• No, barefoot

Results are only viewable after voting.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
As far as high heels or sandals, our Instructor recommended taking them off and using barefeet in the event of an attack. This would not be an issue wearing tennis shoes though.

You're kidding right???

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
You're kidding right???

Mike
I obviously don't wear high heels but I would kick off a pair of flip flops in an heart beat. I feel very vunerable in flip flops; so, I don't often wear them. Why do you consider this bad advice?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
I obviously don't wear high heels but I would kick off a pair of flip flops in an heart beat. I feel very vunerable in flip flops; so, I don't often wear them. Why do you consider this bad advice?

Like the attacker is going to give you the chance to kick off the shoes??

"Wait a second mister mugger, so I can take off my high heels. Please dont try to attack or rape me until I do so."

I dont wear high heels either, but then again, I really dont wear sandals, so I guess I dont have to worry about that.

Just struck me funny because people always talk bad about grappling. "Why do you want to roll on the ground with rocks, broken glass etc?" Ok...why do you want to take your shoes off and fight in bare feet??

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Like the attacker is going to give you the chance to kick off the shoes??

"Wait a second mister mugger, so I can take off my high heels. Please dont try to attack or rape me until I do so."

I dont wear high heels either, but then again, I really dont wear sandals, so I guess I dont have to worry about that.

Just struck me funny because people always talk bad about grappling. "Why do you want to roll on the ground with rocks, broken glass etc?" Ok...why do you want to take your shoes off and fight in bare feet??

Mike
Well in that respect, unless you are caught completely off guard, you have time. :asian: (time to wear a safer pair of shoes)
sean

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually Im not kidding. Keep in mind, barring a surprise attack where you have no time to remove sandals or high heels, it wouldn't be a big deal to just kick off sandals, high heels, dress shoes, or whatever. Most of them are not firmly attached anyway. I think it would be a good idea to practice how you would remove these shoes time permitting in the event of a situation.
It is also a good idea to practice moving and techniques you would do if you couldn't remove them. How would you step? What techniques could you do or not do? However, you'd be surprised what you can do with enough practice.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup--you bring up some good points. I do think though that its gonna be kind of hard to move in high heels. Sure, its possible to take them off, but if that attacker doesnt give you the chance, and most likely he will not, I highly suggest that the person has a good back up plan.

Mike

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Reminds of the scene in "Billy Jack" where Billy Jack removes his boots before a fight and tells the toughs "I'm going to kick you in your temple on the right side of your head, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it!"

S

sifu nick

MA shoes usually when I'm teaching but I don't like them to train in.

T

Titan Uk

I have always trained on hard wooden floor, but in the not to distant future we will be getting floor mats.
Nearly evryone trains in bare feet. Occasionally we have a session in normal everyday clothes to see what a difference it make.
What a big difference. There no kicks above waist height due to clothes and shoes.
Once students have the basics then it is good to allow shoes to be worn on occasions to see how techniques need to be alter to compensate for this.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the main studio - barefoot. I bought a pair of indoor/wrestling-esque shoes, but they are a little too big for me - I end up going barefoot almost all the time.

In the auxilliary studio - we can be barefoot, or wear street shoes (it's a hard, marked-up floor) - I wear regular sneakers. It does give training a little bit of a different feel - I find myself kicking with my toe more when I've got that sneaker support. Nice upkick to the groin would be even more persuasive.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We train on mats and I wear MA shoes. Other people wear a more wrestling type shoe (which I am very jealous of :p) I plan on getting a pair once my shoes wear out a little bit more and I can justify buying another $100.00 pair of MA shoes.

I

Insedia_Cantharis

we can go barefoot, or we can where ma/wrestling shoes. I personally where wrestling boots. you can find them in any MA catalogue.

Pittbull

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Everyone in my Dojo including my self wear either wrestling shoes or tiger claw ma shoes.Reason being the dojo we moved out of last week had concrete floors and so does our new one

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shoes protect feet.

I like my feet.

So I wear shoes.

Broken toes, Athletes foot, Plantar warts, sprained ankles, etc. All things I'd rather not have...

The reason martial arts tend to be barefoot is religious. "Don't wear shoes indoors" idea, not being of Eastern religion, that really isn't enough to sway my vote...

Wrestling shoes get my vote, after wearing them nothing else would feel right.

Fight with attitude

Green Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
The reason martial arts tend to be barefoot is religious. "Don't wear shoes indoors" idea, not being of Eastern religion, that really isn't enough to sway my vote...
I'm not of Eastern religion either but I am very cheap, so I go barefoot.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
It depends on where I'm training at- one place has a wooden floor, and doesn't tear up my feet (now). The other place however, has carpeting and will either tear up my heels or big toes.

Oh! Almost forgot you asked where I got them at! I got my shoes at Karate Depot.com.

Shade Silverwing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I haven't started any training yet, but since I'm jsut a beginner it will most likely be no shoes, at least to start out.

After I've done the 4 months of training in this semester, I don't know what it'll be after that.

But... I hate shoes anyway. So I'll probably keep it that way.

Geez... I really have trouble with words...

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everlast came out with some interesting shoes for women last year. They are street shoes designed to look like boxing shoes. I think they were trying to ride the recent women's boxing trend that occured here, (Tia Ali and that movie Girlfight). They seem pretty well suited for MA work and they are phasing them out so you can find them for about $20 a pair. My fiance' bought a pair because they looked good (ie. she liked the colors) and she figures they will be a decent training shoe. I try to remember to get her opinion posted later.

B

Bigodinho

Our capoeira class usually goes barefoot, the hardcore students that is. But people have taken to wearing shoes almost as a fad. Some wear wrestling shoes, some very light indoor soccer shoes... it all depends on the type of floor we practice on also. Usually on hardwood floors (dance studio type floors) we go barefoot. If we're doing a demonstration outside on the street, most of us wear shoes.

Latest Discussions