Sarah Palin for President?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
From This TIME magazine article :

Governing was no less contentious than campaigning, at least to begin with. Palin ended up dismissing almost all the city department heads who had been loyal to Stein, including a few who had been instrumental in getting her into politics to begin with. Some saw it as a betrayal. Stambaugh, the police chief and a member of Palin's step-aerobics class, filed a lawsuit for wrongful termination, alleging that Palin terminated him in part at the behest of the National Rifle Association, because he had opposed a concealed-gun law that the NRA supported. He eventually lost the suit. The animosity spawned some talk of a recall attempt, but eventually Palin's opponents in the city council opted for a more conciliatory route.
At some point in those fractious first days, Palin told the department heads they needed her permission to talk to reporters. "She put a gag order on those people, something that you'd expect to find in the big city, not here," says Naegele. "She flew in there like a big-city gal, which she's not. It was a strange time, and [the Frontiersman] came out very harshly against her."
Stein says that as mayor, Palin continued to inject religious beliefs into her policy at times. "She asked the library how she could go about banning books," he says, because some voters thought they had inappropriate language in them. "The librarian was aghast." That woman, Mary Ellen Baker, couldn't be reached for comment, but news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire Baker for not giving "full support" to the mayor.

Next up, snippets of Governor Palin's interview for ABC.......(" I have foreign policy experience; I can see Russia from Alaska's islands!" :rolleyes: :lol: )

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

What happened? I'd argue that Palin's considerable novelty is starting to wear off. In part it's the result of a steady stream of unhelpful stories: her unfamiliarity with the Bush Doctrine during last Thursday's interview with Charles Gibson (video above); her refusal to cooperate with the Troopergate investigation; her repeated stretching of the truth on everything from earmarks to the Bridge to Nowhere to the amount of energy her state produces. That stuff has a way of inspiring disapproval and eroding one's support.

Ah yes, she's certainly contradicted herself about the Bridge to Nowhere!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
...and what does it say about the woman that she didn't know what the Bush Doctrine was? It says she hasn't been interested enough in international affairs-not in itself a bad thing for a governor, or even a vice-president (in the sense that the V.P.'s "job is to break ties in the Senate, act as president pro-tem, etc.) but in a potential commander in chief such a lack of knowledge and interest is far more telling than her experience, religious views, views on abortion or gun-control......I actually agree with her on gun-control....today, anyway....

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remain surprised at the level of some of the stories about Sarah Palin.

She fired department heads when she took over a city? Folks, there are at least two types of government workers ( not counting consultants). One are civil service people like me, who got what they have through merit and not by ward heeling. Then there are individuals like these department heads, political appointees. They start at the top and usually lead lives of comparative comfort. They are the grasshoppers, we are the ants and Winter comes with a change in administrations. Why - GASP! - even the Democrats practice this form of replacing the old hacks with one's own guys. Check out the stories coming out of the New York State Fair, where the director - EGADS! - is a Democrat. This is a story worthy of deciding an election on?

We also see that she parted ways with somebody who was in her step aerobics class!!! Next we see that somebody who sued her unsuccessfully still doesn't like her - well, yes.... and there's a surprise there? And they were gonna try to recall her - what weight should we give that?

There are quite a few good reasons to come out and vote Obama/Biden.... but I'm not seeing them here. That's a shame.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...and what does it say about the woman that she didn't know what the Bush Doctrine was?

I'm not even American and I can answer that one...

I'd think it was a bad sign if a Canadian politician didn't know what the Bush Doctrine is, let alone a American one. That should be a big embarrassment.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
....er, I think I've already said that I'm voting for McCain.....

But not Sarah Palin? Yeah, I voted for George Bush the first...and pretended to myself that I wasn't also voting for Dan Quayle. I think I even asked if I could split my vote despite knowing very well the answer was no...

I agree that the lack of interest in foreign affairs is what's most telling. For a gov., fine. For a VP...not so much.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
But not Sarah Palin? Yeah, I voted for George Bush the first...and pretended to myself that I wasn't also voting for Dan Quayle. I think I even asked if I could split my vote despite knowing very well the answer was no...

I agree that the lack of interest in foreign affairs is what's most telling. For a gov., fine. For a VP...not so much.

Yeah, I voted for Bush I as well-Quayle turned out to be less than consequential, but the old man really pissed me off! Had to cash in an IRA to pay my "read my lips" income tax. Don't really mind income tax as much as some, but it was a little different at the time....could have used some notice, instead of believeing him like I did....gotta say, as bad as the Caligula from Arkansas was in some ways, he was good for the economy, and he never screwed with my money when he said he wouldn't!

Let's just say that I'm very disappointed in Mr. McCain's choice of running mate-it's strategically sound, in that she panders to the further to the right elements of the right wing, the evangelical set, the pro-gun set, the right-to-life set, but she's not a good choice as far as back up goes......I do not want her to be President, ever........

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
....er, I think I've already said that I'm voting for McCain.....

Yeah, and unless the debates show something unforeseen, I'm planning to go Obama/Biden........ I just think there are much more formidable reasons for voting Democratic this time around than common spoils system politics.

The more time we waste on Obama's middle name or Palin's motherhood, the less time we spend on issues we shoud be studying - Iran/Iraq, immigration, jobs, taxes. It isn't just who gets in, it is also what kind of citizens we are.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I voted for Bush I as well-Quayle turned out to be less than consequential, but the old man really pissed me off! Had to cash in an IRA to pay my "read my lips" income tax.

I think it's funny that the Sr. Bush's two biggest promises came into conflict. No new taxes and the promise to work with the Democratic congress. To honor one meant to break the other. (Isn't that some sort of hollywood movie tagline?)

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not even American and I can answer that one...

I'd think it was a bad sign if a Canadian politician didn't know what the Bush Doctrine is, let alone a American one. That should be a big embarrassment.

Yeah, it would be, if it had happened. As it is, it's embarrassing enough that an American "journalist" doesn't know what the Bush Doctrine is.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Yeah, it would be, if it had happened. As it is, it's embarrassing enough that an American "journalist" doesn't know what the Bush Doctrine is.

Well, that's about the slickest bit of spin I've seen yet:I was the first to use the term, so I should know what it means. :lol:

Fact is, to the rest of us mere mortal citizens, the Bush Doctrine means about what the reporter said it did, except he used the wrong word: it's not "preemptive" war, it's preventive. Otherwise, it's what everyone understands it to be, except, apparently, Sarah Palin.

From the Wiki that Mr. Krauthammer linked to:

The Bush Doctrine is a phrase used to describe various related foreign policy principles of United States president George W. Bush, created in the wake of the September 11, 2001 attacks. The phrase initially described the policy that the United States had the right to treat countries that harbor or give aid to terrorist groups as terrorists themselves, which was used to justify the invasion of Afghanistan.[1] Later it came to include additional elements, including the controversial policy of preventive war, which held that the United States should depose foreign regimes that represented a threat to the security of the United States, even if that threat was not immediate (used to justify the invasion of Iraq), a policy of supporting democracy around the world, especially in the Middle East, as a strategy for combating the spread of terrorism, and a willingness to pursue U.S. military interests in a unilateral way.[

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fact is, to the rest of us mere mortal citizens, the Bush Doctrine means about what the reporter said it did, except he used the wrong word: it's not "preemptive" war, it's preventive. Otherwise, it's what everyone understands it to be, except, apparently, Sarah Palin.

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

Because a majority of "mere mortal citizens" uses the term incorrectly, doesn't automagically make their definition correct. And the wiki you posted says exactly the same thing Krauthammer said - that the Bush Doctrine refers to several different principles. Only difference is that it goes on to say that it was first used to refer to a policy of treating terror-enabling countries as fellow terrorists. Which still isn't the definition that Gibson used. And it is that definition that I generally use when discussing the Bush Doctrine, rather than the pre-emptive war one, so you can see why it may be useful to get the context that the questioner is using. But what do I know, I'm a mere mortal citizen.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

Because a majority of "mere mortal citizens" uses the term incorrectly, doesn't automagically make their definition correct. And the wiki you posted says exactly the same thing Krauthammer said - that the Bush Doctrine refers to several different principles. Only difference is that it goes on to say that it was first used to refer to a policy of treating terror-enabling countries as fellow terrorists. Which still isn't the definition that Gibson used. And it is that definition that I generally use when discussing the Bush Doctrine, rather than the pre-emptive war one, so you can see why it may be useful to get the context that the questioner is using. But what do I know, I'm a mere mortal citizen.

She didn't answer the question adequately when he explained which plank of the Bush Doctrine he was referring to, either.

She probably wasn't asking which aspect of the Bush Doctrine he meant:unilateralism, preemptive war, spreading democracy ( :lol:) whatever-it looks to everyone like she didn't know, because she didn't know-or she'd have answered. Of course, it'll get spun that she was looking for clarification about something that's nuanced and led to an ambiguous question, but that's okay.......
....it's not going to cost McCain any votes.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
And why is the McCAin campaign trying to block the state of Alaska's "Palin ethics inquiry," when she "supported it wholeheartedly" before being named V.P. candidate?

Seen here

A former top Justice Department prosecutor now working for John McCain's presidential campaign has been helping to direct an aggressive legal strategy aimed at shutting down a pre-election ethics investigation into Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

The growing role of Edward O'Callaghan, who until six weeks ago served as co-chief of the terrorism and national security unit of the U.S. attorney's office in New York, illustrates just how seriously the McCain campaign is taking the so-called "troopergate" inquiry into Palin's firing last summer of Walt Monegan, Alaska's Public Safety Commissioner

:rolleyes:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Elder,
sorry, i would have gotten back to this thread earlier, but i am still suffering post Ike internet issues.

The fact remains that this woman has been attacked far out of proportion to any previous vice presidential candidate.

And given the old say 'you only get flack when you are over the target" it really hits home just how scared the dems are of Sarah palin

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

it really hits home just how scared the dems are of Sarah palin

Not for long, I'm afraid-there's too many substantial and verifiable skeletons in the woman's closet, and even more that point to the kind of character that a lot of people don't like to see on display.

They haven't been calling her Sarahcuda since middle school for nothing....:lol:

The fact remains that this woman has been attacked far out of proportion to any previous vice presidential candidate.

Really? Out of proportion to Geraldine Ferraro?

Hope you're doing okay down there......

Last edited:

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not for long, I'm afraid-there's too many substantial and verifiable skeletons in the woman's closet, and even more that point to the kind of character that a lot of people don't like to see on display.

They haven't been calling her Sarahcuda since middle school for nothing....:lol:

Really? Out of proportion to Geraldine Ferraro?

Hope you're doing okay down there......

You don't honestly think that the skeletons in her closet are disproportionately more than any other politician...do you?