SL4 Clips

It has promoted a rapid fire delivery with no regard to positive or negative effects of execution, nor the reaction of the attacker which may in fact negate many of the movements. People rarely stand still and let someone beat the crap out of them. However, it does look cool to the unknowledgeable, but people tend to fight back.

In fact, this has all too often been my experience with Kenpoists: Very fast hands but a tendency not to alter the technique even when it's clearly failed to work as intended. It has left me somewhat skeptical. One needs to train with partners who will make unpredictable responses!

Thanks for the reply.

Hello Doc,
thanks for the explaination. My question is why L-1 instead of L-6 most of my kempo techniques in similar vien tend to strike at L-6 rather than L-1...

respectfully,
marlon

In fact, this has all too often been my experience with Kenpoists: Very fast hands but a tendency not to alter the technique even when it's clearly failed to work as intended. It has left me somewhat skeptical. One needs to train with partners who will make unpredictable responses!

Thanks for the reply.

Absolutely!!!

marlon

Hello Doc,
thanks for the explaination. My question is why L-1 instead of L-6 most of my kempo techniques in similar vien tend to strike at L-6 rather than L-1...

respectfully,
marlon

In conjunction with the base explanation of the technique above, an L-1 strike at the "head of the humerus" of the shoulder will control height and depth. Additionally, it will negatively impact the grip strength of the seizing hand in this scenario. L-6 will only give you momentary height control, and for our purposes would be better suited to a strike on an unsupported limb with the hand sensor posture palm forward, fingers up, as seen in attacks like "Alternating Maces."

that could very well be true, I get confused with a lot of the terminology :) depth-control is certainly one of the applications of the braced-index

cheers,

Yes, "depth control" is one of the functions of the specific application of the GCM. The reason for specificity is depth control may be achieved through a plethora of mechanisms. A GCM is a defined, specific methodology to counter grappling possibilities. All "depth control" methods do not do that, or put another way; "all depth control mechanisms are not necessarily anti-grapple in function."

Science is always specific, and the reason information once codified, is preserved, and readily transferable without mis-interpretational breakdowns in the process. Students become repositories of information that is ultimately decipherable with or without instructor references. The information life cycle becomes infinite.

Let's see now, does water freeze at 0-degrees centigrade or somewhere around 0-degrees? Does it matter?

In conjunction with the base explanation of the technique above, an L-1 strike at the "head of the humerus" of the shoulder will control height and depth. Additionally, it will negatively impact the grip strength of the seizing hand in this scenario. L-6 will only give you momentary height control, and for our purposes would be better suited to a strike on an unsupported limb with the hand sensor posture palm forward, fingers up, as seen in attacks like "Alternating Maces."

thank you. true is is that most of the kempo techniques i was thinking of were against an unsupported limb as you describe it. I will review the grabs an try them with L-1 instead to see the difference.

Respectfully,
Marlon

thank you. true is is that most of the kempo techniques i was thinking of were against an unsupported limb as you describe it. I will review the grabs an try them with L-1 instead to see the difference.

Respectfully,
Marlon

Let me know, and be sure to test the grip strength with the strike.

Doc,
what style moves the closest to the way SL4 moves, if there are any?

respectfully,
Marlon

Doc,
what style moves the closest to the way SL4 moves, if there are any?

respectfully,
Marlon

Making "stylistic" comparisons is difficult because "style" is influenced largely by "philosophy," even within optimized scientific parameters of human movement.

As an example, American Football and Basketball both use sound anatomical movements in execution. However, they look nothing alike because of the rules or "philosophical" perspective that dictates the activity. Therefore to move "similarly," a "style" would also have to share the SL-4 philosophical approach to the activity.

That being said, I have associates from much older and more traditional and cultural styles who move optimally correct, but with a different philosophical mandate that prevents reasonable comparisons.

The best comparison is between similar lineages. In that regard, there are those from Ed Parker's commercial Kenpo that move very well anatomically, and are only separated by the divergence of philosophy between the two Kenpo perspectives that can cause incorrect movement.

Like I have always said, there is nothing wrong with the Kenpo, only the over-riding philosophy that drives the perspective to make it commercially viable, and unfortunately making many of its teachers, knowledge deficient.

The knowledge and skill level of a technique may rise with no appreciably detectable change in execution.

Do you mean, detectable by a 3rd party observer?

I bet the attacker on the receivng end would notice a difference... when he wakes up.

Do you mean, detectable by a 3rd party observer?

I bet the attacker on the receivng end would notice a difference... when he wakes up.

Well said sir. The attacker definitely will "feel" the difference, even though the movements look the same. :)

Let me know, and be sure to test the grip strength with the strike.

so i find the l1 strike more effective than the l6 the grip strength seems to be almost completely lost with this strike without damage to the muscle and without the attacker lurching forward on to ones person...they become momentarily neutralized. I have altered a few things to conform to this new information. thank you
btw for the skk people you can find this right at the beginning of 2 kata...

respectfully,
marlon

Back