Self-Taught Martial Artist

Panshumei

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone, who else on here has self-taught themselves all of the skills they know? I know it's not the best and effective way of learning, but I got a lot of knowledge and techniques from just doing so. Anyone else here in my boat?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey everyone, who else on here has self-taught themselves all of the skills they know? I know it's not the best and effective way of learning, but I got a lot of knowledge and techniques from just doing so. Anyone else here in my boat?
Simple question, how do you know that you have" skills" that work ?

It's like learning to play soccer with out a goal keeper,

OP
Panshumei

Panshumei

White Belt
Reaction score
Not 100% sure, but I've been training with my brother every Saturday for the passed 2 months, I follow DVD training on Wing Chun, Shaolin Kung Fu, and Jeet Kune Do. When we train I use some of the skills learned in our sparring sessions, they seem to be pretty effective. Ultimately I know that I won't know the full effectiveness of my skills unless I go up against other fighters, but I have a sparring video I made if you would like to analyze it on YouTube. (Totally Optional)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Simple question, how do you know that you have" skills" that work ?

It's like learning to play soccer with out a goal keeper,
Better analogy is playing without teammates and defenders. Someone could develop very good PK skills without a keeper. Tie a few frisbees to the crossbar and posts (where they’re hanging inside the goal) and try to hit them. Hitting them consistently (with acceptable ball speed) easily translates into PK skills.

I’m on a tangent, but yeah, I agree with what you’re saying.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not 100% sure, but I've been training with my brother every Saturday for the passed 2 months, I follow DVD training on Wing Chun, Shaolin Kung Fu, and Jeet Kune Do. When we train I use some of the skills learned in our sparring sessions, they seem to be pretty effective. Ultimately I know that I won't know the full effectiveness of my skills unless I go up against other fighters, but I have a sparring video I made if you would like to analyze it on YouTube. (Totally Optional)
Link or it never happened
:)

I wouldn’t mind seeing the video. Curiosity question, why don’t you take formal lessons?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A few random thoughts:

- Probably you are not as good/effective as you think. Maybe it’s your brother too weak to challenge you. 2 months is close to nothing.
- You are not training for status or rankings (unless you award yourself), so you genuinely enjoy your training and I appreciate that.
- To keep improving, try to find more partners or a gym (even if going there ocasionally).
- Sparring is great, just play safe.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Better analogy is playing without teammates and defenders. Someone could develop very good PK skills without a keeper. Tie a few frisbees to the crossbar and posts (where they’re hanging inside the goal) and try to hit them. Hitting them consistently (with acceptable ball speed) easily translates into PK skills.

I’m on a tangent, but yeah, I agree with what you’re saying.

Maybe, but if you don't know your shots will beat a keeper, then you don't know they work, like hitting a bag as your only punching practise, you don't know you can hit a target that keeps moving.

As an aside, I used to do something like that, stand 25yards out and aim for the cross bar, then my dog would bring the ball back and is try again, the problem was when I did it for real, I kept hitting the cross bar

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
- Not self-taught, but I tried to apply what I found online (in the early days of internet, far before youtube!!) in my regular training.
- There are nice content online that most of schools neglect. We can actually learn some bits alone.
- I have been self training. But of course, on our own we can only do so much.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can reach yourself fighting " skill s" of that there is no doubt, I doubt you can reach yourself wing chUn or any other art.

There nearly always some cooperation from a partner, Even if it's unconscious, they stand still whilst you perform at the very least,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
- Not self-taught, but I tried to apply what I found online (in the early days of internet, far before youtube!!) in my regular training.
- There are nice resources online that most of schools neglect. We can actually learn some bits alone.
- I have been self training. But of course, on our own we can only do so much.
Didn't I see a vid of you fighting trees?

OP
Panshumei

Panshumei

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, the training started while the age of 15, I'm 27 now, but I haven't been doing it consistently over the past years... life stuff. But now that I'm getting back into it, (3months ago) I'm taking it a lot more serious. I haven't enrolled in a school due to finances, but I don't let it stop me from learning the art mentally and training myself physically. I know it's a long shot away from being "skilled", but it's definitely s right step in the right direction. I have 2 links I'm going to post, both are from sparing sessions with my bro. I'm the one with the longer hair. Feedback is definitely encouraged. Thanks for helping guys
(
)
(
)

OP
Panshumei

Panshumei

White Belt
Reaction score
Didn't I see a vid of you fighting trees?
We used to train with trees to for bone density training. It helps to withstand pain while striking sometime.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is possible. But if you did, I am surprised because they are not listed. Actually, I need to log on to find them myself!
It was in the members in motion section, it was quite a thin tree, are you working you way up to heavy weight trees

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
the clip was better than i thought it would be. as a side note im not a big fan of the stop action stuff with the "hit cam" message, replays and cut edits. that might be ok for YouTube viewers but as another martial artist for me to really evaluate i would like to see a continuous stream of action.
i could tell right away you have been watching Bruce Lee stuff by the little iconic shuffle steps you were doing.
you were also using a very low lead hand guard, where your hand was hanging around your stomach. from what i saw, this is not working well for you. Bruce Lee did it but he had incredible hand speed. he had his reasons for using it, but like i said its not working for you. it wasnt effective both as offense and defense.
Your sparring is also following a pattern similar to playing "tag" you hit only once. i would start working on some better boxing skills and work on combinations. this is not easy, i understand. to apply the combination you have to be willing to take a hit in return of striking with your own better hit, or you need to learn body, foot and head movement that boxing can also give you. you are evading but when you evade your putting yourself out of range for your counter. you need to evade while still staying in the "pocket" so you can hit.
i didnt see any real kicking. that may be due to the environment and wearing shoes or you have not integrated the hands and kicks enough to use them. either way a lot of the time you were in perfect range for kicks. you should learn that distance and fire those kicks or stay out of that range because if someone had better kicking skills they would have an easy time with you..

looks good so far keep up the good work and get some real lessons as soon as you can.

OP
Panshumei

Panshumei

White Belt
Reaction score
the clip was better than i thought it would be. as a side note im not a big fan of the stop action stuff with the "hit cam" message, replays and cut edits. that might be ok for YouTube viewers but as another martial artist for me to really evaluate i would like to see a continuous stream of action.
i could tell right away you have been watching Bruce Lee stuff by the little iconic shuffle steps you were doing.
you were also using a very low lead hand guard, where your hand was hanging around your stomach. from what i saw, this is not working well for you. Bruce Lee did it but he had incredible hand speed. he had his reasons for using it, but like i said its not working for you. it wasnt effective both as offense and defense.
Your sparring is also following a pattern similar to playing "tag" you hit only once. i would start working on some better boxing skills and work on combinations. this is not easy, i understand. to apply the combination you have to be willing to take a hit in return of striking with your own better hit, or you need to learn body, foot and head movement that boxing can also give you. you are evading but when you evade your putting yourself out of range for your counter. you need to evade while still staying in the "pocket" so you can hit.
i didnt see any real kicking. that may be due to the environment and wearing shoes or you have not integrated the hands and kicks enough to use them. either way a lot of the time you were in perfect range for kicks. you should learn that distance and fire those kicks or stay out of that range because if someone had better kicking skills they would have an easy time with you..

looks good so far keep up the good work and get some real lessons as soon as you can.
This is by far the best advice I've ever received, I will definitely take this into consideration. Your analysis is very well appreciated.

Latest Discussions