Self-Defense for the Visually Impaired

Justin Chang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been asked to teach a Self-Defense course to a group of 20 or so visually impaired adults. Anyone have experience teaching blind or visually impaired individuals with any suggestions, drills, or tips? Most of the course will be the same as every other Self-Defense course I've taught with some minor changes but any other people's perspectives is greatly appreciated.

-Thanks Justin

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been asked to teach a Self-Defense course to a group of 20 or so visually impaired adults. Anyone have experience teaching blind or visually impaired individuals with any suggestions, drills, or tips? Most of the course will be the same as every other Self-Defense course I've taught with some minor changes but any other people's perspectives is greatly appreciated.

-Thanks Justin
tell them to hit him with their white stick ?

it rather depends what " visually impaired'" means, how impaired exactly, I'm blind as a bat with out my glasses, that impatpred or can't see a dam thing impaired, in which case, any SD defences, from awareness, to running , to knocking them on th e noise are going to be some what limited and blind wresseling is all your left with,,,, you should tell them to get a pitbull guide dog or at least a very big mate

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score

-Thanks Justin
Justin,
I have been teaching and practicing American Kenpo for 50 years and still going strong. I have had to use my skill against jerks about 7 times. It usually took one move and it was over.
I studied up to black belt in Tracy kenpo under Tracy himself. I then studied American Kenpo up to black. I also threw in a couple of classes in Aikido.
That said, I would make sure that besides all the striking and kicking, that you teach him a fair amount of joint locks. Many times when a guy knows that you have a disability, they will grab you and joint locks do work when done properly. Other than that, teach striking and kick.
You might throw in a couple or four, ground techs. Not to fight on the ground, that would be foolish, but to teach how to get up and off the ground to stranding again.
Sifu
Puyalllup, WA

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score

-Thanks Justin
Um do you have experience doing that...if not idk how you’d teach them

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score

-Thanks Justin m

-Thanks Justin
I like to teach Chinese sau blind folded so I would definitely include sensitivity/energy drills if I had visually impaired students.

Latest Discussions