She said WHAT? About WHO?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mike Savage has called Diane Sawyer a 'lying whore' and a 'prostitute' and others same or worse

Well, Savage is in his own class of xenophobia and hatred that has nothing to do left/right politics

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
the duke rape "victim' was in fact a ho

Which really doesn't negate the fact, when asked if Rush had ever called someone a whore, the answer is yes.

Overall, shock-jock radio is shock-jock radio, whether it chooses to fly the banner of the Right or the Left. Twisting facts, shallow news coverage, demonizing opponents, liberal (meaning a lot, not the political left) use of vitriol, the whole nine yards. I've heard Rush and Hannity preaching, and while I haven't listened to Air America, I'm sure it's the same.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it does change it because it is factually true. You can say anything you want to, as long as you are right. In this case, Rush Limbough was right.

Calling Hillary Clinton a "WHORE" is not a factual statement (opinions may vary on that, but it isnt proven)

BUT

I get your point. I dont listen to Rush Limbough, so i dont have a dog in this fight, but it seems a little funny that the claim is "the conservatives started being mean, so it's ok that liberals did it too"

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
it does change it because it is factually true. You can say anything you want to, as long as you are right. In this case, Rush Limbough was right.

Calling Hillary Clinton a "WHORE" is not a factual statement (opinions may vary on that, but it isnt proven)

Well, I'll leave whether it was true alone, since I'm not familiar with the woman or situation that Limbaugh was referring to. Regardless, calling someone a whore is calling someone a whore, especially in regards to a vitriolic shock-jock. Accuracy doesn't mitigate disrespect or innappropriateness.

BUT

I get your point. I dont listen to Rush Limbough, so i dont have a dog in this fight, but it seems a little funny that the claim is "the conservatives started being mean, so it's ok that liberals did it too"

*shrugs* My only point was that there's not really any qualitative distinction between conservative shock-jocks and liberal shock-jocks; neither are more legitimate or right. I don't think they really deserve a place on public radio, however I'm a free speech advocate, so...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So you would call a retarded person a "retard" then? Because it follows the same logic? Being a prostitute and being called a "ho" are ... not quite the same things really.

BUT

It's not the argument, but it *is* an interesting factoid that the conservatives make a living off of it while liberals get fired over it. Double standard much?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1. suspended doesnt equaled fired
2. are you suggesting an un-even standard? It seems that way but i dont want to assume.

i will say tho, that if there is some un-even standard, Air America wouldnt even be on the air. Thier entire platform since launch as been things just as bad as calling Hillary a whore. The only new thing is that this time, the target isnt a conservative.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... --- ...

Given that I've just watched "Stalingrad" and am thus in a somewhat heightened emotional state, I hope you'll forgive me if I make this observation that all this fails to strike me as particularly significant.

If this bollocks is what your political system is truly based on then may the Mythical Sky God help you all.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I listen to Randy Rhodes and she needs to shut her yap about Hillary. I feel she pushes her love for Obama on the public and that Air America is perfectly within its rights to suspend her.
Sean

Well yah, Ms. Rhodes is under contract and if the reason of her suspension follows the contract then of course Air America is within its legal rights.

However, I think the situation smells worse than my kitty Franklin's catbox.

Ms. Rhodes was NOT on the air when she called Sen. Clinton an F-bombing whore. She made the comments at a live event.

Having been in broadcasting...you don't drop the F-bomb on the air. No how, no way. And had she done so, regardless of the context, I would be in full support of her being suspended or canned.

However...Ms. Rhodes was NOT on the air when she said what she said about Sen. Clinton and former-veep-candidate Ferraro...she made the comments at a live event. Personally, I find removing an opinionated air presenter from her position strictly for being opinionated when she is off the air to be a bit creepy. If Ms. Rhodes isn't making her numbers in her timeslot then Air America needs to grow a pair and can her for not bringing the bling. But to weasel around and suspend her for some off-air comments about two Democrats? Puh-leeez.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well yah, Ms. Rhodes is under contract and if the reason of her suspension follows the contract then of course Air America is within its legal rights.

Ms. Rhodes was NOT on the air when she called Sen. Clinton an F-bombing whore. She made the comments at a live event.

Having been in broadcasting...you don't drop the F-bomb on the air. No how, no way. And had she done so, regardless of the context, I would be in full support of her being suspended or canned.

However...Ms. Rhodes was NOT on the air when she said what she said about Sen. Clinton and former-veep-candidate Ferraro...she made the comments at a live event. Personally, I find removing an opinionated air presenter from her position strictly for being opinionated when she is off the air to be a bit creepy. If Ms. Rhodes isn't making her numbers in her timeslot then Air America needs to grow a pair and can her for not bringing the bling. But to weasel around and suspend her for some off-air comments about two Democrats? Puh-leeez.
You can't be serious. They are not weaseling around; they are telling her that as long as she is an employee of their's she will toe their line. She is probably the reason they are still on the air; so, firing her would be counter productive. All they are doing is jerking back on the leash. She was out of line, they did something about it. Where ever she goes she represents them weather anybody realizes it or not.
Sean

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If this bollocks is what your political system is truly based on then may the Mythical Sky God help you all.

Sadly, this is only a small sampling of the idiocy that is the American political system. Aristotle was right, Democracy is evil.

Long Live the Polity!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I still want someone to explain this crap about Romney's followers and mass murder.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly, this is only a small sampling of the idiocy that is the American political system. Aristotle was right, Democracy is evil.

Long Live the Polity!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I still want someone to explain this crap about Romney's followers and mass murder.
The man made his dog ride on the roof of his car! thats all I know. LOL
Sean

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, well, unfortunately, in this country it could be argued that the two are little different.:(

If more people vote for 'american idol' then president, and more people will vote with there favorite actor then from research, then I would say otherwise. I would say that our government is based on our entertainment industry.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see your point about her being "off the clock" when she made the remarks, however, everything you do or say can reflect on where you work, so, their decision to suspend her for her remarks is valid. Had they suspended her for her previous idiocies, that would make this a little less onerous.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score

I had assumed it had been bleeped out or something. the FCC would have a field day with her otherwise...

That is a bit creepy. She has said much worse things on the air it seems, so why can her for this?

Latest Discussions