San Shou

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks

I'm going to be entering a tournament in March and I would like to compete in san shou. The problem is that I've never competed in it before and I am unsure about the rules. I have a copy of them but they don't specify what kind of takedowns I am allowed to do. I originally thought just throws and sweeps but I recently saw a clip of what I am sure was san shou and they were doing double leg takedowns and other wrestling style takedowns. Anybody who is familiar with the rules on what kind of takedowns are allowed and doesn't mind writing them down here for me would be greatly appreciated.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always had the impression you coudl do almost any takedown provided your boxing gloves didn't make it impossible. But then, all the SS matches I've seen feature one SS guy, and another cluelss guy who gets dumped on his head by scissor leg takedowns for three rounds straight. ;)

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo_man said:
Hi folks

I'm going to be entering a tournament in March and I would like to compete in san shou. The problem is that I've never competed in it before and I am unsure about the rules. I have a copy of them but they don't specify what kind of takedowns I am allowed to do. I originally thought just throws and sweeps but I recently saw a clip of what I am sure was san shou and they were doing double leg takedowns and other wrestling style takedowns. Anybody who is familiar with the rules on what kind of takedowns are allowed and doesn't mind writing them down here for me would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what you will be facing

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7838193923189617407&q=kung+fu

the guy in the second video owns.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2829058868804079758&q=kung+fu

OP
Kenpo_man

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for those videos, they really give a good idea what to look for. Those guys were pretty good, fun to watch. Didn't scare me away though, lol.

Latest Discussions