Short Form #2

Does the trick below work for you? (read description below)

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The forward and reverses do not necessarily occur in the same form, although many do in Long Form 2 especially, as we see sophisticated basics.

I do not particularly care for these nor do I teach them, although over the years I have seen Huk's tapes and in the 80's and early 90's done lots of seminars with him, I just am not into catagory completion and the way he uses the forms to teach "everything". I assume this is where MisterMike's orientation came from, somewhere back down his lineage, since that way of looking at forms was spread far and wide in the 80's by Huk, and Mr. Parker often referred to him as the Encyclopedia of Forms.

I see it turning up from people who have never met the man, but his seminars to other's have somehow permeated and spread through lots of Kenpo practitioners that are 3rd, 4th or even now 5th generation removed from Mr. Parker.

It is one way of looking at Forms and what they teach. But not the only way. I tend to be much more application oriented, even when we are doing forms that are teaching basics or sophisticated basics and not techniques per se.

-MB

OP
M

MisterMike

Oh Robert,

I didn't mean anything by it. :asian: Sometimes things don't come across as intended, but I was only referring to whay I've studied and didn't mean to sounds as though no-one else should be looking at POO in the forms. It wasn't meant as a crack.

One reason I've noticed for they way MY forms are spread out is that there are shuffles placed throughout which some people may not put in.

As for the C-step and other transitions, I did not use a lot of terms that may be the same as other schools, and I also left out inplace transitions. But the forward bows are all mentioned ;-)

I kind of used theterm "Cover" generically.

Kind regards,

OP
M

MisterMike

I assume this is where MisterMike's orientation came from

Yes, Michael, you're correct here. Mr. Planas' influence is very strong in my Kenpo lineage :)

I especially like the category completions, as well as finding the applications in the techniques.

OP
B

BlackPhoenix

The Best Way To Find This Out Is To Ask " Huk ". That's Where I Got My Information From.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Uh...with the exception of Short 3, ALL the forms should start/end in the same place.

Ya think that's hard...all the forms are supposed to be done in a six-foot-by-six-foot box, too...and yet my Long 5 remains a box roughly the shape and size of Nebraska.
I gave up on practicing LF4 & 5 anywhere but in a field. Kept having to navigate studio walls...I hate it when that happens. BTW, where did you get the thing about the 6x6 box? Don't think I ever heard that before.

OP
K

Kenpomachine

The mat in tournaments is 6 x 6 meters, maybe 7 x 7, I'm not sure. But certainly not 6 x 6 foot

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Err, more like 3 x 3 meters, with another meter as buffer zone in combats. But I'm still not sure. The mat at university is used mainly by TKD guys and memory can fail me.

Latest Discussions