Sleeping with two pillows or one?

Discussion in 'Health Tips for the Martial Artist' started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks Black Belt

As the title states, is there a difference between sleeping with one or two pillows?

Which one is better?

2. jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Well all I can tell you is that I sleep with one under my head and one under my knees. I thought it was a little crazy at first but instead of having my knees locked out all night it feels so much better in the morning when I get up. See, I can't sleep on my left shoulder too much 'cause I hurt it in my senior year on the mat. I can't sleep very long on my right side because I popped out my first 5 ribs from my sternum during a JJ match. Therefore sleeping on my back or stomach is the most comfortable. My right knee bothers me as it is and with a pillow under them keeping it bent helps it not get stiff. Hopefully that answers your question.

3. bignick

bignick Senior Master

• Martial Talk Alumni
    i sleep with two...under my head...i think i get better support for the neck...but i'm using pretty thin pillows

4. AnimEdge

AnimEdge Guest

I sleep with two under my head, there thin, and there usally not in the same place in the morning :p Sleep on my Side or Stomic if tahts help :p

5. bignick

bignick Senior Master

• Martial Talk Alumni
    :-offtopic

by the way...i sleep in a loft...and there's nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night and having my pillows on the floor

6. ed-swckf

ed-swckf Black Belt

i sleep with 2 but i feel sometimes one is better.

7. SMP

SMP Guest

I sleep with two thin ones under my head and a thicker one under my butt to help keep my lower back in a good position.

8. Scout_379

Scout_379 Guest

I sleep with about 3, very comfortable, pillows. On a soft foam mattress that lies on top of a regular boxspring mattress. Very good nights sleeping.

Last week I spent a week in a university dorm, on a creaky, hard, boxspring mattress. With one, thin, pillow. And an abrasive quilt that looked liked it had seen too many years.

I slept just as well on campus as I did at home.

9. Marginal

Marginal Senior Master

Must've been a relatively good boxspring regardless then. An old mattress that has springs jamming into from various angles and/or is sagging produces a very poor night's sleep in my experience.

I use two pillows, but that's mainly because I tend to wake up with a sinus headache if I sleep with just one pillow. I don't think it's necessarially better for my neck.

10. sifu nick

sifu nick Guest

I sleep with one but I think i'll try another under my legs since my knee acts up sometimes from an old injury.

11. Eldritch Knight

Eldritch Knight Blue Belt

I sleep with one, firm pillow. Back at home I'd use two soft ones, but I find the single firm one to be better.

12. AaronLucia

AaronLucia Guest

I sleep with one under my head, and my free arm is usually wrapped around the other one.

13. Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks Black Belt

Thanks for the replies guys (and gals). Which one is better for your neck though? Scientifically speaking, does anybody know?

Regards

14. bassplayer

bassplayer Guest

I think its just a matter of keeping your vertabrae relatively lined up (schientifically schpeaking, of course!) When I'm on my stomach or back I tend to use my ultra-veteran mooshed out flattened pillow, but if I'm on my side, I find its a little better to roll a little closer to my fiancee and utilize her slightly puffier pillow!123