Single greatest movie scene of all time (IYO)?

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Taxi Driver: When, from a birds eye view, the camera pans over all of the carnage in the whore house caused be Denero (sic?) and ends with a close up of him simulating suicide with an imaginary pistol.
The entire movie is directed perfectly, but that scene always sticks out in my mind.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can come up with some ideas (the final fight of Sanjuro, for example) but ...

I'd still have to think over my final answer.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
History Of Violence David Cronenberg movie about a man trying to escape a past that won't let him go.

The coffee shop scene where the two killers get theirs by Viggo Mortensen (waits for the collective sighs from the women to pass ..... ) who turns out to be much more than he seems to be.
It's shocking and gruesome to be sure... but even so, watching it again you can't help but say..."hell yeah! get those lowlifes"...

OP
exile

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, there really is a difference between exactly how they are good and how a Dustin Hoffman or Robert Redford is good.

I know just what you mean... even when those guys are at their excellent best, you still have this lingering sense that it's DH or RR playing this or that character. When the people I mentioned, or others of their ilk are on-screen, you mostly have no clue who the actor is; the character—typically intricate and many-sided—is what you see.

I'm not putting anyone down, I hope that's clear. There are terrific American actors. But I think the imprint of the American studio system is inevitable. I think the British, because of their deep training on the stage, have more of an 'ensemble' attitude to their productions, no matter how eminent they are. The celebrity spotlight that we take for granted from the long domination of Hollywood over the US movie world doesn't exist in the UK. It's a major cultural difference that keeps popping up whenever you compare acting in the two places.

It took me a while to stop treating him as "just a comic actor" and I do agree he's both good and flexible.

Yes, exactly—he stands out because he's just so... well, big... but he's just as protean and versatile as the others.

I would add Bill Nighy and Alan Rickman to your list. I like Charles Dance but in fairness he's not quite in the same league.

I don't know Nighy, but yes, Rickman is another one who seems to morph into a different being with every role. Dance I've only seen in one thing (that I can identify)—in Jewel in the Crown, that infinitely heartbreaking series that may have been the best Masterpiece Theatre production ever. I agree, he never quite attained the level of some of these others... but still, an excellent craftsman.

I think the difference comes in part from the fact that for the Brits, live theatre is the default 'dojo' for training acting ability. And the first rule of the theatre is, you can't do another take if you screw up. Everyone gets to see you do it!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do think that currently for the last 10-15 even 20 years the Brits have been producing fine actors who morph into so many different types of characters. That is NOT a bad thing, it allows an actor to keep working, a director doesn't have to worry about if a particular actor can or cannot pull off a particular role. If one has shown themselves to be characteristically diverse and still pull off a great performance then it saves a lot of time and effort and makes the studio money.
American actors have been pretty good but somewhat limited in the types of roles they can play... not all. Please note DiCaprio and remember his marvelous performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, then going to roles such as Catch Me If You Can, The Aviator and so forth . Johnny Depp likewise has chameleon abilities, Edward Sissorhands, Willy Wonka, Sweeny Todd, Ichabod Crane, and of course Jack Sparrow just to name a few.
Mind you we're only covering male actors so far, actresses are also coming out with fine performances and morphing abilities, one springs to mind is Keira Knightley.

Still we are drifting from this thread and need to stay focused on scenes... we can do an actor/actress' thread ... no sweat. :D

OP
exile

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is another one of the great scenes, though I suspect not many will have seen it. At the very end of Tom Courtney's magnificent performance in The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, having beaten, by craft, cunning and talent, the best runners on the exclusive private school's long distance team that he and his fellow juvenile offenders' detention center mates are competing against, he slows up and comes to a dead stop right before the finish line, and locks his slit-eyed gaze on the detention center head, a pious hypocrite who preaches discipline and character but has his thug wardens mercilessly beat young offenders who he wants to make an example of. As the exhausted lead runner from the toney rival school staggers past Courtney's character, the look on the head's face reflects, first bewilderment, then panic, desperation, and finally—when he meets Courtney's deadly meaningful gaze at last—recognition of the knife that this despised member of the underclass, valued only because of the head's own ambitions, is twisting in his guts. Almost immediately, we see the followup: Courtney's character, grimly engaged in the manual labor punishment he's been consigned to, wrestling with a gas mask that he's been assigned to dismantle... while the majestic chords of Blake's hymn Jerusalem swell in the background.

I shall not cease
From mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Til we have built
Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land

Definitely, one of the great, powerful scenes in the history of film...

And, speaking of Jerusalem, who can forget the epic conclusion and soaring descant to the hymn in the finale of Chariots of Fire. Lest ye forget, here it is—and I dare anyone who's seen the film to try to watch this dry-eyed all the way through.

Last edited:

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Might sound silly, but from my generation..The Transformers movie (in '86 or 7) Megatron and the decepticons are killing many and destroying. Optimus prime rolls up, looks the scene over, and says "Megatron must be stopped! No Matter what the cost!" Then, he goes into action in a solo charge, kills a few decepticons, and has an ultimate battle with megatron!
The theater erupted! Sadly he gave his life to save us all in a dramatic moment!

Goofy? Yeah, but was significant-lol! They had to bring him back in the cartoon series due to the popularity!
icon10.gif

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
A second one of significance to me would be from the movie Gettysburg, where the confederates come out of the woods, line up and make Pickett's Charge!

Having been there and took the off route, where the confederates would have had to walk to get to where they were going, and made the charge, I know how long it took, how exposed you feel, and how brave they were!

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
A second one of significance to me would be from the movie Gettysburg, where the confederates come out of the woods, line up and make Pickett's Charge!

Having been there and took the off route, where the confederates would have had to walk to get to where they were going, and made the charge, I know how long it took, how exposed you feel, and how brave they were!

This sounds awesome!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well there are a couple of scenes that come to mind, that are above the rest for me. Given that many mentioned are great in their own rights as well.

I like the running gun battle in "Heat". It shows the absolute immediate violence of people getting killed and the reactions of people trying to stay alive and others trying to stop them.

I also like a couple of scenes from Sin City with Marv. Marv pokes a guy in the eye and in the other in the throat. Both times getting them to move and get out of his way or fall down in extreme pain. I cheered see this movie in the theater. Those with me still cringe when someone mentions this movie. It was the simplicity and realism and what I have seen and used that connected with me.

I have others for drama and romantic comedies and such, and even Friday the 13th in 3-D which I did not se much of as I was 13 and the 16-17 year girl next to me kept jumping into my lap during all the scary parts. After being surprised the first couple of times, I got to look forward to it. ;) Yes I was an adolesant 13 year old boy with a very nice looking girl in his lap. :D

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The three way gun fight in the last 10 minutes of "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly"
[yt]sXldafIl5DQ[/yt]

The tension that was built up during the 3 way, the music, ever tightening close ups on the eyes and the hands moving millimeter by millimeter to gain that 1/1000th of a second speed advantage in the draw.
Followed of course by this great scene...
[yt]Uo91NtcvcsI&[/yt]
Great stuff.
Including the search for the grave by Tuco running around and 'round the grave yard. Again the music had a lot to do with the effectiveness of that dizzying scene.

Not to mention the full blown Civil War battle scene prior to all of that!

This is yet another movie where it'd be a blasphemy to remake/reboot/re whatever!

Last edited:

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
...the chest-burster scene from Alien.

Less known, but I think just as good for shock value - is the "exploding head scene" from Scanners (1981).

...and you call this a martial arts message board without this one:

Billy Jack (1971)
As Billy Jack is surrounded by Posner's thugs in the town park:
Mr. Posner: You really think those Green Beret Karate tricks are gonna help you against all these boys?
Billy Jack: Well, it doesn't look to me like I really have any choice now, does it?
Mr. Posner: [laughing] That's right, you don't.
Billy Jack: You know what I think I'm gonna do then? Just for the hell of it?
Mr. Posner: Tell me.
Billy Jack: I'm gonna take this right foot, and I'm gonna whop you on that side of your face... [points to Posner's right cheek]
Billy Jack: ...and you wanna know something? There's not a damn thing you're gonna be able to do about it.
Mr. Posner: Really?
Billy Jack: Really. [kicks Posner's right cheek, sending him to the ground]

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975):

Scene III, Arthur, King of the who?, gets snagged in a political science discussion with the "bloody peasant" who says this gem:

Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you! I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

So much for the legend of Camelot... :)

HeartofJuyoMk2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It is a really hard decision, but I can give at least one of my all time favorites:

Star Wars
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

2 scenes really stand out for me....the first one is where Luke is burning the body of Darth Vader, and the camera pans out to show the celebration going on around him, while he mourns the death of his father.

The second one is the scene in the original Episode VI in which Luke looks over from the party and sees Yoda, Obi Wan, and the original Anakin standing together in the force. Makes me shiver.

I would, however, like to note that I cannot stand Hayden Christianson...and I threw up in my mouth the first time I saw the edited version where they replaced the original Anakin with him. Hayden is one of the all time worst actors, right up there with Shatner. He was no Anakin.
I tend to agree with the celebration scene, but the newer one has a better soundtrack IMO, and when they topple the statue of Palpatine on Coruscant, I got those same shivers. haha.

In addition, I'm a fan of Lord of the Rings, and the scene in Return of the King where the Rohirrim line up to charge was just awesome.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
This movie is full of great scenes. The Gorge of Eternal Peril, The Trojan Rabbit, Sir Lancelot killing half the attendees at a royal wedding to rescue what he thinks is a damsel in distress, the witch trial...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In addition, I'm a fan of Lord of the Rings, and the scene in Return of the King where the Rohirrim line up to charge was just awesome.
Indeed it was what is awesome is that much of it wasn't CGI. Read somewhere that thousands of horsemen were hired to help the effect. Thankfully all horse falls were CGI.
From that particular film I would have to choose Sam's carrying Frodo up the last leg of their climb on Mt. Doom as the most stirring. "C'mon Mr. Frodo, I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!"
The fade in fade outs of Frodo and Sam resting on a jut of rock were also well done leading one to think it was the end of the film (for many who did not read the books -- shame on them too :wink1: )

I still lament the lack of filming the "Scouring of the Shire" though it was shown briefly in the Mirror Of Galadriel.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, here are two more candidates:

• The scene in which Obi Wan gives Luke his father's lightsaber.

• The scene in which Anakin asks Qui-Gon about his lightsaber.

I really, really like this exchange:

Anakin Skywalker: You're a Jedi Knight, aren't you?

Qui-Gon Jinn: What makes you think that?

Anakin Skywalker: I saw your laser sword. Only Jedi carry that kind of weapon.

Latest Discussions