Scuba Diving in Maui

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wife and I are heading to Maui in a couple weeks for some scuba diving. I am an experienced/upper level diver, and she is intermediate/upper level diver. We are interested in both hooking up with a dive operation to take us out on their boats, as well as just renting some tanks and weights and diving from shore.

has anybody been diving in Maui, and would you recommend any dive operations in particular? thx.

Michael

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for leaving that out today...I wouldn't have been able to eat any more :D No idea on operators but I do know the gear has to be better over there than Mexico. Recommend bringing your own mask and snorkle thou. No matter where you go they always manage to give me the leaky mask and a snorkle that only helps me drown.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Thanks for leaving that out today...I wouldn't have been able to eat any more :D No idea on operators but I do know the gear has to be better over there than Mexico. Recommend bringing your own mask and snorkle thou. No matter where you go they always manage to give me the leaky mask and a snorkle that only helps me drown.

Yes, bring the gear you can control like snorkel, mask and fins. If you are out deep better to have gear you are used to then someone else's!

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
beau_safken said:

oh, don't worry, we have all our own gear. the only things we will be renting is tanks and weights.

I feel pretty creeped out with rental gear, esp. in a place like Mexico or Belize. Maui would probably be fine, but we always bring our own.

Our regulators are in getting their annual overhaul right this very moment. That's something I'm very careful with.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL good stuff. That damn regulator messed up on me when I was in Mexico. Nothing like finding a pinhole in your main and octopus at 90 feet... Thank god my dad likes to invest in crap as his spare mini tank saved my *** good. I really dont think you would have anything to worry about in Maui...I mean its in the states and the competition out there is fierce.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
LOL good stuff. That damn regulator messed up on me when I was in Mexico. Nothing like finding a pinhole in your main and octopus at 90 feet... Thank god my dad likes to invest in crap as his spare mini tank saved my *** good. I really dont think you would have anything to worry about in Maui...I mean its in the states and the competition out there is fierce.

Geeze man, that is a close call!

Latest Discussions