Scenario Training

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that it would be interesting to see how many people incorporate scenario training into your current training. This could range from using padded gear such as a redman suit to give a more realistic approach to an attack, working techniques from a seated position, in a car, setting up props to simulate a bar/club or crowded area.

Jim Wagner, one of the big RBSD guys out there talk about this all the time. Do you think that this is an important aspect to include, or is it not worth the time?

Mike

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We train scenarios periodically. I think it has value for the reason it brings to light many variables you may not have considered while training in a more conventional sense (i.e, wearing a comfy gi, good lighting conditions, quiet setting). It is funny how changing things up a bit can really serve to open your eyes as to how different a real life exchange can be from dojo training.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
We train scenarios periodically. I think it has value for the reason it brings to light many variables you may not have considered while training in a more conventional sense (i.e, wearing a comfy gi, good lighting conditions, quiet setting). It is funny how changing things up a bit can really serve to open your eyes as to how different a real life exchange can be from dojo training.

Exactly. Its amazing how a slight change can have a huge impact on our responses. Not only will this type of training improve our overall SD skills, but it will certainly add some change and variety to the constant dojo training.

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No suits, but I do a lot of "You're walking down the street and someone asks you for the time" type of things.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do that from time to time, but I think that it should NOT account for a great deal of the training, I would say 2 or 3 percent of training. The reason I say this is, I think if it is done too often it begins to program the person for action A I need to do action B and so forth. I think more importantly, the scenarios are great to get a feel of a more realtime complex environment and this brings out what you truly absorbed from your training and what you need to work on. So in essence I think it becomes a sort of litmus test of things to be focused on regarding the progress of your training.

Just my opinion.

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We do reaction drills without knowing what attack is coming. It could be a club, knife, front punch, kick etc. On occassion we train in our street clothes and shoes. We have not tried it from a chair but we have disscussed it.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We do scenario training in Jujitsu. The most basic one that I learned is if some smart **** at a party shakes your hand and won't let go (I'm female and the "attacker" is male), I break his thumb (I learned how to do it with one hand or the opposite hand). He lets go. And I continue if needed. I also learned how to use a pencil or keys to do "come-with-me" techniques (joint locks and/or pressure point attacks) and throw him out the door, so to speak hehehehe.

In TKD, we don't do it as often, but enough to know if someone grabs you or something that we know how it feels and what to look for, and react.

In both styles, they say, use what works to get out of that situation alive.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kenpobldr said:
We do reaction drills without knowing what attack is coming. It could be a club, knife, front punch, kick etc. On occassion we train in our street clothes and shoes. We have not tried it from a chair but we have disscussed it.

Working drills that are more spontanious will definately enhance ones training. Training in street clothes and/or outside is a plus too!!

originally posted by karatekid1975

I also learned how to use a pencil or keys to do "come-with-me" techniques (joint locks and/or pressure point attacks)

Keys, pens, pencils, etc. are awesome tools and things that we carry with us on a daily basis. Its amazing how many 'tools' are around us.

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
The most basic one that I learned is if some smart **** at a party shakes your hand and won't let go (I'm female and the "attacker" is male), I break his thumb
Wouldn't that be an over-reaction? At a party, with other people around? That sounds like bad scenario training to me. It's not proportionate and appropriate to the level of threat.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor showed me that in case it was a "pervert" that did the "hand shaking" and wanted to do more than the hand shake, if you get my drift ;) But for the most part, if I knew he was harmless, I would just pull my hand away (if I could) and walk away. It wasn't ment to be an over-reaction, unless it was needed. But yea, I see your point. It COULD be an over-reaction if I reacted when he was just being a smarty pants LOL.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a good technique to know for the situation you describe where it's "more than a handshake" and you need to escape. (It's also good for weapon retention, if I'm thinking of the same technique--say, if someone grabs your stick. We arnisadors think about that a lot!) I was just thinking in the context of "Scenario Training" that it was the right technique done at the wrong time in the party example.

A little jujitsu goes a long way, and can help one adjust the response to the threat very precisely--I like that about it! I use Wally Jay's finger locks all the time in training, and surely would do so in actual application too.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I totally agree, arnisador. The finger locks are so cool. Just a "little" lock would let that idiot let go, and I'd go about my way hehehehehe.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Scenario training has become a vital aspect of our training. If done properly, it adds greatly to the compiled evidence of what works in combat and what does not. It has greatly changed the fabric of what we do. Mr. Wagner has been a great pioneer of this sort of training, along with a few others... :)

Paul

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
We do lots of scenario based training. Never too much in one particular way as that would condition the student to a certain reaction. fortunatly I own a warehouse that we can pull cars into and do all sorts of different things.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bujingodai said:
We do lots of scenario based training. Never too much in one particular way as that would condition the student to a certain reaction. fortunatly I own a warehouse that we can pull cars into and do all sorts of different things.

Sounds pretty cool.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do training like get a guy to call out what's happening and I have to react to it (it's fun, put conditions on it like you hurt your hands and can only kick, or you have to keep hitting one of the guys 20 times) it gets very tiring and is alot more interesting then just shadowboxing.

I also training in movements that most martial artists don't think about. Like getting up from tying your shoes and kicking, or putting obstacles in the way of your target (like put a box on the ground you have to jump over).

Myself and my freestyle instructor do a drill where we close our eyes, and when he says open we have to react to whatever is coming at us. It makes for some interesting and effective self defense techniques.

Latest Discussions