Samurai aikijutsu

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If we are taking the name from Obata Sensei's book, he is a holder of many different dan rankings and licences from a number of arts, including... Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu...

A quick update: a little research has disproved this with respect to Daito-ryu.

Obata sensei has no formal training in Daito-ryu, let alone rank or a teaching license.

You can view this thread on the Aikido Journal forum for confirmation of this, from one of Obata sensei's students. Here's the key part:
"Basically, Obata Sensei does not have any formal training in Daito-ryu. As an uchi-deshi at the Yoshinkan under Shioda Sensei, he was exposed to "older" AJJ techniques in addition to the regular curriculum. The book and video were both based on this experience and his own research of Daito-ryu."​
http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10373&highlight=toshiro+obata

Yet another example of the circumspection with which one must treat any claim of experience, rank, teaching qualifications, etc. in Daito-ryu. To reiterate, there are very few bona fide Daito-ryu groups out there, especially outside of Japan.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
While in the Police Academy in Joplin, Mo. I studied under John Karriman sensei at the Butokuden West Aikikai.......but that was only for a few months. I learned some very interesting and useful things there, but not enough to comment on anything of substance about Kokoro Ryu Aikijutsu or Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

I hope you didn't think I was trying to single you out for criticism. That was not my intent. Thanks for taking my comment in the spirit in which I wrote it.

In general, the best sources of reliable information about Daito-ryu in English are the pubications from Stanley Prannin's Aikido Journal website. Mr Prannin, a high-ranking aikidoka himself, did some groundbreaking research into Daito-ryu a few years ago. Also, the e-budo discussion forum has a lively Aikijujutsu section that draws a good number of people who train regularly at legitimate DR dojos.

For technical information, Kondo sensei's 2-dvd Ikkajo set (also from Aikido Journal) is a very good investment. The techniques are demonstrated very capably and the explanations are thorough and easy to understand. Of course, no substitute for on-the-mat training, but as far as dvd's go, they're first-rate IMO. And the on-the-mat training, unfortunately, is pretty scarce.

OP
T

tommieslade

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the info Mr. Parker. I was thinking more in lines of what I read is Jujutsu, which from reading some things is a little different than jujitsu. But I could be wrong about that as well. I am also interested in the sword as well. I live in Wilson, NC. The closest largest city is Raleigh, NC

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not to get too much into the language thing again (it's kind of been done to death here...), but "jitsu" means "truth", and "jutsu" means "practical art". So "jujitsu" is a misspelling, "jujutsu" is accurate.

Again, I would suggest the mainstream groups such as the Genbukan/KJJR, which will suit those needs and more, but you could also find a jujutsu school if you're lucky. Maybe someone here who lives near your location will know of something, other than that, google is your friend!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Parker said:
Not to get too much into the language thing again (it's kind of been done to death here...), but "jitsu" means "truth", and "jutsu" means "practical art". So "jujitsu" is a misspelling, "jujutsu" is accurate

No, "jujitsu" is not a "misspelling" any more than "teriyaki", which should, properly, be "tare yake".

For those who didn't follow the other thread, I'll mention that a quick check of the dictionary for "jujitsu " will correct this misperception.

Here we go again....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems that most of the koryu people refer to JuJutsu and the Gendai people refer to it as JuJitsu. Take a look at George Kirby's org. They refer to what they do as Budoshin JuJitsu, yet the KJJR refer to what they do as JuJutsu. Surely each of these spellings are just basic translations of phonetics.

Some of the finest exponants of the art that I have witnessed in the UK, refer to what they do as JuJitsu.

Spell the term any which way and then concentrate on training.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I want to learn Samurai aikijutsu. The problem is there is not anyone here in our community or surrounding towns/cities that teach this. The closest in in Virginia(the upper part). Being from Wilson NC, there is no way I can make this trip on a consistent basis if at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi Tommie,

Your best bet for "Samurai" techniques are the various Koryu schools, which are rarer than hen's teeth in a lot of areas.

Jujutsu is derived from Kumi-uchi which is a name for the armoured grappling systems practiced in feudal Japan, very similar to the Kampfringen practiced by European knights. "Samurai Aikijujutsu" sounds like a "trade name" to me. Could very well be bogus. Do your research. Also keep in mind that like the medieval knight, the Samurai preferred to use weapons, though both were expert grapplers. Any Samurai art will likely have weaponry as its main focus.

So if you're interested in classical Japanese martial arts, you will have to work hard just to find them. Check out Koryu.com for info on them. Keep in mind that different schools train techniques from different periods of history, depending on the date of their founding.

If you cannot find an Koryu, then you should pursue a related or similar art, like jujustu, one of the x-kans, or German longsword or something, since the training you get from them will transfer nicely into Koryu should you be able to find it later.

Some koryu have seminars you can travel to and attend as well. I will be attending the HNIR seminar here in Calgary this summer. I even got a Kim Taylor bokuto daisho for the occaision.

If NONE of that is possible, try to take any good MA you can. Good candidates include MMA (for the resistance) and Classical (not sport) fencing (for the fanatical attention to perfect posture and body mechanics).

Good luck!

Best regards,

-Mark

OP
T

tommieslade

White Belt
Reaction score
I know you all didn't not mean to, I mean I know all of you are only trying to help and you have by correcting me and increasing my knowledge base, and I really appreciate that. I enjoy learning, in fact at times I crave it, but I am discouraged now. Discouraged because of the place I live in makes it almost impossible to learn remotely what I was inquiring about, discouraged because of a spelling error I made, discouraged due to one person even saying what is the ???? is....., but herein lies the rub. Keep giving the information, because I do like to learn. I will get over the discouragement and replace it with knowledge

Latest Discussions