Congratulations to Shirt Ripper

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just wanna say congrats to my buddy Shirt Ripper on his first class of Aikido tonight.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, how'd you like the class? I've been thinking about taking an Aikido class in my new home town, since I've moved again and don't have a regular training group - again. It sounds like the art in the area that interest me most. My instructor is still about 5 hours away, and that turns out to make a visit nice for a weekend out of every month.

So I'd be really interested in your take. What style of Aikido is your school?

I just don't know how I feel about the funny pajamas. Of course, I'm a ninja. Who am I to talk about other people's funny pajamas?

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hapkidos way better...but aikidos alright I suppose...just joking!

Congrats hows the wrists and joints!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:partyon:

Learning how to roll and fall will be neat, particularly for a weight lifter! Best of luck in your class!

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor has trained in Akido for many years, as a secondary art to "Oyata Shi shu ho Ryu" and its a good mix for me...I haven't done much on the rolling and such, but we learn to use the opponents body aginist them...So akido is really fun...but suprisingly big nicks homie hasn't responded yet...Shirt ripper? yeah wheres your boy at Nick? I would like to know what he thought of the class

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats on starting a new class. So tell us about it - how was your first night?

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to all but unfortunately this first class was limited to a breif Q and A to those you may not have known what they're getting themselves into, a discussion of the syllabus (the intro course is offered through a few of the local universities-one of which has a complicated system for that type of thing) and a formal demonstration by the instructor and several of the students from the class immediately before the intro. class (which I watched :) ). There was also some logistics to be taken care of (i.e. registering with the dojo, etc.)

I was impressed, however, in my observation of the class prior to mine. I watched it(along with bignick) one time before and this time the group seemed much more dynamic. At one point, as many of the student were struggling with two "sister" techniques and finding the smaller differences the instructor called on an elder student to face him with a bokken. He proceeded to demonstrate the techniques sword art's equivalent (and likely, it's root). Very cool to see, I thought.

Anyway, the first practice will likey be on Monday(Jan.23rd) and I will detail my initial experiences shortly thereafter.

P.S. My dojo (did I just say that?) will have gi's available for purchase in a range of 55-70$, as I will require a larger size I am sure it will likely be the high end.
Any links to a supplier of the heavier judo style gi's would be appreciated (bignick?)!

Thank you.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bignick said:
Just wanna say congrats to my buddy Shirt Ripper on his first class of Aikido tonight.
Kudos to Shirt Ripper, it's an art I'm still considering taking.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best of luck with your first class, sir! I hope you enjoy it!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy it, just watch the joints.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrads on starting a new art.

Im glad to here that the instructor took the first class to go over those "small' things that may not have been asked and to let folks know what they where getting into

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm a couple months in and writing a brief reflection paper (to give sensei a different view of where we might be at...mind set, etc.) so I figured I'd throw a thought or two on here...eh? Okay.

As far as physical practice, thus far it has been a piece of cake (Mmmm...now I want cake). Little soreness, no significant "hurts" or injuries and only yesterday did I really get out of breath. The practice is really no slouch I don't think either, about 1 h 10 min usually of straight throwing.

As far as technical progression, I think I am doing alright (whatever that means) and my only real "nitch" in life is the biomechanical management of the human body and it's movement so I may have an advantage there. This will likely sell me short of perhaps, deeper, interpretations of the practice...:idunno: .

The greatest challenge thus far would be the direct and "close-quaters" interaction with others. I'm kinda big, I bump into people and break them...so I avoid it. Most of my training in strongman and powerlifting and the like brings me to solitude so it's beens strange training literally with others.

In yesterdays practice I had the privledge of being thown by my instructor for the first time, several times...definetely a different and vital view point of the techniques.

Hmmm.

...there are a few people who really need to get a hang of Ukemi, for their own safety...

But, then, what the hell do I know...two months...sheesh!

:idunno:

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
[

...there are a few people who really need to get a hang of Ukemi, for their own safety...

But, then, what the hell do I know...two months...sheesh!

:idunno:[/quote]

Good ukemi is very important. My aikido Sensei would run us through at least 30 min of straight rolls and falls one after another to warm up each class. It really helps in the long run... Also being Uke really does give a different perspective on the techniques. I had a bad habit of making comments like "I just don't see how that would really work" I gained lotes of Practical experience following those comments:)

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tonight (5-8-06) was my last class. We had a final demonstration which turned out to be a solo deal, as opposed to the two or three people normally demonstrating techniques. Went really well. After mine, sensei made several comments of how well executed my techniques were and the elements beyond technique, blah, blah, blah...but he didn't say anything about anyone else after theirs. Hmm...either I actually have done well or have been terrible this entire time and pulled something from my rectum. :idunno: I enjoyed this practice and am glad I did it.

Ummm...If I come up with more thoughts I may lay them down...dunno...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Starting in any martial arts is one of the best thing a person can do for themselves.

Having a first day...that was good. Hopefully many more days of training will turn into years and years.

It will be looking back on your past training (as days,months,years go by) is when you can see the progress of your growth. Remember this.

Congrats...never quit....train hard...enjoy the learning of new things in your life ...................Aloha