Sayoc Kali Seminar, Bloomington, Indiana May 2004

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
We had a great time.

We had a small number in attendance...but several people came in from Chicago, Louisville, and Anderson, Indiana.

Guro went over non-linear attacks, Sayoc Silak from transition drill one, foot takedowns, Seven Count Passing Drill counters to counters, and a lot more. Every time we get Guro in we have more than enough out of one seminar to work on for at least a YEAR.

Following the seminar attendees and Guro Jeff went out to Janko's Little Zagreb, which is possibly the best steak house in Indiana. I told that to one of the guys from Chicago, and he rolled his eyes. After eating his porterhouse, he agreed it might just be the best steakhouse in the state.

Heads up, Keith Wetoskey is going to host him into Waterloo, Indiana, sometime in November. Date to be set. Hopefully it won't be November 6, as we have one of our girls fighting in Hook and Shoot.

It was a great time...I hope people can make it in next year or catch him up in Waterloo.

Regards,

Steve

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
We had a great time.

We had a small number in attendance...but several people came in from Chicago, Louisville, and Anderson, Indiana.

Guro went over non-linear attacks, Sayoc Silak from transition drill one, foot takedowns, Seven Count Passing Drill counters to counters, and a lot more. Every time we get Guro in we have more than enough out of one seminar to work on for at least a YEAR.
Whet our appetites a bit more... tell us what you have learned, what impressed you, what was new...

- Ceicei

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ceicei, et al

I don't know how familiar you are with Sayoc Kali. Its purely a blade art that focuses on employment of primarily knives.

Rather than using angles of attack with the weapon, Sayoc employs templates...think of them as striking patterns for insertion of the knife. The most commonly used is "3 of 9", a modified six count version of which can be seen in the movie "The Hunted." "3 of 9" is one of 36 basic templates, but it is the one that people seem to train the most. One can get a lot out of just that pattern.

Last weekend we did variations on "3 of 9", using blades in different hands for both feeder and receiver, reversing the grips, and that sort of thing. Sayoc is a "feeder based" art, in that the person delivering the cut is the one getting the primary training...but the receiver (the one receiving the cut) also gets a bunch of technique honed during the practice. That said, its an aggressive art that teaches one very quickly that its good to be the one with the knife.

The non-linear attacks can best be described as indirect attacks. Twelve were taught. An example: Deliver a high forehand thrust and then snake it down into a low backhand thrust to the torso...the receiver tries to check the first strike and opens himself up to the second.

The Silak that was taught off of Transition Drill One consists of empty hand responses to a pattern of strikes. Think of the Transition Drill being a bit like "set sparring" in Gung Fu. In this drill the feeder attacks with a slash (or whatever) and the receiver blocks and does a limb destruction of disarm. We learned a few variations off of those. Example: In the flow the feeder delivers a forehand slash to the neck, the receiver passes the knife to the right with his left hand, grabbing the hand and driving his right elbow into the fist holding the knife, ostensibly breaking it. I like this technique, and can think of variations to it.

The Seven Count Passing Drill is also a set series of strikes, but seems to be more oriented towards the receiver. Think of a series of locks and strips of the blade, all put into a flowing sequence. The counters to the locks are taught, and we got into the counters to the counters of the locks. Good stuff...stimiulating. It develops spontaneous reaction and gets a person thinking.

What else can I tell you? If you need a more specific breakdown, I can go there. No problem.

Regards.

Steve

P.S.

Ceicei, that article I told you about got accepted FINALLY and is in press. I'll let you know when I get a copy.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Ceicei, et al

I don't know how familiar you are with Sayoc Kali. Its purely a blade art that focuses on employment of primarily knives.
I knew it is a knife art, but beyond that, my knowledge is minimal.

hardheadjarhead said:
Rather than using angles of attack with the weapon, Sayoc employs templates...think of them as striking patterns for insertion of the knife. The most commonly used is "3 of 9", a modified six count version of which can be seen in the movie "The Hunted." "3 of 9" is one of 36 basic templates, but it is the one that people seem to train the most. One can get a lot out of just that pattern.

<snip for brevity>

Good stuff...stimiulating. It develops spontaneous reaction and gets a person thinking.
Wow! Looks like you've covered a lot of ground there... That's definitely not a style for the faint of heart. Is there a website that explains more about Sayoc Kali?

hardheadjarhead said:
Ceicei, that article I told you about got accepted FINALLY and is in press. I'll let you know when I get a copy.
That's good news! I'll be waiting....

- Ceicei

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
You'd have had fun, Arnisador...given your FMA background.

I think anybody would have enjoyed it, though. We had a couple of guys there who had never picked up a knife. They did fine. The advanced students were more than ready to help the beginners.

Regards,

Steve

R

Rizaldy

I'm sorry you weren't able to make it to the the Indiana seminar. It was alot of fun.... The guys in Indiana are fantastic hosts. Steve's right....that was the best steak I ever had. I'm still looking for on as comperable here in Chicago. No luck as of yet. Anyways, since you missed this seminar, you have a chance to see guro jeff in chicago. Here's a post of the info...

Hey All,

Guro Jeff Chung will be holding a seminar in the Chicagoland area on June 13th, 2004.

Here's the info:

Sunday, June 13, 2004 -- Lombard, IL

Sayoc Kali Seminar in Lombard, Illinois
Sunday, June 13, 2004
featuring Guro Jeff Chung, Associate L-2 Instructor

Time: 10:00 am to 4:00pm
Cost: $75.00

Seminar will be held at:

Amerisuites Lombard/Chicago
2340 S. Fountain Square Dr.
Lombard, Illinois 60148
Phone: 630-932-6501