Self-Defense for the Visually Impaired

Justin Chang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been asked to teach a Self-Defense course to a group of 20 or so visually impaired adults. Anyone have experience teaching blind or visually impaired individuals with any suggestions, drills, or tips? Most of the course will be the same as every other Self-Defense course I've taught with some minor changes but any other people's perspectives is greatly appreciated.

-Thanks Justin

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of the course will be the same as every other Self-Defense course I've taught with some minor changes
that could be a problem but i dont know what you already teach. quite honestly they might be better off with BJJ since its all tactile based.

OP
Justin Chang

Justin Chang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
that could be a problem but i dont know what you already teach. quite honestly they might be better off with BJJ since its all tactile based.

I understand the reasoning for choosing BJJ techniques as they would maintain in contact with their attacker but I don't think it would be a good idea for someone visually impaired to go down on the ground in a defense situation unless they absolutely have too, especially if there is the possibility of multiple attackers.

OP
Justin Chang

Justin Chang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Currently I teach awareness and avoidance skills, conflict de-escalation, stances movement and blocking, striking and target acquisition, weapon use/defense/disarms and retention, ground work, and escape techniques.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand the reasoning for choosing BJJ techniques as they would maintain in contact with their attacker but I don't think it would be a good idea for someone visually impaired to go down on the ground in a defense situation unless they absolutely have too, especially if there is the possibility of multiple attackers.
lets not get all hollywood here. if your attacked by multiple attackers your screwed never mind if your blind as well. running away doesnt seem to be a very viable option here so it would be best to control the attacker while minamizing damage and wait for help.

OP
Justin Chang

Justin Chang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
lets not get all hollywood here. if your attacked by multiple attackers your screwed never mind if your blind as well. running away doesnt seem to be a very viable option here so it would be best to control the attacker while minamizing damage and wait for help.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean you need to go to the ground. Just like it isn't Hollywood it also isn't UFC. You can disable a person without having to hold them on the ground until the police arrive.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, the ground makes more sense for them than for most folks. They can't reasonably defend against multiple attackers, because they can't effectively use furniture and the other attackers. They have to focus on one at a time. And most attacks/fights (not all, but most) will not involve a group attack. BJJ gives them the advantage of not having to worry about tripping over something during the altercation. Grappling, in general will have to be their primary answer (given the limitations of their targeting), and getting the advantages inherent in groundwork makes a lot of sense if you're working without sight or with very limited vision, unless you're in very familiar surroundings.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If these people are visually impaired, they may be carrying some kind of cane with them. I would take advantage of that weapon and teach a few Jo and or Hanbo techniques.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well yes, m y mate got attacked by a blind man onc e, and the blind guy was doing well at the blind wresseling till I joined in, , but that's ALL you have, so its either that or let themselves get beaten up

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, the ground makes more sense for them than for most folks. They can't reasonably defend against multiple attackers, because they can't effectively use furniture and the other attackers. They have to focus on one at a time. And most attacks/fights (not all, but most) will not involve a group attack. BJJ gives them the advantage of not having to worry about tripping over something during the altercation. Grappling, in general will have to be their primary answer (given the limitations of their targeting), and getting the advantages inherent in groundwork makes a lot of sense if you're working without sight or with very limited vision, unless you're in very familiar surroundings.

Agreed

It make more sense to teach techs that involve contact as that should be easier (not the right word) for a person with limited vision or none to absorb, I am saying that as their other senses may be more "tuned in" (again may be not the correct word).

It could also be that you may have to actually tailor a program more acutely to those who have some sight to those who unfortunately have none.

Sorry this might seem very obtuse, Find out what experience if any the folks have ie if the person has lost their sight or had it impaired and before said they say had some form of training then utilize that and build on that.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not all "grappling" is done from your back on the ground. Some of it actually happens when standing.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The issue with teaching BJJ would be if the instructor himself doesn't know BJJ. He can only teach what he knows. Or recommend a different instructor who is better at grappling.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been asked to teach a Self-Defense course to a group of 20 or so visually impaired adults. Anyone have experience teaching blind or visually impaired individuals with any suggestions, drills, or tips? Most of the course will be the same as every other Self-Defense course I've taught with some minor changes but any other people's perspectives is greatly appreciated.

-Thanks Justin
The best advise I can think of is to teach all the verbal and common sense defense standards. I would not recommend teaching anything that puts them in contact with an attacker so a lot is off the table. Maybe ask them how they use their other senses on a daily basis and try to glean something from that?
My second advise would be have a lot of liability release forms on hand.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awareness, avoidance skills, conflict de-escalation are all very important skills.
Visually impaired/blind persons need a tactile reference to know where they are in relation to an opponent.
I presently have 2 blind persons and another who is legally blind but can see movements. We do a lot of wing chun tactile drills, standing grappling, and ground work with them.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I cannot agree with grappling being the preferred SD method. This assumes they are not knocked out by the first/sucker punch. Avoidance has to be their first line of defense. I know it isn't PC but they are exceptionally handicapped in a one on one SD scenario so the probability of an attack has to be absolutely minimized.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I cannot agree with grappling being the preferred SD method. This assumes they are not knocked out by the first/sucker punch. Avoidance has to be their first line of defense. I know it isn't PC but they are exceptionally handicapped in a one on one SD scenario so the probability of an attack has to be absolutely minimized.
I believe he was referencing bjj vs trying to stand and fight if it got to the point of physically defending ones self.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe he was referencing bjj vs trying to stand and fight if it got to the point of physically defending ones self.
Either way, I don't see how the risk isn't too great for a bad outcome before getting their hands on the attacker. I commend you for working with the seeing impaired.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The issue with teaching BJJ would be if the instructor himself doesn't know BJJ. He can only teach what he knows. Or recommend a different instructor who is better at grappling.
Agreed. If I was asked, I'd have to give serious thought to whether I have sufficient curriculum to offer that works (I probably do). If not, I'd reach out to someone who has a better-fitted repertoire.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best advise I can think of is to teach all the verbal and common sense defense standards. I would not recommend teaching anything that puts them in contact with an attacker so a lot is off the table. Maybe ask them how they use their other senses on a daily basis and try to glean something from that?
My second advise would be have a lot of liability release forms on hand.
Which brings up another point for the OP: you'll need some way for them to use your waiver forms and such. Be sure to cover that topic with your contact fairly early. If most of them read braille, you'll need someone to transcribe them for you. If some can read with magnification, you may need large-print copies for them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awareness, avoidance skills, conflict de-escalation are all very important skills.
Visually impaired/blind persons need a tactile reference to know where they are in relation to an opponent.
I presently have 2 blind persons and another who is legally blind but can see movements. We do a lot of wing chun tactile drills, standing grappling, and ground work with them.
I thought I remembered someone having experience with teaching visually impaired and blind, but couldn't remember who. The WC drills - are those the connectivity drills (my term, probably not correct) that work on keeping a connection to feel the next intention?

Latest Discussions