Sinawali patterns?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What can you tell me about sinawali? I learned the "three strike sinawali" with double sticks. How do you coordinate both hands without getting all messed up?

Ceicei

G

Guro_Jeff

Just be patient with yourself. It's a new pattern for you, but in no time, you'll be a star!! It's alot of fun, too. Don't pressure yourself and you'll do fine.

Guro Jeff

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For at home practice, do you suggest doing the pattern with one hand first and then the other hand, before combining both?

At the dojo, I started me out with both sticks at the same time, first in the air, then on a wavemaster. I didn't ask him why he wanted me to try with both sticks together instead of just one. It is a lot of fun though and definitely will take a lot of practice to get coordinated.

- Ceicei

G

Guro_Jeff

Hey Ceicei,
I feel that if you want to learn sinawali, the best way to do it, is with both sticks in hand. The coordination will come. As you practice it, try to be aware of how your sticks are positioned on your body as you extend and retract your arms with the strikes, and as you develop consistency in thought and action, it'll get easier. I usually tell students to think in terms of 1,2,3, then, 1,2,3 from the other side. Once you can get a flow going, then, you simply move through the counts... 1,2,3,4,5,6... repeat and so forth. Hope that helps!

Guro Jeff

S

sifu Adams

I have found in training the Sinawali that if I have my student put one stick on the shoulder it trained them a little faster. when I trained with the late GM Ramy Preses we always told our students place the stick on the shoulder befor you strike with the other. you have to do one step at a time. You also have to finish the movement. Hit with the right hand and put the stick where you wont it to go next then hit with the other stick. that should help

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
For at home practice, do you suggest doing the pattern with one hand first and then the other hand, before combining both?

At the dojo, I started me out with both sticks at the same time, first in the air, then on a wavemaster. I didn't ask him why he wanted me to try with both sticks together instead of just one. It is a lot of fun though and definitely will take a lot of practice to get coordinated.

- Ceicei
If the point is to develop coordination in the hands don't do one hand only because you won't develop the timing/coordination (though you may discover, by breaking it down that way AFTER you have it, that you are simply combining single hand patterns like figure 8, banda y banda...or something else:)).

Just to it. You will notice that one side picks up faster than the other. Concentrate on what you are doing there, then mentally 'flip' the sensation to bring up the other side.

I don't know if you are doing the "Heavens/Hells/Middle or earth" variation of the three count 'double sin' but break it into halves: Rightside/leftside and literally count out "1,2,3" or "forehand,backhand,forehand" from one side. Pause because you are now (or should be) in the starting position to do it again from the other side and count or call the sequence outloud...in time it will become more fluid and instinctual. Learn it like you learn dances, but with your hands now.

Nice idea using a focal point though. That 'targeting' helps focus your actions.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sifu Adams said:
I have found in training the Sinawali that if I have my student put one stick on the shoulder it trained them a little faster. when I trained with the late GM Ramy Preses we always told our students place the stick on the shoulder befor you strike with the other. you have to do one step at a time. You also have to finish the movement. Hit with the right hand and put the stick where you wont it to go next then hit with the other stick. that should help

Good point. I have a couple Karate/TKD guys in my class. I equate what you metioned to "chambering' a punch in Karate. (Right hand punches left hand comes back). As you begin to pickup speed this will help to keep your hand that is not in use from being hit and ready to go. It will also help in keeping your siniwali tight. Alot of people tend to hold both hands way out in front of them when they should be scrubbing the body.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:
This probably sounds enigmatic, but you really have to feel it and let it flow. Just let it happen rather than thinking about.

Tim Kashino
YUPPPP! How many times have we (in our ECC days) started great, but lost the flow the instant we started talking about what we were doing....still can feel the hand strikes from those days.

It sounds crazy, but there have been times when I would watch tv or hum/sing a song as I was doing it to 'get out of my head' for exactly the reason that Doxn4cer mentioned.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
What can you tell me about sinawali? I learned the "three strike sinawali" with double sticks. How do you coordinate both hands without getting all messed up?

Ceicei
Hi Ceicei,

The double is the way to go, first the right then the left then the right then the left. Moving your feet with the striking is very important also. Go slow and think to yourself 1-2-3 or open closed open, Or closed open closed, or right left right or left right left, get the one down pat and then move on to the next. Alternating, weaving the hands...

Partners are good, but if they make mistakes and then you will, it is a longer process, work on a bag, step away from the bag so you just swish it and go for it at a low methodical pace and it will come to you...or have the partner hold their sticks out from their waist like a triangle and strike easy and methodically.

It is very good for your timing, connecting the movements with your foot work, is very important!!! Upper body and lower body moving at the same time...%-}

Regards, Gary

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Going along with Sifu_Adams' and GAB's post, proper chambering is also important making sure your hands are where they are supposed to be.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei,

You can also check out the following Thread whihc has discussions on Sinawali's as well.

I think this is a good discussion thread though, and a good question. :)

I try to move slow and move both hands at the same time. By moving slow this allows you to "Adjust" easier and to learn while you are doing the pattern.

:asian:

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I mess up, it's usually because I did something lazy or weird with chambering, rather than striking. Make sure you think about where your non-striking hand (as you are striking with the other hand) is going.

:)

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
When I mess up, it's usually because I did something lazy or weird with chambering, rather than striking. Make sure you think about where your non-striking hand (as you are striking with the other hand) is going.

:)
Hi, Yes, feisty has a good observation. The slow quality is also good so when chambering you don't hit your elbows with the stick. OUCH...

Of course I have never done that :) but it has been related to me by others:rolleyes:

Regards, Gary

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you all for these terrific tips! I'll use them and see how it goes.

- Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is going much, much better. I found that I can "think" better if I went double sticks than trying to do one stick first and adding the second stick. Doing one handed practice worked fine, but with both sticks immediately afterwards became more confusing. I just simply stopped right there in frustration and took a few minutes break, then started over with double sticks and finally did better. All your tips have proven to be very valuable. Thank you!

- Ceicei

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
It is going much, much better. I found that I can "think" better if I went double sticks than trying to do one stick first and adding the second stick. Doing one handed practice worked fine, but with both sticks immediately afterwards became more confusing. I just simply stopped right there in frustration and took a few minutes break, then started over with double sticks and finally did better. All your tips have proven to be very valuable. Thank you!

- Ceicei
Hi Ceicei,

Yes, it will get better, then you will go to 4 strike and get confused then 6 and so on, lots to look forward to...It is a very good work out as long as you move your lower body also as you are striking the bag...The sinawali is just one of many things you will learn but it is one of the most important...

I also was doing what you were doing today. I am trying to practice a couple of differrent systems in different locations. Several hours is not bad but when it is morning and then at night it is tough on the feet...

Barefooten is the way I am and always have done MA. Some suggest going to the shoes and others will not allow a shoe on the mats, so no stinking shoes for me.

Regards, Gary

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi Ceicei,

Yes, it will get better, then you will go to 4 strike and get confused then 6 and so on, lots to look forward to...It is a very good work out as long as you move your lower body also as you are striking the bag...The sinawali is just one of many things you will learn but it is one of the most important...
Along those same lines remember that the siniwali patterns are not the end but just the beginning. The idea isn't to just learn the pattern (though I am glad that it is coming around for you) it is to learn the patterns so that you engrain fluidity (see the lower body stuff in Gary's post), constant motion and combination striking into your body/brain.

The pattern is just the spring board, the applications of that pattern and translations from stick to hand to foot to ....is what to keep in your long term focus.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Along those same lines remember that the siniwali patterns are not the end but just the beginning. The idea isn't to just learn the pattern (though I am glad that it is coming around for you) it is to learn the patterns so that you engrain fluidity (see the lower body stuff in Gary's post), constant motion and combination striking into your body/brain.

The pattern is just the spring board, the applications of that pattern and translations from stick to hand to foot to ....is what to keep in your long term focus.
Hi Loki,

Yes, you are using a term that means so much in the MA's, Fluidity...
It brings to mind the term my son uses, water capturing rock...
If that makes any sense? It does to me...

Regards, Gary

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi Loki,

Yes, you are using a term that means so much in the MA's, Fluidity...
It brings to mind the term my son uses, water capturing rock...
If that makes any sense? It does to me...

Regards, Gary
Sure does. I don't know how much of the envelopment tactics/squad and platoon level you remember from your service days but if you look at the 'employment of fighting elements' in the siniwali pattern and the diagrams that outline a single/double envelopment or a reaction to near/far enemy fire immediate action drill it is conceptually the same thing:

Coordinating fighting elements in a way maximizes supression of the offensive capability of the enemy with 'fluid' manuevering.

Even the ancient Phalanx of Alex the great called their drills and formation transitions 'dances' within their tactical metaphors.

Latest Discussions