Samurai Gardner

Old CJ

White Belt
Reaction score
The Samurai were famous for their creations of Japanese gardens and horticultural creations (Mums Japanese Maples etc...) This is what many of them did during their 'off gassing' time. I forgot why I started this thread but my roses are fixin to explode and bring joy to the planet. My irises aren't blooming so great but they are are a good lead-in to what's coming.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think all the peripheral stuff that comes alongside learning the martial arts has given me more pleasure than the art itself! Gardening, bonsai, Zen, wabi sabi, tea culture, poetry, Noh/kabuki…I love them so much!

My other half permitted me a narrow strip of the garden to do as I wished and so, I did this:
46177D91-66D3-42B6-B4B7-D033128B85AA.jpeg

9E4D602A-A005-4C48-8E8D-DB6299AA4BB5.jpeg
09AE5755-3E2B-408F-A614-4353CB1F5A52.jpeg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Samurai were famous for their creations of Japanese gardens and horticultural creations (Mums Japanese Maples etc...) This is what many of them did during their 'off gassing' time. I forgot why I started this thread but my roses are fixin to explode and bring joy to the planet. My irises aren't blooming so great but they are are a good lead-in to what's coming.
Last fall, I broke myself planting 2,500 flower bulbs. Daffodils, tulips, iris, lilies, and assorted others that grow in zone 6a. They're all pushing up now.

I've posted here before about the meditative quality of gardening, and the links I find between my martial arts training and gardening. From the physical repetitive motions to the patience to learning to relax, they seem to be related.

Thanks for the photos, love what you created!

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have an large area that I have a grand plan for a garden. The garden will be inspired by the illiad and the Greek religious stories. It will be divided into 4 or 5 sections. Each section will be associated with a Greek God and have thier statue. Except one, Hades. That section of the garden will not be accessible from the normal garden. You will need to leave the garden to get on the path. There will be a small water way representing the river Stix with a bridge. There are many plants that have black flowers that i could have. The end of the path will have a tall fenced in area where I put all my yard waste and have buried a few family pets.
On a lighter note I plan on putting in a pond. Maybe have some Koi.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last fall, I broke myself planting 2,500 flower bulbs. Daffodils, tulips, iris, lilies, and assorted others that grow in zone 6a. They're all pushing up now.
How many?😳
I've posted here before about the meditative quality of gardening, and the links I find between my martial arts training and gardening. From the physical repetitive motions to the patience to learning to relax, they seem to be related.
It just stresses me as I want everything to be perfect and my current garden is a mess!
Thanks for the photos, love what you created!
🙏🏽

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an large area that I have a grand plan for a garden. The garden will be inspired by the illiad and the Greek religious stories. It will be divided into 4 or 5 sections. Each section will be associated with a Greek God and have thier statue. Except one, Hades. That section of the garden will not be accessible from the normal garden. You will need to leave the garden to get on the path. There will be a small water way representing the river Stix with a bridge. There are many plants that have black flowers that i could have. The end of the path will have a tall fenced in area where I put all my yard waste and have buried a few family pets.
On a lighter note I plan on putting in a pond. Maybe have some Koi.
You must take and post photos of your progress as it sounds an amazing project. I can’t decide if you’re a (wealthy) genius or a (wealthy) overly-ambitious type 😄

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I grew up on a 100 acre beef cattle farm, and we raised a 2 acre family vegetable and herb garden. Now, as an adult, I live in town, but I do have a garden in my front yard (the only place that my lot gets full sun). I have 8 raised beds, 2 fig trees, blueberry bushes and a quince bush.

I don't have much to add, other than I too find much satisfaction in gardening.

I currently have my tomato and chili plants propagating under grow lights in my basement, anticipating the last frost in Zone 6!

FWIW, I also love foraging. Its just starting ramp and morel season!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Just because it's me, I have to cover something here...

The idea of a samurai-designed garden isn't really about pretty, or something done in "down time", or to relax... most commonly, it was designing the "gardens" of a castle fortification (as Musashi aided in for Himeji-jo), with designs based around pathways and entrances in order to provide defensive capabilities for the persons in the castle themselves. Other pursuits, such as ikebana (flower arranging) were considered part of the social refinement and cultural education of samurai, and were often treated as seriously as the martial study they engaged in.

Congrats on the garden, by the way!

Latest Discussions