Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I did enjoy the fresh apples when I was there.
Iā€™m curious what sorts of fruit are grown in the UK. Does the UK have any robust agriculture or is it dependent on importing from the mainland?

On the apple front, itā€™s a favorable climate, so youā€™ll see trees that produce apples not commonly sold in stores. I have a gravenstein and a honey crisp in my backyard.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Iā€™m curious what sorts of fruit are grown in the UK. Does the UK have any robust agriculture or is it dependent on importing from the mainland?

On the apple front, itā€™s a favorable climate, so youā€™ll see trees that produce apples not commonly sold in stores. I have a gravenstein and a honey crisp in my backyard.
the UK has a robust production market in some things, in others they depend on imports. A couple of years ago they had a drastic shortage of tomatoes. The climate is still favorable for most common fruit trees (whereas in my area it can get to hot for some, and not warm enough for others yet)
Disclaimer: All my UK gardening knowledge is derived from watching Garderners World on Britbox. Go Monty Don!

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, theyā€™re overrated.

Again, overrated. Mildly sweet, no citrusy overtones.

Nothing comes close to the delightful taste of oranges and pineapples!
I heard that opinion before. Watched a peeling video. Remarkably easier than I thought, but yeah. It sure is pretty but the taste was just okay.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You have great blueberries, too.
True. I have 6 very productive blueberry bushes, too. A great climate for them. I make a pretty good lemon blueberry cake, and like to put fresh blueberries and strawberries on my blotkake for syttende maiā€¦ which is tomorrow!! Sadly, Iā€™ll be on a plane this year, so wonā€™t even be able to out out my Norwegian flag. šŸ‡³šŸ‡“

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
In Beijing, in the hotel with a bit of jetlag, took almost a week for it to catch up to me, found i have free wifi and that MT is not censored like Google, Yahoo, and YouTube.

So hello MT from Beijing.
Iā€™ve been to a couple temples, the great wall at Mutainyu and Tiantan park (Temple of Heaven). Last time i was here was 18 years ago and Tiantan was free to get in. Now they charge. But i still got in for free, because here in Beijing i am a geezer. I got the senior discount, and for Tiantan, that means free.

But sadly, Tiantan now charging ticket fees has cut down considerably on the possibility of finding a bunch of martial artist there doung there thing. Didnā€™t even see any taijiquan, and i was there early.

Will be going to the summer palace and the Forbidden City before i return to the USA.

Also it is hot here, been in the upper 80s to upper 90s.

However i find i am still more comfortable and relaxed here thsn i am in any other city. Heard Mrs Xue ( who is a Beijingren) telling our youngest today, while at Tiantanā€¦ ā€œIā€™m pretty sure daddy was Chinese in a few previous lives, heā€™s to at ease here for a foreignerā€

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Beijing, in the hotel with a bit of jetlag, took almost a week for it to catch up to me, found i have free wifi and that MT is not censored like Google, Yahoo, and YouTube.

So hello MT from Beijing.
Iā€™ve been to a couple temples, the great wall at Mutainyu and Tiantan park (Temple of Heaven). Last time i was here was 18 years ago and Tiantan was free to get in. Now they charge. But i still got in for free, because here in Beijing i am a geezer. I got the senior discount, and for Tiantan, that means free.

But sadly, Tiantan now charging ticket fees has cut down considerably on the possibility of finding a bunch of martial artist there doung there thing. Didnā€™t even see any taijiquan, and i was there early.

Will be going to the summer palace and the Forbidden City before i return to the USA.

Also it is hot here, been in the upper 80s to upper 90s.

However i find i am still more comfortable and relaxed here thsn i am in any other city. Heard Mrs Xue ( who is a Beijingren) telling our youngest today, while at Tiantanā€¦ ā€œIā€™m pretty sure daddy was Chinese in a few previous lives, heā€™s to at ease here for a foreignerā€
Iā€™m green with envy my friend!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
True. I have 6 very productive blueberry bushes, too. A great climate for them. I make a pretty good lemon blueberry cake, and like to put fresh blueberries and strawberries on my blotkake for syttende maiā€¦ which is tomorrow!! Sadly, Iā€™ll be on a plane this year, so wonā€™t even be able to out out my Norwegian flag. šŸ‡³šŸ‡“
Iā€™m a blue berry grower rather than a blueberry show er as well. ;)

Latest Discussions