or should I just man up and keep using them like they are and be proud of the smelly mitts.

ps there is no washing instructions on them.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Spray them with some sort of disinfectant, like Lysol. Then let dry, and spray them again. Febreeze kind of sucks for them, IMO. Then store them with some baking soda in your locker/gym bag.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to spar in boxing gloves, and they get really nasty, really fast. I haven't tried any of these ideas (given to me by other boxing glove users and a roller derby girl) because I switched back to vinyl sparring gear, but here goes:

Glove Dogs--specially made bags of (?) that go in the gloves and are supposed to absorb moisture and kill odors. Available commercially.

Wiping the gloves out with antibacterial wipes after every use, then letting them air dry.

Sunlight (this from the roller derby girl--she said it was the only thing that got the stink out of her knee pads)--wipe them out and expose as much of the inside as possible to the sun while they dry. Hard to do with boxing gloves, but maybe your mitts would do better.

I tried using those scented plastic balls that are supposed to deodorize gym shoes, but they didn't work.

Good luck!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of my mates used to put their boxing gloves in a plastic bag and put them in the fridge.
Apparently it retards the growth of bacteria and keeps em smelling fresh as a daisy.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just curious. If you can wash leather athletic shoes, why can't you wash sparring mitts? I'd think sweat and mildew would be harder on them than washing.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
vinegar water might work.

Keep a dryer sheet in your bag.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen in the Ringside catalog and others that there are air drying gear trees. A tall PVC tube set over a small fan that blows air up thru the main tube and out smaller tubes on the sides ( Like tree branches, get it?) and each glove or mitt is set over the branch tubes which also will have a few holes drilled in them for air flow into the fit of the gear so to speak. I saw recently at a martial arts school they had a make shift one of these with a long horz. tube with smaller tubes pointing vertical similar to the gear tree, just slip glove or mitt over it. It had a garage grade small warm air blower attached. It looked crude, but functional.

This helps remove some moisture to help prevent the conditions for stink and bacteria. Many boxers for years before this always had the concern, nobody uses my gloves, gear etc... to keep from catching a cold, flu staph or other bug. Now with health clubs, martial arts schools etc... using common class gear, it is more likely for some to catch a bug or something from the gross unmaintenanced gear. A cut , scrape or scratch on a hand or knuckle placed into a filthy glove/mitt can cause staph and other health issues.

I have also in the past used an antibacterial powder to keep any bacteria at bay, but be sure not to rub your face or eyes after de-gloving or de-mitting as this can suck. lol. Wash your hands well after too.

If it is a great concern for you, it is possible to take an old out of date hair dryer at home to make shift an air dryer of your own. With the addition of a SMALL amount of antibacterial powder and an hour or two it can cut the bacteria and stink down. But be sure to set it up as not to cause a fire or electrical hazard in the home. Stay with it, don't " Set It And Forget It" lol.

An air drying tree for gear is great at the gym, school or club cause you can begin maintenance right away, and a quality air drying tree can be set on a timer to run the last hour or so of the evening then shut off. this ensures that gloves, mitts etc... get dealt with after each training session and will be ready the next. If you even set something up at home that works, that is great, but be sure to always be habitual about gear care, leave a set of gloves or mitts in the trunk or back seat for a few days, sweaty and unaired, well you get the picture.

I have also seen the glove buddy bag mentioned by another poster, I am not sure of the material within, but these can also help, just better with some sort of ventilation for the insdie of the glove/mitt. Alone they can only do so much, they are best for when you know your gear can set in a gear bag for a few days at a time before re-use. These are more for mid to long term storage. The longer the gear is stuffed in a bag the more likely the conditions for FUNK.

For storage a dryer fabric softener sheet can help, but that also puts the laundry dryer chems in your glove/mitt, and not everyone wants to have that on their fists, hand wraps, nose eyes etc... but it is up to you.

I would not suggest Lysol spray, especially for leather gear, it will eat away at the material and lessen the life of your gloves or mitts. A non-clorine bleach antibacterial wipe is good, but also needs to air dry for maximum care, bacteria prevention and gear longevity. If your gloves or mitts are leather, a good baseball glove mink oil is great for exterior care of the gear. If gear is vinyl, armorall is good too. Be sure to get as much sweat and dirt off exterior of glove/mitt before applying care product. Use a slightly moist towel to get the salt from sweat off them, especially for leather. Exterior care for gear is much easier than the inside of a glove or mitt.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Handerpants? ;)

[yt]YCf9NkcvRno[/yt]

OP
bully

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheers for the replies, going to get some Handerpants:)

Will try some of the methods mentioned and post my findings.

Will give me something to do over the winter.

chinaboxer

Green Belt
Reaction score
moisture is the enemy. so first, make sure you don't share your gloves with everyone. everyone's sweat and odor collects and will cause unbearable mildew and you will want to burn your mitts.

make sure after training, don't just throw them into your bag and in your trunk. you have to keep them dry, so make sure you let them air dry before sticking back into your bag.

a good way to kill the bacteria is to throw them into the laundry and add a cup of vinegar. (as long as they are full leather gloves).

Reaction score
Here's a good tip along the sunlight lines...

Try to find an ultraviolet bulb or lamp that you could set up to shine on/in the smelly mitts. It will kill off some germs just like sunlight. Some of the nastier things can't live where it's bright. What does mildew and mold need to grow? Moisture, darkness, and a reasonable temperature right?

Remove one of the variables from the equation and they can't live.

Good luck, hope the mitts work out for you!

Latest Discussions