Brown Belt
Reaction score

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first thing that strikes me very markedly is that all the cited people have the same surname, which could explain the odd escalation.

I can't answer your first question, mainly because I have ever been advised that, much as you might wish to, coming to the aid of an embattled police officer could be very easily misinterpreted, making a bad situation even worse.

As to the second one, it is largely about an increasing sense of alienation and oppression amongst many of the less well off in society. When respect for law and order is eroded by a lack of a perception of 'inclusion' in society then law and order requires greater and greater use of actual force to enforce.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Could be a lot of causes of their behavior. Might be the they way they were brought up. Might be the they way we let people get away with bad behavior.

If I was the tow truck driver I would have used all my experience, and vigor, to thwart the attack against the officer. I would have thwarted the crap out of those two PigDogs.

OP
MaxiMe

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The first thing that strikes me very markedly is that all the cited people have the same surname, which could explain the odd escalation.
I noticed that as well. My first thought was gang or drug related. Nothing mentioned in the artice about that. But it is a growing problem in this area.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm...okay, I'll be the one...what is their citizenship status, mainly because they have no liscence to be driving, and it didn't say suspended or revoked or did I miss that in the article...?

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everybody that showed up to obstruct this officers stop should have been arrested. I will lock up any driver I catch calling people to the location of my stop with obstruction. This is how officers get shot.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hope this idiot gets a nice long sentence, what an idiot, calling for help against an arresting officer. I hope the idiots responding to the call also get nice long sentences as well. Like you said Archangel M. this is how people get killed. over a traffic fine. Unbelievable, but really, not so unbelievable after all.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow. I live in a city of similar size and characteristics.

Every year my city's PD runs a survey in the local paper to get feedback from the citizenry as to their opinions of the department, etc. They publish the results. I was happy to see the feedback. If I recall, the officers and department as a whole got "Good" or "Very Good" remarks by at least 75% of the respondents on all of the questions. The dispatchers got the highest remarks of all. I think these are good marks, and I think its a sign that the department is interacting well with the city as a whole.

This is not a city with a lot of crime, or an aggressive police presence. You hardly ever get a parking ticket here. When I get on the highway to drive down to Massachusetts to get to my job, I pass by a city cruiser in his usual speed trap near the state line. Only....he's not on the southbound side targeting the residents as they leave for work in the Boston 'burbs, he's on the northbound side targeting the Mass. drivers coming up in to the state. :lfao:

Even so, there are people here that downright despise the police. A solid chunk of them of them are hardline libertarian minded folk that tape record or do impromptu podcasts of their encounters with the police and try their damnedest to make their point and make the police look as bad as possible. I really hope I never see the day where these sorts of antics result in a similar situation, where instead of a family of Martinez's, the respondents are the local hardliners messaged on their smartphones that want to take their digs at the officers. I don't think that would be good for the police, the community, or the libertarians and their point of view...but I have a terrible feeling that such a thing is possible.

Latest Discussions