Should I refrain from hitting the heavy bag before I get a boxing coach?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by Bee Brian, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Bee Brian

Bee Brian Yellow Belt

Should I refrain from hitting the heavy bag before I get a boxing coach?

I heard that doing so will build bad habits.

The boxing gym where I live is still closed due to COVID-19.

I mean... I really do wonder... There's some good stuff in ExpertBoxing.com. Can't I just buy some of their DVDs and self-teach? Obviously, without a coach, training partners, and sparring partners, I won't get anywhere. But what about merely learning proper technique?? I have a working camera with a tripod.

Still, I'll likely won't go that route. But I do wonder if it truly is a bad idea.

2. skribs

skribs Grandmaster

When you start hitting a heavy bag with bad form, you risk injury. I'd personally recommend having a coach teach you the techniques and decide when you're ready for the heavy bag.

3. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

If you don't know how to box. You are going to be poop at it and will have to learn to be better. Hence the coach.

Hitting a bag won't have been your problem.

4. Rat

Rat Master Black Belt

Look up images and videos on fist structure and punching and then just do it slowly and deliberately until you have your hand right. eg if you feel your wrist go while punching it, stop the punch and learn from that. You wont be able to stop your punch if you do it full force.

I remphisise slow and delibrate until you can hit right most of the time. leaning towards the closest to 100%.

Edit: Also he isnt going to learn to box by using the heavy bag, hes goign to get used to punching and actually exercise as opposed to not.

I also did the above method bare handed to learn how to punch and didnt break anything, my wrist went a couple of times but if you do it slowly and delibrately you should be able to catch it.

5. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

the technique will self correct, if it hurts your doing it wrong if the bag doesnt move yoyr doing it wrong, work between thosr two parameters a nd you not far away

6. Rat

Rat Master Black Belt

Addendum to my post, if you are doing it bare handed or with minimal padding you should adjust your force accordingly. You shouldnt be hitting a bag full force with no padding on etc it just hurts and damages your hand. It kind of depends on the bag and the material in it, but for most thats a bad idea.

7. jobo

jobo Grandmaster

its a minor discomfort it doesn't really hurt beyond you may rip your knuckles up a bit

8. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Ugh... read the thread title as: "Should I refrain from hitting the heavy cat before I get a boxing coach?"

I need to get some sleep....

But since I'm here! It's always best to learn proper technique from a coach/instructor, and get good feedback from them as they watch and correct you. You certainly don't want to injure yourself, although that is also a good teacher ;).

But I would still use the bag, but go much much lighter. Read up on the basics, tight fist, straight wrist etc. Plenty of people do bagwork that haven't had extensive training. But go lighter and ease your way into harder punches over weeks or even months. Maybe some wellfitted tight gloves or wrist wraps if you're concerned about hurting yourself. Have fun :)123