serious help needed.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Try to get to a point where your 'rest' is when you're on the run meaning running... Let the corps show you how to shoot you will be dealing with different weapons that have different trigger pressures and different types of recoil. Work on your rotc sure but be very open to instruction when it comes about.

Oh, of course. I'm just looking for somthing to help me with my target shooting while I wait. I know a guy who set a couple state records, qualified expert with the NRA. He's a marksman with the Guard now.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also you might pick up a vhs on marine corp rifle drills to get a jump start. Lots of third world countries train their troops with wooden rifles or even sticks before the real thing. Learning to manipulate your weapon off range will also be an important part of your units presentation.

We have a drill team. Most of the members are trying to draft me onto the team. Problem is they do STEPPING, and their stepping conflicts massively with my Karate stepping. So, I cann't go to any compitions, so they now(having realised this) dont anything to do with me. Which would be the easiest way to work on that.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The last thing you want to try to do is learn "a little shooting." The USMC will teach you to shoot; they've mastered teaching people to be expert rifle marksmen in short order. The hardest person to teach shooting is someone who "can already shoot." They have so many undesired and unproductive habits that have to be overcome that many firearms instructors hate working with them...

For now, I'd concentrate on PT instead of worrying about shooting. And have fun with the Raider Team.

I know, I'm getting that as my general impression. I'm thinking of getting some instruction from guys who are already in the military and qualifed expert or marksman. Like I said, I still need to work on it for Raider team.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, I'm getting that as my general impression. I'm thinking of getting some instruction from guys who are already in the military and qualifed expert or marksman. Like I said, I still need to work on it for Raider team.
You're only getting half the message...

I'm a fair pistol shot; I typically qualify expert, with scores that are above 240 on a 50 round/250 point course of fire. And I can coach another shooter a little bit; we can work together and make each other a bit better. But I'm not a shooting instructor.

If you really want to learn to shoot -- contact the NRA. At least they have a solid program that won't teach you bad habits, and they have actual instructors.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're only getting half the message...

I'm a fair pistol shot; I typically qualify expert, with scores that are above 240 on a 50 round/250 point course of fire. And I can coach another shooter a little bit; we can work together and make each other a bit better. But I'm not a shooting instructor.

If you really want to learn to shoot -- contact the NRA. At least they have a solid program that won't teach you bad habits, and they have actual instructors.

I'm not talking about drafting one of you guys into this. I meant getting my JROTC instructors to. They both qualify expert consistently. And they don't use the NRA stance and such, they use the old-school military taught stance.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked this up on the new posts because I like the original poster lol! I know very little about shooting but I do know a lot about the military. One of the places I work at is the Infantry Training Centre which trains recruits to go into the Paras and the Infantry regiments, I have also had a lot to do with the Royal Marines, SBS and SAS though not operationally.

I reiterate the previous advice of getting your fitness sorted first.Stamina is everything, they don't want hares they want tortoises albeit a bit faster ( well you know what I mean lol) One problem recruits here have is that they've never worn boots only training shoes. Carrying heavy bergens tends to knacker them too. Learning to shoot is the least of their problems as I know that they, like the instructors already mentioned, prefer to teach total beginners. The Paras also have 'milling' where they have to put big boxing gloves on and spar with each other. The standard is low, I can easily beat most of the lads but that's not what is looked for, it's about aggression and not backing down.

I had to laugh at the description of the drill team, my other half did a tour in the Queen's Colour Squadron of the Royal Air Force Regiment ( RAF Regt also known as Rockapes - try googling that lot) and were at a big Tattoo doing a display where there was an American Drill Squad too, we had to laugh bless them, they had plastic weapons to throw around and patent leather boots instead of the SLR's and bulled boots of our lot!

http://www.rafregt.com/qcs.htm

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm getting that as my impression, and thanks! I like you too!
And my impression of the drill done by the service, that you saw, is about getting recruits. Like having a thousand trouphies set up around a Dojo to impression little kids and their folks. Most U.S. soldiers don't really know any drill. My JROTC instructor said he had to spend days going through the drill and ceremony manuel because he knew NONE of the drill he had to teach the drill teams. Drill focus = minimal. From my understanding.

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to find you a Marine or two to talk to! Every Marine is a drill master. expert rifleman, lean, mean fighting machine out of boot camp!!!!!!!!!!! Really shooting and being in good shape go hand in hand. You have to be able to get and hold the positions. You also need to have what Tez3 was talking about!!!!!! If you are going to boot camp soon you need to get ready for the whole deal not just the shooting part!!!!

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dont worry, I got over a year to go. I could (legaly) sign up and go to boot camp now, but I dont think that is such a good idea. Meaning, my mom wont let me.
I was thinking of getting some Army guys I know to help me out with this. I dont know any Marines.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting some Army guys I know to help me out with this. I dont know any Marines.

Okay, now you're just baiting us. ;) Seriously, though - What training have you had as part of your shooting team? Have they discussed breathing, relaxation, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger squeeze? Do you use a sling? Working on any one of these ought to get you up from a 68.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, now you're just baiting us. ;) Seriously, though - What training have you had as part of your shooting team? Have they discussed breathing, relaxation, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger squeeze? Do you use a sling? Working on any one of these ought to get you up from a 68.

He needs to meet a Royal Marine Commando really! > backs away very quietly having started a flame war lol :flame:

http://www.how2become.co.uk/royalmarines.htm?keyword=|googlemarines|royalmarines

Seriously though some good advice on this site that's valid whatever you plan to join. All about being prepared!

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes we have. No slings allowed though. The problem is I CANN'T GET PRACTICE! which sucks. And is my problem.
And how am I baiting you?

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
OK I GOT THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!
Any time you start to tell one service you got to go to members of another service for help you are going to tick off the guys in the first service!!!!!
I was thinking of getting some Army guys I know to help me out with this.

Someone posted about looking up some NRA folks. That would be better then asking the Army for help :angel:. Anyway............... Focus on what you can do now and let the Corps handle the parts you cant do now to when you get there. Your joining the biggest gun club in the world!!!

And Tez3 you can't stir it up between US Marines and Royal Marines that easily!!!!!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK I GOT THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!
Any time you start to tell one service you got to go to members of another service for help you are going to tick off the guys in the first service!!!!!

Yep. It's all in jest, though. We love our Army brothers n sisters. :asian:

Latest Discussions