Skipping training out of laziness

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
An interesting off-shoot of the recent discussions of pain - I got to thinking about what the worst pains were I've experienced. The piece of angle iron into the back of my leg doesn't even hit the top 5. I think the shattered bone spur in my big toe might be 3rd. The dislocations might make the top 10. Back pain I think takes the other top 4 spots, followed closely by nerve pain in my leg.
Remember though:
Pain has no purpose, it's a illusion of the mind.
If pain is an illusion of the mind, it's a pretty persistent one :inpain:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An interesting off-shoot of the recent discussions of pain - I got to thinking about what the worst pains were I've experienced. The piece of angle iron into the back of my leg doesn't even hit the top 5. I think the shattered bone spur in my big toe might be 3rd. The dislocations might make the top 10. Back pain I think takes the other top 4 spots, followed closely by nerve pain in my leg.
Pah! I claim two kidney stones and a herniated lumbar disc! Actually, recent odontalgia was a close second.🤔

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back pain is definitely up there and the fact that almost everything that you do aggravates the injury just makes it worse.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back pain is definitely up there and the fact that almost everything that you do aggravates the injury just makes it worse.
It was 18months of hell and I genuinely felt, at one point, I’d rather not ‘continue like I was’. I suppose the feelings of helplessness compound the suffering.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was 18months of hell and I genuinely felt, at one point, I’d rather not ‘continue like I was’. I suppose the feelings of helplessness compound the suffering.
Unfortunately, I’m stuck with mine. Core strengthening helps a lot with the pain.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it caused by a slipped/herniated disc?
Blast incident damaged discs and vertebrae. The consensus among the surgeons is that it is safer not to operate. I manage the pain through diet and exercise.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blast incident damaged discs and vertebrae. The consensus among the surgeons is that it is safer not to operate. I manage the pain through diet and exercise.
Oh no! Copious amounts of alcohol really help too 😐

I developed mine in a tough situation too: bending slightly backwards to look up at fireworks for 3 hours in a square in Florence on Easter Sunday 🙄

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Praying that I don't experience greater than that. After a certain point things have to be really bad to go beyond our "worst pain."

Last edited:

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I’m stuck with mine. Core strengthening helps a lot with the pain.
It's not surprising to learn office workers and those who spend the majority of their day seated suffer more lower-back pain than those with physical jobs. Sitting around all day causes a whole multitude of health issues for the human body - weak core muscles being one of the more obvious effects of a sedentary career choice. Working in gyms gives you more than enough opportunities to see how strength has decreased massively over the decades... unfortunately, this downward spiral is a continuing trend 😥

p.s Not suggesting you sat around all day long, that's certainly not how warfare was done... perhaps a little more nowadays with drones and stuff though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pah! I claim two kidney stones and a herniated lumbar disc! Actually, recent odontalgia was a close second.🤔
I saw a guy start to pass a kidney stone once. I'm pretty sure that surpasses any pain I've ever experienced. Dude just fell sideways out of his chair in the middle of a manager meeting. We thought he was dying.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I managed some stupidity during an 8-mile mud run/obstacle race and threw out my back. Found myself nearly unable to move in the middle of an obstacle. Took me a few minutes just to turn, get on my belly, and crawl to the edge to get out. The ride to the medic station was agony.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely worse than any of the back pain I've had. Sorry you had to deal with that, brother.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife has had constant back pain since her 20's. She was able to manage it until her 30's and it ended her MA training. Without that jarring, she's managed to keep it under control, but still has days a couple of times a year when she can't work or do anything.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh no! Copious amounts of alcohol really help too 😐

I developed mine in a tough situation too: bending slightly backwards to look up at fireworks for 3 hours in a square in Florence on Easter Sunday 🙄
I once did myself in by reaching into my car to get my briefcase. Took me a couple of minutes just to get my upper body back out of the car, then had to deliver a day of training and drive 3 hours home. Getting back out of the car was...unfun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not surprising to learn office workers and those who spend the majority of their day seated suffer more lower-back pain than those with physical jobs. Sitting around all day causes a whole multitude of health issues for the human body - weak core muscles being one of the more obvious effects of a sedentary career choice. Working in gyms gives you more than enough opportunities to see how strength has decreased massively over the decades... unfortunately, this downward spiral is a continuing trend 😥

p.s Not suggesting you sat around all day long, that's certainly not how warfare was done... perhaps a little more nowadays with drones and stuff though.
My back gets worse over the winter. Managers tried to talk me out of working when my back is bothering me, but the physical work nearly always makes it feel better, even the days it hurts to work.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a related note, I used to have such good breakfalls. I was the one who did all the tough falls for new techniques (where students aren't as good at controlling their partner). I had to start limiting that - time away stole a good bit of flexibility, and the support muscles weren't as good, nor were my falls.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I definitely wasn’t a drone operator. Maybe in hind sight I should have pursued that career field…🤔

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a related note, I used to have such good breakfalls. I was the one who did all the tough falls for new techniques (where students aren't as good at controlling their partner). I had to start limiting that - time away stole a good bit of flexibility, and the support muscles weren't as good, nor were my falls.
Same here.

Latest Discussions