San Francisco Bill Paul judo and non violent self defense

raventony

White Belt
Reaction score
Dear everyone,
How are you doing? Hope all is ok with you.
I'm completely my researches about Bill Paul a late martial artist in San Francisco and creator of non violent self defense system.
He was from San Francisco and he died in 1989.
Probably he was a pioneer of martial arts in San Francisco in a period when martial arts science was dominated from few martial arts and Chinatown had few schools.
Hope you can help me.
Take care.
Tony

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wing Chun Sifu in San Francisco was a very close friend of Bill Paul. I don’t know anything about Bill’s training other than he was a judo guy and my Wing Chun Sifu said Bill was probably the very best martial artist that he ever knew. That is plenty good enough for me.
Both men are deceased, Bill died several decades ago.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I apologize, I thought that referred to inappropriate language. I was just agreeing in the language of the post that I was replying to; and I got to dust off my Latin. My sincerest apologies.
no worries, I'm not a Mod, just wanted to let you know before they noticed..

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't generally get too worked up over a single line like this, where the context is pretty obvious. Or abut things like De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est, or other commonly known non-English phrases. But even with these, it's not a bad idea to append the English translation.

OP
R

raventony

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry it's my fault . Meaning "There is no accounting for taste(s)" "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes"

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can do it. Most grappling has the option.

You just need to be super slick at closing the distance.

I like the idea because it means you need to obtain positional Dominance. Which is also the better option if you want to hurt someone.

Rather than relying on violence from a position that they can do equal and opposite violence.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had to watch a few videos to understand the purpose. My first take was that it was stupid. But if put into the context of being in a situation where you don't want hurt someone "healthcare worker." then I can see the value of getting out of harm's way without harming your attacker
Context is everything and he shows the difference here with the push to the chest vs push to the shoulder

"Non-violent self-defense" is probably not the best term for this system. Probably could have used someone in marketing to brand that a little better.

Latest Discussions