Shodan ego inflation

• Thread starter angrywhitepajamas
  • Start date

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is natural among almost all new dan holders. The best you can do is to remind the student that BB is only the beggining of REAL study, it is like going into college, you have the basic skills of the art, but are nowhere near true and accurate understanding...Alot of schools used to practice BB hazing and such, which is not good for students development; rather show the student of what they have left to learn, because true mastery lies not in what you can show off, but what you know you cannot...that is meant to be cryptic, in the tone my teacher once told me, interpret it as you may ;-)
--josh

well our 2 last shodan ho people.. one male and one female have not had that problem at all. they have known that they have much to learn yet...( i have even more) but if they had that threat of retern to kyu rank would have been a good insentive to not get a swelled head.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the end, the likelyhood of such a situation arising depends in large part upon the sensei.

As has been touched on by several in this thread, martial arts training starts off with an emphasis on the physical but as the grades are surpassed then the mental and emotional become more important.

A sensei, who is not merely running his/her students through the belt-mill to make money, will have a good idea of the state of development of his higher kyu grades (after training them for three years or more) and if someone is not ready for that step to shodan then that person will not be made to take that step. Even in a commercial school such restraint can happen, as with an example I gave elsewhere about a brown belt (in my old Lau Gar school) with terrible attitude problems who was held back from black until she conquered those problems.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
well our 2 last shodan ho people.. one male and one female have not had that problem at all. they have known that they have much to learn yet...( i have even more) but if they had that threat of retern to kyu rank would have been a good insentive to not get a swelled head.

Note: "almost"
Sukerkin: I would generally agree, but I feel that the very first principle that should be taught it martial etiquette...is is the foundation from which all further training should be (must be) built on...Without the proper attitude and respect one cannot progress through any classical school.
--josh

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the end, the likelyhood of such a situation arising depends in large part upon the sensei.

As has been touched on by several in this thread, martial arts training starts off with an emphasis on the physical but as the grades are surpassed then the mental and emotional become more important.

A sensei, who is not merely running his/her students through the belt-mill to make money, will have a good idea of the state of development of his higher kyu grades (after training them for three years or more) and if someone is not ready for that step to shodan then that person will not be made to take that step. Even in a commercial school such restraint can happen, as with an example I gave elsewhere about a brown belt (in my old Lau Gar school) with terrible attitude problems who was held back from black until she conquered those problems.

I have to agree with this. In that any Sensei has an obligation ( even giri) to not make a 'frankenstine' student by giving the techniques and rank that they are not mentaly and or physicialy ready for. this is why my sensei is very carefull about who he promotes at every grade, but especialy green belt and above. He will NOT promote some one to shodan ho if they do not have a real handle on their ego and their head is not rapped around the fact that all that means is its time to start over and look at things and see if from the prespective of the new position and rank they see what they missed before as a kyu rank studen.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shodan is the perfect time to drop whatever remaining ego you can. I found that the more humble I become and the less impressive I want to be, the more I take things on with the "serious sword". I think shodan can individually find their own meaning for the BB, but I think it means you're serious about learning your art at least. In our school, it seems like almost every BB has a different take on kata, stances, technique etc., occasionally conradictory. Undaunted, I learn it each way I'm taught, then I develop my way. Our head sensei and owner of the dojo is a kyoshi for the canadian system of our karate, so we all treat his word basically as law and he has the final say on what a technique is for or the correct way of doing it. Every once in a while he has to set everything straight and put us all on the same page, but I apreciate the fluidity as I'm taught many possibilities by the other BB's perspectives. We don't have room for ignorance and without respect, humbleness and seriousness, there is no way to achieve shodan.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shodan is the perfect time to drop whatever remaining ego you can. I found that the more humble I become and the less impressive I want to be, the more I take things on with the "serious sword". I think shodan can individually find their own meaning for the BB, but I think it means you're serious about learning your art at least. In our school, it seems like almost every BB has a different take on kata, stances, technique etc., occasionally conradictory. Undaunted, I learn it each way I'm taught, then I develop my way. Our head sensei and owner of the dojo is a kyoshi for the canadian system of our karate, so we all treat his word basically as law and he has the final say on what a technique is for or the correct way of doing it. Every once in a while he has to set everything straight and put us all on the same page, but I apreciate the fluidity as I'm taught many possibilities by the other BB's perspectives. We don't have room for ignorance and without respect, humbleness and seriousness, there is no way to achieve shodan.

sounds like a good way to do it.. I try to empty my cup each class.. not sure I do as good a job at it as I would wish.. but I sure try..

Latest Discussions