• Yes, wrestling shoes

• Yes, street shoes

• Yes, some other kind of shoe

• No, just socks

• No, barefoot

Results are only viewable after voting.
B

Black Bear

Blindside = correct. If MAists did the sort of motions that say greco guys did, barefoot, they would have so many minor bumps, bruises, and sprains on their toes, it wouldn't be funny. Oh, wait, it would. I would laugh at them. Laugh hard. Except when it was me. I didn't laugh.

Don't do it.

S

ShaolinWolf

Barefoot...Well, I can understand shoes in some other arts, but in TKD?...lol...yeah, Barefoot...:shrug:

C

Chicago Green Dragon

I usually wear black K-swiss or Black rockport gym shoes in the studio.

I think you should train in shoes because out on the street when you are wearing shoes you will kick differently then barefoot.
Also, there is a weight difference, balance and other factors that should be taken into consideration too.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Nightingale said:
how many of you wear shoes in the dojo? if so, what kind and where do you get them?

S

ShaolinWolf

I agree Chicago...but then again, I don't have a choice, LOL. TKD requires that no shoes are on the mat. So...

:asian:

E

elcajon555

I don;t think the pressence of shoes would make that much of a difference in a self defensive situation. I like training barefoot and I am confident that on the street regardless of my shoes I still would be able to defend myself. I mean it is like training with tee shirts and shorts in the summer, because that is what you will be wearing, training with a winter coat on in the winter because you will have that on. The point is that you will never know what you are wearing for clothes and shoes when it comes to a self defensive situation, all that matters is how good your training is, and if it is good no shoes or clothes will limit you to the point of not being able to defend yourself. I believe training should be done in traditional clothes/uniforms and barefoot.

S

ShaolinWolf

yeah, heck in a street fight, I don't care if I was wearing tight jeans and I ripped the seem at the crotch or rear...I'm going to win...lol...yeah, that was irrelevant, but just expanding on what you just said...heheh

:)

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
ShaolinWolf said:
yeah, heck in a street fight, I don't care if I was wearing tight jeans and I ripped the seem at the crotch or rear...I'm going to win...lol...yeah, that was irrelevant, but just expanding on what you just said...heheh

:)

But, what if in the process of throwing the kick, the seem doesn't rip and you get lifted off your base leg and thrown on the ground because the materiel stayed in tact and acted like a rope tied between your legs? What about learning to use the winter coat or other street clothing as improptu weapons/defensive tools in motion.

Train like you fight, fight like you train.

S

ShaolinWolf

Paul, that's not what I meant. What I meant is, I want to be ready in any case, but I don't care what clothes I'm wearing. I believe in training in clothes of all kind, so you can be ready, not that I do that alot. I mostly wear heavy clothes, or just my dobok when training. In the above comment, I meant that I'd go through the humiliation of ripping my seams to win if I had to. Sure, I'd run, but if I had no way out. That is what I meant, not talking about tactical strategies or anything, just making an example.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
ShaolinWolf said:
Paul, that's not what I meant. What I meant is, I want to be ready in any case, but I don't care what clothes I'm wearing. I believe in training in clothes of all kind, so you can be ready, not that I do that alot. I mostly wear heavy clothes, or just my dobok when training. In the above comment, I meant that I'd go through the humiliation of ripping my seams to win if I had to. Sure, I'd run, but if I had no way out. That is what I meant, not talking about tactical strategies or anything, just making an example.

I got it, was building on it, not tearing it down. In your example, if the point is to be ready, you need to know that the seem won't rip, that you will dump yourself... or at least that is what I did :) when the seem in my jeans stayed in tact. Ripped the base leg right out from under me. Luckily it was after class and we were talking/demonstrating/sharing and I meant to show a combo kick.... oops. That was an eye opener about clothing/readiness.

I remember reading in "Rogue Warrior" (the only one in the series worth reading as far as I am concerned) where Marcinko tells about training helicopter insertions on the deck of a Cruise ship. They found out real fast that, unlike naval/cargo vessels, cruise ships wax their decks for that nice luxury liner look. Really embarrassing when you have an entire squad/platoon of ELITE Navy SEALS (everybody say OOOOOOOOH!) slipping and falling all over each other because they didn't know that in advance. It happens everywhere. But, if you happen to rip out the crotch of your 'training' jeans during a work out.... hope it isn't cold :).

G

Gary Crawford

I used to train only barefoot back when all I did was Kenpo,since moving on to jkd,I first trained in tennis shoes,but lately I have switched to wrestling shoes and I love em.I feel much more secure about my footing while kicking therefore I feel like I'm faster(maybe it just feels that way).To me it's the closest thing to being barefoot without being barefoot.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the wrestling shoes for grappling, b/c I'm too old to heal fast when the tops of my feet get zipped open on the mat. Not too many of the other guys like it, though. Rubber sticks to skin while working transitions. Tried socks...didn;t fly. Back to barefoot, but bummin. Ductape only holds over a mat-burn so long when you're sweating.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have always been in warm climates (Hawaii) and Instructors are more traditional, so we have always went bare foot. Now that doesn't mean I will hold up a fight to take my shoes off.

Thanks

R

rschoon

I ussually dont allow shoes on my mats as they are a bit cheap. I cant afford the nice swains. I will however allow MA shoes. When we train outside street shoes are of course allowed.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
elcajon555 said:
I don;t think the pressence of shoes would make that much of a difference in a self defensive situation. I like training barefoot and I am confident that on the street regardless of my shoes I still would be able to defend myself. I mean it is like training with tee shirts and shorts in the summer, because that is what you will be wearing, training with a winter coat on in the winter because you will have that on. The point is that you will never know what you are wearing for clothes and shoes when it comes to a self defensive situation, all that matters is how good your training is, and if it is good no shoes or clothes will limit you to the point of not being able to defend yourself. I believe training should be done in traditional clothes/uniforms and barefoot.

Actually, what you're wearing on your feet as well as the clothing on your back will make a difference in your outcome. Are you saying that a woman who's wearing high heels will be able to move the same as if she's barefoot? I do agree that one should train in a heavy jacket, jeans, etc. just for the sake of getting a feel for what its going to be like. Wearing a heavy winter coat will limit your movement compared to wearing a light weight jacket or just a t shirt. The same can be said for gi pants, which are loose fitting, compared to jeans or a suit. I'm not saying that the kicks cant be done, I'm just saying that there will be a different feel.

Mike

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, everybody, parents, guests included take off shoes at the door.
We are barefoot on the dojo mat. We wear Adidas kicking shoes at tournaments though - mainly because the outer floor is freezing! And we can wear them on the mats at tournaments. If I compete, i take them off.
Nothing is as good as barefoot for balance and traction.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no iron-clad rule that sais No Shoes in the Dojang, it is up to each Organization. At our Central Studio, some of the students wear TKD shoes, although I'm not sure why since the floor isn't rough or anything.
For outdoor practice, we do wear shoes to protect our feet. However, it is good to train in street shoes once in a while to get used to them and adapt to how you would kick. Also, street shoes begin to feel really heavy after a while, and it's good for stamina.
As far as high heels or sandals, our Instructor recommended taking them off and using barefeet in the event of an attack. This would not be an issue wearing tennis shoes though.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
Actually, what you're wearing on your feet as well as the clothing on your back will make a difference in your outcome. Are you saying that a woman who's wearing high heels will be able to move the same as if she's barefoot? I do agree that one should train in a heavy jacket, jeans, etc. just for the sake of getting a feel for what its going to be like. Wearing a heavy winter coat will limit your movement compared to wearing a light weight jacket or just a t shirt. The same can be said for gi pants, which are loose fitting, compared to jeans or a suit. I'm not saying that the kicks cant be done, I'm just saying that there will be a different feel.

Mike

Either that, or you should simply plan ahead and buy the stretch or wide leg jeans vs the ones that look painted on etc. ;)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might look good in tight stregth jeans but if I wore them everyone would run and hide or just surcome to fits of laughter.
Practiceing in stret clothing needs to be done once in a while to give you the feel of moveing in your normal clothing and learning its limitations.

J

jdubakki

we train in two diferent schools in one we wear martial art shoes or wrestling shoes because there isnt a mat and in the other we go barefoot because there is a mat

Latest Discussions