Seabrook's Got Sparring!!!!

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
this is not a comment on the clip but as question that has been in me for a while....where is the kempo/kenpo in sparring?

Respectfully,
Marlon

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sad fact is that many tournaments do point sparring that has a ruleset that so severly limits the moves that can be used, that the end result resembles nothing of the art itself.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sad fact is that many tournaments do point sparring that has a ruleset that so severly limits the moves that can be used, that the end result resembles nothing of the art itself.

I concur with James. Point sparring is tag-sparring, plain and simple. I point-spar with my advanced students about 3 times per year and only to help them prepare for point-sparring in tournaments. I fight continuous with hard contact at least 2 times per week. But....I wasn't going to make any excuses about not sparring, because those were the rules at the tournament and I feel that a good fighter should be able to adjust to any rules thrown at them.

It cracks me up when I hear Kenpoists say that our art is "too lethal" for the UFC because the UFC has too many rule restrictions. The bottom line is that if you are a Kenpoist that gets KO'd in such an event, you wouldn't have done any better on the street against the SAME OPPONENT.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I concur with James. Point sparring is tag-sparring, plain and simple. I point-spar with my advanced students about 3 times per year and only to help them prepare for point-sparring in tournaments. I fight continuous with hard contact at least 2 times per week. But....I wasn't going to make any excuses about not sparring, because those were the rules at the tournament and I feel that a good fighter should be able to adjust to any rules thrown at them.

It cracks me up when I hear Kenpoists say that our art is "too lethal" for the UFC because the UFC has too many rule restrictions. The bottom line is that if you are a Kenpoist that gets KO'd in such an event, you wouldn't have done any better on the street against the SAME OPPONENT.

Jamie Seabrook

One comment about your point sparring....it is OBVIOUS to the trained eye that you don't points par as much as you do full contact. Your points were decisive and had IMPACT. Something that isn't always prevalent in those that just point spar. Good stuff.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cracks me up when people put down point sparring. I would love to see some of them get in the ring with some of the best fighters and get their butts whooped. :) Point shots still hurt!

OP
Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cracks me up when people put down point sparring. I would love to see some of them get in the ring with some of the best fighters and get their butts whooped. :) Point shots still hurt!

Maybe from THE BEST, but the VAST majority seem to engage in flying backfists and light taps. Sad really...

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe from THE BEST, but the VAST majority seem to engage in flying backfists and light taps. Sad really...

Exactly James!

Yes, I have fought some really good fighters who can both point-spar and fight full-contact, but the vast majority can't.

We spar for about 5 minute matches (often full-contact depending upon rank) at my school and occassionally we get "world champion" point-fighters come in to try it out. Most of them really struggle because they don't put many combinations together and are used to STOPPING EVERY TIME SOMEONE MAKES CONTACT WITH EACH OTHER. That is not a good idea.

But as I stated earlier, a few times per year we will point-spar to get my students prepared for those rules at whichever tournaments they are competing in. That stated, there is a big tournament coming up next year in Canada that has continuous sparring and that allows pretty much full-contact. Can't wait!

Jamie Seabrook

Latest Discussions