Short form one....

R

Rainman

Originally posted by Bonehead

It is one's ability/inability to be perceptive and functional in situations such as:

The body inverted

The body rotating

The body at heights

The body in flight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Is Spatial Orientation Important?
Safety in the martial arts is, of course, paramount. It is also dependent upon the student knowing where they are.

The execution of many skills relies on the correct training of some muscular action during the performance of the skill. The more aware the student is of what the body is doing, where the body is, where the limbs are relative to the body, etc., the safer the student will be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Limits One's Spatial Orientation Abilities?
This motor attribute is governed for the most part, by the kinesthetic sense that is compromised of two main anatomical components: the Vestibular System and the Proprioceptive System. The Vestibular System consists of the semi-circular canals in the middle ear and the Proprioceptive System consists of many different sensory receptors in the muscles, tendons and ligaments that monitor the position of body parts relative to the body.

As with all other senses, the kinesthetic sense responds to concentrated usage with greater sensitivity and to lack of usage with reduced sensitivity. .

Intersting material, where did it come from?

:asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod Note: This is a thinned down copy of a previous thread.:asian:

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

What about (not in any particular order)...

10. Knee checks
11. Rear Buckles
:asian:

I have never though of it that way....hmmmmmmm..that opens up a lot of new doors.. Thanks! :)

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc

Dan, I thought you had stopped doing that. Watch out for the crickets, they can be deafening.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for the heads up!

Dan "My Great Grandaddy was the Evil Fu-Manchu" Farmer

E

Elfan

Originally posted by Kalicombat

Short Form 1, as stated in INFINITE INSIGHTS, Volume 5, teaches 17 points:
1. Staying down while in a stance.
2. To use an erect carriage.
3. Increasing peripheral vision
4. Always looking at your opponent.
5. Never exposing your back unnecessarily.
6. How to cover in a neutral bow stance.
7. To keep your head at a constant level while changing stances.
8. How to retreat from an opponent when you turn to face the then unkown.
9. Basic timing of hands and feet.
10. How to retreat from an opponent while retreating, (opposite hand, opposite foot).
11. Relaxing and tensing at the proper moment.
12. Angle changes in preparation for a mass attack.
13. How to use the opposite arm as a hidden weapon.
14. How to move up and down in an "L" pattern.
15. Repetition of the four basic blocks while you are retreating.
16. To have your block make contact at a distance from you so that your opponents punch will be diverted.
17. Crisp moves with snap and torque.

Gary Catherman

Is that the exact order and wording from II 5?

Originally posted by C.E.Jackson

If you wanted to take a good look at ALL the theories and principles, as well as possible self defense applications in Short Form 1 ... you could probably spend up to a year on this form ALONE!:shrug:

Well it seems to me that that is exactly what you want to do. At orange you shoudn't be doing Short Form 1 like you did at your yellow belt test, it should be even better. At purple it should be better still. Make sense?

How many people actually require something like that at your schools?

K

Kenpomachine

I agree with you Elfan.
You couldn't possible tell a yellow belt to extract all those teachings at first. They have enough with the foot-block coordination, changing directions and then imagining someone punching them to request more of thems.

But I must tell that I never thought of short one as exhaustive as you made look into it. And at first, with the cat stance and so, I even thought you were talking af long one. So it's great to read those wondedrful msg of yours.

S

SingingTiger

Originally posted by Elfan

At orange you shoudn't be doing Short Form 1 like you did at your yellow belt test, it should be even better. At purple it should be better still. Make sense?

How many people actually require something like that at your schools?

The owner of my school is fond of saying that he considers Short One to be one of the most challenging forms. And all of those who conduct tests do, indeed, expect progressively better form while executing Short 1 as you progress up the chart.

Rich

D

desert_dragon

While practicing short form 1 or any other form for that matter...try executing the form in reverse. First move step back with your left foot into a left neutral bow facing six o'clock as you simultaneously execute a right inward block followed by a left downward block creating double factoring as your right fist returns to chamber at your right hip utilizing torque in its return motion...etc. What does this teach? What about using the defensive (blocks) moves as offensive (strikes) moves? ie:the downward block could be used as a hammerfist the right inward block could be used as first a check or as a heelpalm claw or a simple punch. This all comes back to the question , when is a block a block and a punch a punch? All defensive moves can compound to offensive and vice versa;)

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by desert_dragon
. This all comes back to the question , when is a block a block and a punch a punch? All defensive moves can compound to offensive and vice versa;)

and that's still a great question-- but i'd take it step further and ask do you feel a block HAS the same inherent components of a strike or do you feel there is a significant difference - is intent truly all that makes one one thing or changes it to the other or are there physical principles that apply mostly to one and not the other.

I've heard opposing views in the past-- but i'd be interested in hearing what folks here think.

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by desert_dragon
While practicing short form 1 or any other form for that matter...try executing the form in reverse. First move step back with your left foot into a left neutral bow facing six o'clock as you simultaneously execute a right inward block followed by a left downward block creating double factoring as your right fist returns to chamber at your right hip utilizing torque in its return motion...etc. What does this teach? What about using the defensive (blocks) moves as offensive (strikes) moves? ie:the downward block could be used as a hammerfist the right inward block could be used as first a check or as a heelpalm claw or a simple punch. This all comes back to the question , when is a block a block and a punch a punch? All defensive moves can compound to offensive and vice versa;)

Is this who I think it is LOL? No one else thinks this way but people I know, right E.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

K

Kenpo Yahoo

AKKI form one is similiar to a combined short form 1 and long form 1 sort of.

It contains various contact manipulation techniques and weapon disarms, but like all good kenpo they tend to hide in plain sight :shrug:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by jazkiljok
and that's still a great question-- but i'd take it step further and ask do you feel a block HAS the same inherent components of a strike or do you feel there is a significant difference - is intent truly all that makes one one thing or changes it to the other or are there physical principles that apply mostly to one and not the other.

I've heard opposing views in the past-- but i'd be interested in hearing what folks here think.

Mental point of reference plays an important part.

D

desert_dragon

yeah Clyde its me. I thought it was time to knock some rust off and start thinking again! LOL

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
You're gonna get flooded with questions! Like.... what is that!

:confused:

It is, essentially, perception Dennis. Like mind set ... If my mind set is that you are tougher than me, then every time we fight ... You are going to win, by definition.

Block/strike is the same way... If you look at a block as simply a block, then in your paradigm, that is all it will ever be. If you look at a block as an opportunity to strike ... Ahhhh .... Then it takes on a completely different significance. Capishe?

Dan "I may be wrong, but I am trying" Farmer