Salt vs fighting in the real world

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Coming from a kung fu back ground the training I recieved is never go hard against hard unless it is certain you have the better structure, otherwise you are just clashing and eating energy. Soft against soft doesn't get much accomplished. Use force directed at your opponents and have supurior structure and leverage, so techniques thrown at you can be sheered off or redirected. This is how a smaller person can beat a bigger person. Larger stronger people do not have to be as precise in thier fighting, but smaller people can, and do, beat larger stronger opponents.

As far as people nit picking Angelina Jolet's movie as not being realistic...really? That's kind of a no brainer. What movie is realistic? What action flick has realistic fight scenes? Realistic does not loan itself to good movie scenes.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Coming from a kung fu back ground the training I recieved is never go hard against hard unless it is certain you have the better structure, otherwise you are just clashing and eating energy. Soft against soft doesn't get much accomplished. Use force directed at your opponents and have supurior structure and leverage, so techniques thrown at you can be sheered off or redirected. This is how a smaller person can beat a bigger person. Larger stronger people do not have to be as precise in thier fighting, but smaller people can, and do, beat larger stronger opponents.

As far as people nit picking Angelina Jolet's movie as not being realistic...really? That's kind of a no brainer. What movie is realistic? What action flick has realistic fight scenes? Realistic does not loan itself to good movie scenes.

I hear that man. In fact, for years I avoided martial arts movies, even now I don't really watch them because nothing is even close to reality. TV karate and real karate are totally opposite.

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's hollywood what can you expect?

Having a black belt and being able to do a cinematically pleasing choreography are two different skills. For one the cameras couldn't capture an MA that is performed in a realistic manner.
With this, tell me the most realistic movie fight scene you can think of.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Relax man, you know your style and how it does things. Nothing at all wrong with that, in fact I like seeing how different styles do things. Still if we want to get into the receiving and passing energy thing we should get an aikido or hapkido guy in on this. I will say though that when I was doing Choi Kwang Do which is a pretty well thought out and organized style, movements were circular rather than linear in all cases and while accepting the energy in a block this arc acts as a can opener on the opponent's defenses.

I'm relaxed. I only mean that I am not an expert in any style, not even my own - two years of training does not an expert make. So I'm describing what I've been taught and told. I'm fascinated by other styles like you are. I know there are many ways to do things, and most all of them are quite effective when applied as intended. I do know that we do apply hard blocks sometimes, using the muscle pad rather than the bone, and we've been told there's a reason for it. Other than that, I can't say.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Omar, I know what you mean about not watching the movies, but I enjoy the fight scenes. There is skill to well choreographed fight scenes and some scenes take physical gifted actors to perform. I can appreciate those things about fight scenes.

Mark, right off the top of my head, I can'tthink of any movie fight scenes that are realistic. Maybe the Jason Bourne movie might be the most realistic that I can think of,,,but it is still movie choreography.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know how realistic it was, but I enjoyed the fight scenes in "Black Belt" (Kuro Obi) and thought it was relatively realistic.

Being realistic in MA movies may make things a bit boring to the average couch-potato. But I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kuro Obi was a cool movie, but as a MA movie it didn't have a lot of fighting. For a drama (which it was) it had a lot of fighting.

There are some actors I like watching even though I tend to stay away from MA movies. Bruce Lee is a must, as is Michael Jai white, Scott Adkins, Chuck Norris.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Not nearly as realistic as "Wanted". I'm still trying to learn her ability to bend bullets, but haven't mastered the technique yet... ;)

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For a second there it almost seemed like Blood Money was using Martial Arts as a description of "Unarmed Combat"
When Martial arts originally was for military and weapons. At least in Eastern Culture...

Latest Discussions