Silat With Eddie Ivester!

silat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Brian,

Thank you for the support!

Don't no why I had to reregister but I am back on board now.

Sincerely,
Teacher: Eddie Ivester

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian,

Thank you for the support!

Don't no why I had to reregister but I am back on board now.

Sincerely,

Hey Eddie glad to have you here and I look forward to your posts. Good video clips by the way!
icon6.gif

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello
I am relatively unfamiliar with your Method of Pencak Silat.....but then again ,I don't know everything about every system of silat. I was curious if you could expound on your method . I'm intersted in finding out about it. I have heard your name mentioned in the "silat community" but have never heard a precise description of your art or approach.
With Respect
Doc D
Dallas Tx

silat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello
I am relatively unfamiliar with your Method of Pencak Silat.....but then again ,I don't know everything about every system of silat. I was curious if you could expound on your method . I'm intersted in finding out about it. I have heard your name mentioned in the "silat community" but have never heard a precise description of your art or approach.
With Respect
Doc D
Dallas Tx

Doc,

Here is a description of one of the main system that I teach:

Pukulan Pencak Silat Tempur
Pukulan -To Strike
Pencak -Skillful Body Movements
Silat -Application of Pencak
Tempur -Combat
To strike with skillful body movements and apply it in combat.

Pukulan Pencak Silat Tempur is based on the following Systems: Bhakti Negara, Wu Tong Silat, Poekoelan Tjimindie, Huc Chung Kuntao, Royal Kuntao & Muay Thai Sila(t).

Here are some of the styles found in PPST:

Pencak Silat: Cimande, Tjikalong, Tjumbuk, Harimau, Sera(k), Perisai Diri, Falling Star, Strelak, Le Fa, Crocodile, Turtle, Snake, Python & Tiger.

Kuntao: Monkey, Horse, Cobra, Leopard, Eagle, Pelican, Lion, Crane & Golden Gorilla.

Pukulan: Setia Hati, Raja Hati & Kilap.

Kali: Sayoc, Inosanto & Filipino Combat Systems.

Internal Energy: Tanaga Dalam, Chi Kung & Nei Gong

PPST is a no-nonsense style of Close Quarter Combatives for self-protection developed from the above styles as well as Law Enforcement Tactics & Military CQC. We do not teach every style listed, nor do we break down every technique or training method and place it within a specific style. They are simply listed to show where some techniques, fighting principles and/or philosophies are derived.

Some systems/styles have had more of an impact on PPST than others and this list is not complete nor finished and we will continue to learn and integrate other systems, styles, techniques, philosophies and/or fighting principles as we see fit.

There are no belt ranks, uniform requirements or testing required for this style, however there are Phase Completion Certificates for those wishing to test for one and takes between 6 months and 1 year of training.

PPST teaches the following:

1: Standup: Hands, head strikes, knees, elbows, kicks, stepping patterns, evasions and etc.

2. Ground: Striking, grappling, takedowns, pressure points and etc.

3. Weapons: Single stick, double stick and knife.

silat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello
With Respect
Doc D
Dallas Tx

Doc,

Here is a description of my core program for Men, Women & Children:

Shaolin Pentjak Silat
Shaolin - Temple or School of the young pine forest
Pentjak -Skillful Body Movements
Silat -Application of Pencak
Shaolin & Indonesian skillful body movements and their applications

Shaolin Pentjak Silat is based on the following Systems:

Shaolin Chuan Fa, Wu Tong Silat, Poekoelan Tjimindie, Huc Chung Kuntao, Royal Kuntao, Bhakti Negara, and Muay Thai Sila(t).

Here are some of the styles found in SPS:

Pentjak Silat: Cimande, Tjikalong, Harimau, Sera(k), Perisai Diri, Tjumbuk, Le Fa, Falling Star, Strelak, Crocodile, Turtle, Snake, Tiger and Python .

Bersilat: Monkey & Willow.

Poekoelan: Raja Hati, Setia Hati & Kilap.

Kuntao: Monkey, Horse, Cobra, Leopard, Eagle, Pelican, Lion, Crane & Golden Gorilla.

Shaolin Chuan Fa: (5 animals) Tiger, Crane, Leopard, Snake, Dragon, Chi Kung & Dynamic Tension.

Shaolin Pentjak Silat is a complete system of striking, kicking, grappling, weapons and Internal Energy and combines the above systems/styles into one cohesive system.

We at The Shaolin Malay Fighting Arts Academy did not combine or put together the Chinese & Malay systems/styles, this is not our invention! These styles and/or systems were mostly integrated by Southeast Asian Masters. We simply have reformatted numerous Chinese-Malay systems into one particular system to best suit our needs.

We have decided to call our system Shaolin Pentjak Silat as we believe this to be a more comprehensive name and description of what we teach as well as being a broader term for all the systems we derive our teachings from and also as a way to honor both the Chinese & Malay fighting arts integrations.

Sash Ranking System

Each sash rank color is 4 months long and based on a 5 day per week training schedule it takes approximately 2 years to attain a Black Sash in Shaolin Pentjak Silat.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing what your school does, Mr. Ivester. You seem to really have a passion for teaching! :) I'm curious, what was it that initially sparked your interest to try Silat?

For me, my friend and training partner showed me a few moves when we were in a buddy's swimming pool. Seeing what a puter kerpala can do to a person was quite the eye opener :D

silat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
:) I'm curious, what was it that initially sparked your interest to try Silat?

Well I didn't know I was studying Silat the first time?

I met my instructor in High School around 1984 and his name was Chai from Thailand, (South Eastern near Malaysia) and he was half Thai & half American. He saw me working out and asked what I studied, after I told him he said he did Muay Thai Sila. Of course very few people had heard of Muay Thai let alone Sila or Boran.

I asked him to show me and I liked it so I said let's spar, (bad mistake on my part) and so he began to beat the crap out of me at will. After that I was hooked!

Muay Thai Sila was his family art and taught to him by his uncle from the time he was 3 until 16. It consisted of Muay Boran, Krabi Krabong & Silat (he said Sila) and although some have argued with me that Sila is not Silat but a Thai Kickboxing style like Muay Boran what he taught me was Silat. It was Monkey style from the Willow system.

We trained for about a year for 3-4 hours everyday after school until he moved. His father was an American GI and got orders to move. A year later when Chai turned 18 he moved back to Thailand and I never heard from him again.

I didn't stumble onto Silat again until around 1989/90'ish and because of the different pronunciation and being from Indonesia instead of Thailand I didn't put the two together at first.

Well once I figured it out I went headstrong and have been studying it ever since.

Sincerely,

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I didn't know I was studying Silat the first time?

I met my instructor in High School around 1984 and his name was Chai from Thailand, (South Eastern near Malaysia) and he was half Thai & half American. He saw me working out and asked what I studied, after I told him he said he did Muay Thai Sila. Of course very few people had heard of Muay Thai let alone Sila or Boran.

I asked him to show me and I liked it so I said let's spar, (bad mistake on my part) and so he began to beat the crap out of me at will. After that I was hooked!

Muay Thai Sila was his family art and taught to him by his uncle from the time he was 3 until 16. It consisted of Muay Boran, Krabi Krabong & Silat (he said Sila) and although some have argued with me that Sila is not Silat but a Thai Kickboxing style like Muay Boran what he taught me was Silat. It was Monkey style from the Willow system.

We trained for about a year for 3-4 hours everyday after school until he moved. His father was an American GI and got orders to move. A year later when Chai turned 18 he moved back to Thailand and I never heard from him again.

I didn't stumble onto Silat again until around 1989/90'ish and because of the different pronunciation and being from Indonesia instead of Thailand I didn't put the two together at first.

Well once I figured it out I went headstrong and have been studying it ever since.

Sincerely,

Cool!
icon14.gif

silat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Yea living near Military bases most of my life really paid off for me big time in the martial arts!

So now I teach on Base since my wife is still Active Duty, Damn I just can't get away from the military! Ha, Ha, HA.

Sincerely,

Latest Discussions