Should kata be symmetrical?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, that's not changing your form, it's just working combinations. It's only changing the form if you assemble a whole new form from those combinations.
In the academy world, you first read all the research papers that have been published (a survey). You then start your own research and write your own paper. To dig information out of the ancient forms is only the 1st step. To create your own form will be the 2nd step. I was talking about the 1st step. You are talking about the 2nd step.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the academy world, you first read all the research papers that have been published (a survey). You then start your own research and write your own paper. To dig information out of the ancient forms is only the 1st step. To create your own form will be the 2nd step. I was talking about the 1st step. You are talking about the 2nd step.
No, we're actually talking about the same step. I'm talking about the meaning of "change". Pulling a few bits out of a form to work on them isn't changing a form - it's working on components of the form (1st step in your example). Changing the form is making it something different - a new form (step 2).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's only one approach, Drop. Another way is to open up their centerline, giving you access to vital striking points, i.e. eyes, point of nose, chin, throat, sternum & plexus, low-center gut, groin all of which are prime things to put a fist into and which are generally accessible if you are successful getting to the rear and/or flank.

Granted, there's lots of stuff to put a fist into on the rear/flank, too. Just pointing out that the conclusory statement that you made above isn't the be-all, end-all of fight tactics. I personally do it that way myself, following a "close 'em up to soften 'em up, then open 'em up to finish 'em" method....

You would still finish off to one side. What you would want to avoid is walking left and right through that center for the sake of symmetry.

People do that on pads a bit by mistake.

It is more complicated than that of course.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would still finish off to one side. What you would want to avoid is walking left and right through that center for the sake of symmetry.

I think I need to pay more attention to this in my drills.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Do you have a video of what you're alking about (that people mess up)? I'm not sure I'm following it.

Latest Discussions