Should I go?

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I went to class Monday night.. after like a 3 month absense of MA. Well.. I didn't go last night, because my muscles are very sore from having been away for so long. They are still not the greatest today. I still have Friday and Saturday I can go to class for this week..

would you go tonight with sore muscles or wait til tomorrow and go saturday as well?

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Go tonight! Often sore muscles feel a lot better after repeating similar exercises 24-48 h after the soreness was induced. There is no time like the present, and it is very easy to make excuses why not to go to class. Try to develop the regular habit quickly, and it will be easier to stick with it.

If your muscles are really agonizingly sore, then pull back a bit on your intensity tonight and give yourself time to warm up properly before the class (outside, in lobby, etc.)

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I went to class Monday night.. after like a 3 month absense of MA. Well.. I didn't go last night, because my muscles are very sore from having been away for so long. They are still not the greatest today. I still have Friday and Saturday I can go to class for this week..

would you go tonight with sore muscles or wait til tomorrow and go saturday as well?

Yeah, I'd go. But, I'm old (46) so I'd figure keep pounding those sore muscles and force them to stretch and grow rather than heal back to their old pre-soreness state ;)

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Go tonight! Often sore muscles feel a lot better after repeating similar exercises 24-48 h after the soreness was induced. There is no time like the present, and it is very easy to make excuses why not to go to class. Try to develop the regular habit quickly, and it will be easier to stick with it.

If your muscles are really agonizingly sore, then pull back a bit on your intensity tonight and give yourself time to warm up properly before the class (outside, in lobby, etc.)

Yes, go go go! If you make an excuse tonight it will be easier to make an excuse tomorrow.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness—and it can be almost paralyzing, especially the kind associated with lifting really heavy weights. About 40 hours after the training session is when it's at its worst. About the only good thing you can say is, it lets you know you did some righteous work at that session!

It usually starts declining after about 48 hours, and my experience with weight training has been, lifting again within that time frame won't make it worse (though it's almost certainly not a good idea when weights are involved, simply because you aren't allowing enough recovery time to ensure that there actually some muscle growth from the activity; but for stretching, you can do that again and again within a given time frame and benefit from it).

Yeah, I'd go. But, I'm old (46) so I'd figure keep pounding those sore muscles and force them to stretch and grow rather than heal back to their old pre-soreness state ;)

You're 46. I'm 60. I'm not old, so you certain can't be—QED! :wink1:

Yes, go go go! If you make an excuse tonight it will be easier to make an excuse tomorrow.

Yes. Absolutely. Inertia is the great enemy. Pain is one thing, but this delayed onset soreness is something else, and doesn't have anything to do with damage to your body. If it really is just soreness, I would definitely go and, as people have already advised you above, just take it as easy as you can while still doing your in-class training routine.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go the muxcle will make way for your training it is the mind that needs work. When the mind can no longer feel pain your body will not either.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that it would be a good thing to go & dial it down a bit (as Cory mentioned). I agree with Master Lauren that if you don't go tonight, it will be easy to not go on Friday. (Pain has a way of doing that to us).

Making TKD a habit is the key. I'm by no means saying that you should ignore pain: but after 3 months offmost folks would be sore. You can't expect to jump back in at the training level you were used to before.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
You mean there are days you go to class and are NOT sore from the previous workout? :)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else. Go to class. You've been out for awhile and it will do you good (psychologically) to go as often as possible to get back into the mindset for training. If you're too sore to do a full workout then explain that to your instructor and do what you can. We've lost a lot of students over the years because they found themselves in the exact situation that you are in. An absence, a single class back that enduced soreness, lay out to let the soreness go away and just didn't come back. Even if you simply go to the dojang and sit and watch the class it's better than sitting at home on the couch. Remember that a great deal of your training is mental and you can train that sitting in the gallery watching.

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well i didn't make it.. not because of the pain...
I had actually decided to go...

My stupid self left my belt in my wife's car, and she didn't get home til it was 45 minutes too late. I'm very anal when it comes to showing up to class without proper uniform/gear.

I'm going tomorrow, and Sat.

so I will still have gotten 3 classes in for the week.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think forgetting your belt costs you 50 pushups in my class, and a spot at the back of the line. And, of course, ribbing for the whole night :lol:
I'd freak out if I was getting dressed and noticed my belt was missing!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm very anal when it comes to showing up to class without proper uniform/gear.

In the end, it's only a belt. I'd rather my students show up without a belt than not show up at all.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

well i didn't make it.. not because of the pain...
I had actually decided to go...

My stupid self left my belt in my wife's car, and she didn't get home til it was 45 minutes too late. I'm very anal when it comes to showing up to class without proper uniform/gear.

I'm going tomorrow, and Sat.

so I will still have gotten 3 classes in for the week.

And the excuses begin...

Don't let them continue. If it's that big an issue to you, get a spare belt and uniform and keep one in both cars.

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well I don't like being "that guy".

I hate it when he lets little kids show up without uniforms, or half uniforms, or stained up uniforms. It looks bad when a grown up can't remember simple things like that.

I have several uniforms.. only one belt. I'm going today and tomorrow.

We are only required to go twice a week.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I don't like being "that guy".

I hate it when he lets little kids show up without uniforms, or half uniforms, or stained up uniforms. It looks bad when a grown up can't remember simple things like that.

I have several uniforms.. only one belt. I'm going today and tomorrow.

We are only required to go twice a week.
When I started training, my teacher only offered class one day a week. His reasoning was simple; with multiple classes, people find reasons to justify (aka excuses) not going to every class. But with only one class -- they don't. Me? I was always afraid that the class I missed would be the one that I really, really needed! I trained daily... even if only for a few minutes.

You have the option to attend several classes a week -- but are willing to settle for the ones that are "required." Realistically -- work schedules and being an adult may keep you from attending every class, but you claim that martial arts are something you're serious about. You want to become an instructor one day. You need to attend every class you can; you need to learn as much as you can. You need to see how different people teach, how different situations that come up in class are handled, and just plain get as much supervised training (practice aimed at improving) you can.

Belts are cheap; less than $10, including shipping, I believe. Buy a second belt. Keep a spare uniform in each car. (I used to always have my training bag with me; it let me jump into a class or training opportunity unexpectedly on several occasions. Now -- I settle for keeping some gym gear around, that I can throw on and train in.)

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When I started training, my teacher only offered class one day a week. His reasoning was simple; with multiple classes, people find reasons to justify (aka excuses) not going to every class. But with only one class -- they don't. Me? I was always afraid that the class I missed would be the one that I really, really needed! I trained daily... even if only for a few minutes.

You have the option to attend several classes a week -- but are willing to settle for the ones that are "required." Realistically -- work schedules and being an adult may keep you from attending every class, but you claim that martial arts are something you're serious about. You want to become an instructor one day. You need to attend every class you can; you need to learn as much as you can. You need to see how different people teach, how different situations that come up in class are handled, and just plain get as much supervised training (practice aimed at improving) you can.

Belts are cheap; less than $10, including shipping, I believe. Buy a second belt. Keep a spare uniform in each car. (I used to always have my training bag with me; it let me jump into a class or training opportunity unexpectedly on several occasions. Now -- I settle for keeping some gym gear around, that I can throw on and train in.)

thats actually not a bad idea.

I may just do that. thanks.

Latest Discussions