SL-4 Seminar

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just as a brief note, I have tried some of the experiments described by Doc in the past, most notably the outward elbow position with and without a "bam," and found that they did seem to work. I've never been to an SL-4 seminar, and have only what I can find on the internet to judge it by, but there seems to at least be some validity to his position. Many of these same ideas and concepts were taught in the school I trained in, which was two steps removed from Mr. Parker's teachings, although admittedly to a much less specific degree. More of an idea of how structure can be improved upon, based on some limited understanding of biomechanics, rather than a complete curriculum on the subject.

I think there are several areas of common ground which we can all agree on. One being that, at least to some degree, we would all agree that weapon formulation and anatomical position has some bearing on combat effectiveness. Some of us might say more or less so, but I think we can all at least agree with Doc to that degree. Another would be that it does matter what your method of execution is, not just the final product of a strike. And again, I think we would all agree that changing something about your stance, even something small about your feet or your torso positioning, can have a huge effect on your ability to transfer power. Look at quarterbacks in pro football. How often do commentators point out that by raising their toes, not planting their heel, or cocking their elbow they've drastically reduced their effectiveness? Many intercepted passes can be blamed on poor body position at the point of the throw.

My point is only to say that what Doc teaches, while perhaps not exactly or even nearly what the rest of us may teach, may be closer at least philosophically to the positions we hold and the material we teach than many of us realize.

-Rob

We all want it to work don't we sir? :)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blasphemy. Everyone knows that "looking" good and "moving well" are of paramount importance to effectiveness.....wait a minute...

Looking good AND moving well is a tall order in some circles. And then on top of that you want it to work? Interesting concept.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looking good AND moving well is a tall order in some circles. And then on top of that you want it to work? Interesting concept.

Don't forget to make it sound good. You need to add alot of stomps and slaps in there. If you move fast enough, no one will notice and it'll sound like you hit the guy way more times than you actually did. Judicious use of clapping, stomping, and hitting yourself make the techniques sound way cooler.

BTW Doc, I think you know I'm not reffering to what you teach. I'm sure we've all seen Kenpoists who are in the "slap happy" stage. I know I went through it. Beating more hell out of myself than my opponent. Sounded cool as hell though.

-Rob

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't forget to make it sound good. You need to add alot of stomps and slaps in there. If you move fast enough, no one will notice and it'll sound like you hit the guy way more times than you actually did. Judicious use of clapping, stomping, and hitting yourself make the techniques sound way cooler.

BTW Doc, I think you know I'm not reffering to what you teach. I'm sure we've all seen Kenpoists who are in the "slap happy" stage. I know I went through it. Beating more hell out of myself than my opponent. Sounded cool as hell though.

-Rob
"If you can't dazzle them with the science, blind them with bull**it." - Ed Parker Sr. :)

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
-Rob

Sadly enough, before I trained with Doc, I used to really wonder why there was all this slapping. I can't even begin to describe the importance of the "slaps" BAMS and PAMS. I used to think it was just structural integrity, but it's wayyyyy more than such a simple concept. Last night's class really made me realize the effectiveness and necessity of BAMS.

Not only do they create structure, but they are used as a training tool to teach a physical movement properly. Without them your "parrys" and blocks have less efficacy. They can be used offensively, defensively, and combined. Wow... anyway, just being enthusiastic.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score

-Rob

Being in a room full of Doc's brown and black belts doing their thing is hard to describe. The sound of their Kenpo has an interesting sortof rhythm it makes me think of Miles Davis but it is more than sonic, you can feel those guys from across the room.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sadly enough, before I trained with Doc, I used to really wonder why there was all this slapping. I can't even begin to describe the importance of the "slaps" BAMS and PAMS. I used to think it was just structural integrity, but it's wayyyyy more than such a simple concept. Last night's class really made me realize the effectiveness and necessity of BAMS.

Not only do they create structure, but they are used as a training tool to teach a physical movement properly. Without them your "parrys" and blocks have less efficacy. They can be used offensively, defensively, and combined. Wow... anyway, just being enthusiastic.

All the slapping makes me want to hook all the lights in the kenpo schools up to "the clapper". But then it'd just look like a bad disco causing people to have seizures. Wait a minute....some of it already does... :)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
All the slapping makes me want to hook all the lights in the kenpo schools up to "the clapper". But then it'd just look like a bad disco causing people to have seizures. Wait a minute....some of it already does... :)

You're sick, and definitely needs some help bro. GET BACK ON YOUR MEDS!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Being in a room full of Doc's brown and black belts doing their thing is hard to describe. The sound of their Kenpo has an interesting sort of rhythm it makes me think of Miles Davis but it is more than sonic, you can "feel" those guys from across the room.

Parker Sr. was the same way. That's the way it was in the old days at Ark Wong's, or working with Haumea Lefiti, and later Tiny's Lima Lama that trace part of their roots back to Splashing Hands and Mok Gar. Duplicating the sound is fairly easy, but the "feeling" of power you get from the other side of the room takes training with knowledge and developed skill. Waitin' on you Dave. You already got the "green light" from the "Grandmaster." :)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That would be the GrandMistress for sure :)

And I have to spend some time working the material so that I can at least look better than when I left. :whip1: I mean, I can't have you wasting your time telling me to fix my damn heels all night (again) LOL

Watching the videos I made out there I can see so much that you were doing that I was completely unaware of at the time... In addition to "everything matters" and "it depends" you might add "it's never just one thing". And also "What the heck do I know about pumpkin pie?!?!" ROFL

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
That would be the GrandMistress for sure :)

And I have to spend some time working the material so that I can at least look better than when I left. :whip1: I mean, I can't have you wasting your time telling me to fix my damn heels all night (again) LOL

Watching the videos I made out there I can see so much that you were doing that I was completely unaware of at the time...
Helps you understand why I'm so hesistant to do videos. Without the education, you don't know what's happening in front of your own eyes.
In addition to "everything matters" and "it depends" you might add "it's never just one thing". And also "What the heck do I know about pumpkin pie?!?!" ROFL
Truly all of these things become clear when your knowledge increases.
Yeah, what the hell DO I know about pumpkin pie.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Helps you understand why I'm so hesistant to do videos. Without the education, you don't know what's happening in front of your own eyes.

Truly all of these things become clear when your knowledge increases.
Yeah, what the hell DO I know about pumpkin pie.

Proably more than you are willing to admit unless it's spiced with Seven Spice or Cinnamon.
:lol:

How's it goin' out on that West Coast Doc???

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Proably more than you are willing to admit unless it's spiced with Seven Spice or Cinnamon.
:lol:

How's it goin' out on that West Coast Doc???

*rubbing my eyes*

Whaaaa?

Could that be Uncle Dan?

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

-Rob

Course it's always fun with the one guy in class who thinks wearing a belt down to his shins is "cool" and slaps the crap outta himself with the belt every time he kicks too. *sigh* Memories. The only thing I miss bout TKD was watching people do stupid stuff like that.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Course it's always fun with the one guy in class who thinks wearing a belt down to his shins is "cool" and slaps the crap outta himself with the belt every time he kicks too. *sigh* Memories. The only thing I miss bout TKD was watching people do stupid stuff like that.
That reminds me...three years ago, I took my youngest son (who was 15 at the time) to the man you promoted me to black belt (the same year my son was born). During class, my old teacher commented to my son "when I gave your dad that black belt, it hung to his knees."

I guess I gained a bunch of weight...

Latest Discussions