Self-Taught Martial Artist

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe, but if you don't know your shots will beat a keeper, then you don't know they work, like hitting a bag as your only punching practise, you don't know you can hit a target that keeps moving.

As an aside, I used to do something like that, stand 25yards out and aim for the cross bar, then my dog would bring the ball back and is try again, the problem was when I did it for real, I kept hitting the cross bar

You reminded me of a game when I was working with a soccer team...

We were tied in the 1st overtime period. We got 4 direct kicks from about 1 yard outside the box, in the same spot every time somehow. The guy taking the shot went about 6 inches over the crossbar every time. Same exact spot too.

In between the 1st and 2nd OT, the guy says he’s trying NOT to hit the crossbar, so the coach told him to aim for the crossbar. About 2 minutes into the next OT, same direct kick from the same spot. He aimed for the crossbar. Goal. Game over. One of the most ridiculous things I’ve seen in the game. And I’ve seen quite a bit of ridiculousness.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is by far the best advice I've ever received, I will definitely take this into consideration. Your analysis is very well appreciated.
I agree with everything Hoshin said. IMO he’s right on the money. Especially the hands. The white shirt guy’s hand position than I’m assuming yours. The hand on the stomach is doing nothing for you at all. It’s making throwing a punch with it far slower too. Keep them both up at head height, elbows close (but not too close) to your ribs. The other guy’s was pretty good, but his fists should’ve been out a little further.

In addition to what Hoshin said...

1. The biggest thing I saw was your posture. When you’re (both of you) not engaged, your posture’s dine. Once you throw anything or defend anything, you’re both turning too far, bending over too far, and/or going into a fetal position of sorts. Stay upright!!! Not doing so is a great way to get hit with a clean, easy, and hard shot to the head. Turning away and/or down like that is probably the worst thing you can do; you’re giving up way too many targets. If you can only change one thing, this is probably it.

2. Every time either of you punch or kick, you’re dropping your hands, leaving yourselves wide open. Neither of you counter well enough to exploit this, but a better fighter will easily take advantage of that. They’ll wait until you start your punch, then go in with a fast straight punch to an easy target.

3. Your range is too far away. If you’re going to fight at this range, you’ve got to move in and out with your feet. You’re both reaching way to far to hit each other, resulting in far less power and breaking your posture (just like number 1. here). When you’re reaching that far, quite often your body was turned away from your target, opening up targets, and it seemed like you couldn’t even see what you were hitting.

As Hoshin said, it was better than I thought it would be. You seem like good athletes, which is what helped you all more than MA skill IMO.

Please keep at it. You’ve got potential. A teacher will help you live up to that potential far more. And if you’ve posted it on YouTube, ignore the idiots.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The old saying goes iron sharpens iron. Training with your brother is good but unless he's an expert black belt you won't be getting that much out of it simply because he's not that good either.

My advice to anyone who can't train at a school is to focus on physical fitness and strength that way you can build up your body to be in good condition so if you do ever start training you have that edge