Schools in RI

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could anyone point me out to a quality school in Providence, RI? One of my wifes students will be going to school there it looks like (Johnson and Wales), and I'm trying to point him in a good direction.

Thanks,

Jeff

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Could anyone point me out to a quality school in Providence, RI? One of my wifes students will be going to school there it looks like (Johnson and Wales), and I'm trying to point him in a good direction.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Congrats to your wife's student!

If they are bringing a car, I would HIGHLY recommened Cromwell Martial Arts in the Hartford, CT area, www.cromwellmartialarts.com, They teach Kempo and Moden Arnis. The owner and senior instructors post here as Stickarts and HKPhooey.

I've trained with Sensei Frank a little in Modern Arnis. Unfortunately my work schedule has kept me from going down there more often but he's worth the 2+ hour drive each way from up here in the northeast corner of Massachusetts....and I say that as someone that hates driving.

Great school, great instruction, and great students. After I come back from class with him I'm so pumped my colleagues ask me if I'm going work remotely to move to CT to train! :D :D

Carol

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Carol. He will have his car with him. About how far of a drive would that be from Providence? I didn't even think about their school, but I'm not that familiar with the New England area.

Jeff

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's 60-90 miles, depending on the route he takes. Via I-95, he would have to go down to the coast and come back up. That's an absolutley gorgeous drive but there are probably alternate routes that are a bit shorter.

Unfortunately they aren't the closest school, but Sensei Frank or someone in southern New England (that knows the area better than me) can probably help him with a route that makes the trip as easy as possible. :)

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's probably going to be a little to far for him to make it his primary school.

But, if we go out to visit him, which Lea wants to do, I'll make a point of heading up that way.

Jeff

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya know, I was originally thinking it was more like 40 minutes away, and my counterpart here told me otherwise...I mapped it out and, he was right, it's further than I thought. If you and Lea come out this way, I'd love a chance to meet you folks if you end up having enough time to say hello :)

Shane (Gixxershane) and Walt (Kroh) both train in Kenpo in Rhode Island. They both post more on KenpoTalk, I know Shane's school is affiliated with Ms. Doreen Cogliandro (who is top-notch), and I think Shane is doing some teaching now himself now that he has his BB.

I haven't had a chance to actually meet them or seen their school so I can't vouch for them as I can Frank, but they may each be worth a PM to ask (if they don't respond to this thread) :)

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Already on it.

Oh, and BTW Matt isn't looking to keep up TKD. As he puts it, he wants to learn everything.

And We'd love the chance to meet you Carol, that would be wayyy kewl.

Jeff

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, that's a big help!

Jeff

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many years ago I briefly played in the Judo club at Brown, and studied at Charles Earle's Uechi-Ryu Karate school too.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
That's probably going to be a little to far for him to make it his primary school.

Jeff

Okay if he is coming to Little Rhody he is going to have to understand three local driving customs, little known to outsiders:

1) If it is more than a fifteen minute drive, it is TOO FAR.

2) The person making the left turn has the right-of-way.:rolleyes:

3) The person entering the roadway and wishing to make a left turn from a parking lot is entitled to enter and stop oncoming driver side traffic, this procedure is known as the "Rhode Island Roadblock". :)

Does the student have any preference or MA background?

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Many years ago I briefly played in the Judo club at Brown, and studied at Charles Earle's Uechi-Ryu Karate school too.

FYI, Charles Earle after YEARS of teaching in downtown Providence passed away earlier this year.

I understand some of Earle's senior students are now opening new dojos in the metro area, the old Weybosset Street dojo is closed.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Senjojutsu said:
FYI, Charles Earle after YEARS of teaching in downtown Providence passed away earlier this year.

I did not know that--thank you for informing me of this.

He had a couple of very good instructors working for him at the time--nearly 20 years ago!--and I hope they have done well for themselves.

1William

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

If you're friend is still looking, have him come down to The Battleground Training Center in East Greenwich. That's about 15 - 20 minutes south of Providence, right off of I-95. We have programs in Boxing, Muay Thai, Submission Grappling, Self-Defense, and Pekiti-Tirsia Kali.

Best regards,
William

www.battlegroundtrainingcenter.net

gixxershane

Green Belt
Reaction score
i train at a Parker Kenpo school that is about 15-20 min north of Providence..

www.designeddefense.com the school is Designed Defense.. I love it there... and as Carol has mentioned our instructor is a student of Mr.Cogliandro, and we test at here school (Revere Karate Academy) for advanced tests.

Tim Burrill (sp) has a bjj school in north providence..

hope this helps

shane

Latest Discussions