searching for martial art inspiration for art

G

Gavin

I am a martial artist, but I am also an artist, in the Fine Art sense. I have to fill a room with something for an art exhibition. It can be filled with anything, for people to come and look at? got any ideas? It's really important, i'm stressing about it. In other words, if you had the use of an empty room, what would u do or put in it?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Southern Crane said:
I am a martial artist, but I am also an artist, in the Fine Art sense. I have to fill a room with something for an art exhibition. It can be filled with anything, for people to come and look at? got any ideas? It's really important, i'm stressing about it. In other words, if you had the use of an empty room, what would u do or put in it?
Martial arts related? Is it geared only to Northern Systems only or are you more flexible with displaying general martial arts related items?

Ummm, Kanji and certain animal pictures (commonly used as symbols in many martial arts) could be put up on a wall. If you have money or already have these, perhaps various martial arts weapons on display to show how much of a diversity? Show different uniforms/armors used by Northern styles?

You could fill a room with martial arts related stuff very easily, but the question would be how artistically could it be done...

- Ceicei

OP
G

Gavin

Not sure, i'm open to anything, what do u reckon?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just curious.... How much time do you have before you need to set that up? What is your budget for that project? I do have several ideas.

OP
G

Gavin

ceicei, sorry for the late reply. Am i too late? the budget is not limitness, but their are ways to get round it. What are ur ideas?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello Gavin,

Hope things are well for you. Some possible suggestions:

1) Display different martial arts uniforms.
2) Display various martial arts weapons, where they originate, their history, and perhaps a tape or live demonstration of how these weapons are used.
3) Various pictures, past and present, of martial artists in combat (I've seen some old paintings/photographs that were awesome! Some could be located on the internet.)
4) Sword displays - there are a lot of different swords used in martial arts.
5) Video clips of different martial arts/styles, showing how much of a diversity there are in the world.
6) Ask kids to make/draw what they think martial arts is about. They can use paper, clay, cloth, plastic, wire, etc., whatever they can use to be creative and display their creations. You'll be surprised what they come up with and how they view martial arts. Its best to ask the kids who are actually students of martial arts.

There are more suggestions, but these are just to start and maybe you might be able to come up with some of your own ideas.

Good luck.

- Ceicei

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The spare room I have in my house I use to practice. But that is just me. Although, now that I think about it I do have the word for 'peace' in japanese on the south wall (which is the front of the room). Also trieing to get a picture of O'Sensei and one of the Coung Nhu flags. Yah, we as a stlye, have a flag. Cool huh? and i have in Gallic the phrase "never give a man a sword untill he knows how to dance" on the west wall. all my certificates of rank are in picture frames on the east wall.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

Latest Discussions