Skip dan testing?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I completely understand the desire to take your time and make sure you feel your skill is reflected with your rank. In Taekwondo I am ranking up as fast as I possibly can, because I have goals for when I will be a 4th and 5th degree (should get my 3rd degree in a few months). In Hapkido I am slowly plodding along, because it is just so darn hard for me to learn the nuances of that art. In the time it took to get my 2nd degree in Taekwondo, I've gotten 3 belts in hapkido and I'm not even halfway to first degree.

However, I think purposefully refusing to test because you don't hold much stock in the testing system is holding yourself back, and that if you feel you are the appropriate skill level to advance, you should.

That's just my opinion.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely understand the desire to take your time and make sure you feel your skill is reflected with your rank. In Taekwondo I am ranking up as fast as I possibly can, because I have goals for when I will be a 4th and 5th degree (should get my 3rd degree in a few months). In Hapkido I am slowly plodding along, because it is just so darn hard for me to learn the nuances of that art. In the time it took to get my 2nd degree in Taekwondo, I've gotten 3 belts in hapkido and I'm not even halfway to first degree.

However, I think purposefully refusing to test because you don't hold much stock in the testing system is holding yourself back, and that if you feel you are the appropriate skill level to advance, you should.

That's just my opinion.
Some places, testing costs money - sometimes more than pocket change. A lot of times, it requires extra time, if nothing else. If the rank isn't important and doesn't gain you access to new material (not sure if it would for the poster in question), then I can see folks opting not to test.